Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   New Aftermarket head unit kit option (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466017)

GoldCartridgeGamer 09-07-2016 10:48 AM

New Aftermarket head unit kit option

Found this head unit replacement kit today and like how it retains some of the stock look. I dislike the Scosche and Metra kit. I am not a mylink fan either.

http://shopddmods-com.3dcartstores.c...aro_p_433.html

Anyone seen this one before? Any experience with it?

Snoman 09-07-2016 12:06 PM

Looks amazing at first glance, product page is sketchy from an installer POV....waiting on their design tech to call me back

GoldCartridgeGamer 09-07-2016 12:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWYqg1Od_bk

CreeperRS 09-07-2016 01:28 PM

Looks like a good product, a different approach than what's currently on the market. First I've heard of this.

Snoman 09-07-2016 01:41 PM

Spoke with the tech/owner for an hour, it's legit.

The product is from PAC and has been in R&D for a few years and is nearly completely plug-n-play. The only 'hard' thing to do is that your OEM knobs need to be pop'd off and used on this kit.

Creeper, we've never heard of it because until about 18hrs ago, it wasn't on the market : )

ddmods has 4 in stock and another 75 will arrive Friday iirc. PAC will have an additional 400 produced by Oct 1 and another 1,000 by Nov 1. Basically, supply is expected to be limited for awhile.

CreeperRS 09-07-2016 01:47 PM

I have no intention of doing a HU replacement anytime soon, but I might pick one up just to try it out, sometime down the road. Thanks for verifying the unit.

jeffa 09-07-2016 02:04 PM

But will it work with a 2014 My Link with built in navigation? The Scosche kit can't, and I'm pretty sure that the Metra kit can't either.

Snoman 09-07-2016 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffa (Post 9298656)
But will it work with a 2014 My Link with built in navigation? The Scosche kit can't, and I'm pretty sure that the Metra kit can't either.

I don't understand the question as what your asking doesn't make sense to me. Upgrading a mylink non-nav to a mylink with nav is a 100% waste of money (and time), but yea...people do it but this kit was never designed for that market share.

The PAC kit is for aftermarket radios to be installed while retaining the factory look. I'm thinking they were able to bypass GM product patents (or obtain a limited one) by sourcing vehicle owners OEM knobs. Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, Sony, etc, single or double DIN and works with all standard factory Camaro options, regular and premium OEM radio wiring, stereo controls and AC. ddmods is even giving the PAC kit away for free with Kenwood's top line as a package deal.

GoldCartridgeGamer 09-07-2016 06:28 PM

May look into this then. Glad to hear. Looks legit in the video.

jeffa 09-07-2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoman (Post 9298711)
I don't understand the question as what your asking doesn't make sense to me. Upgrading a mylink non-nav to a mylink with nav is a 100% waste of money (and time), but yea...people do it but this kit was never designed for that market share.

The PAC kit is for aftermarket radios to be installed while retaining the factory look. I'm thinking they were able to bypass GM product patents (or obtain a limited one) by sourcing vehicle owners OEM knobs. Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, Sony, etc, single or double DIN and works with all standard factory Camaro options, regular and premium OEM radio wiring, stereo controls and AC. ddmods is even giving the PAC kit away for free with Kenwood's top line as a package deal.

What I mean is that the Scosche kit will not work with 2013-2015 Camaros with a My Link radio with built-in navigation from the factory. Something to do with wiring changes for the My Links with internal navi systems. So my question is will this new PAC kit work when you replace a 2013-2015 My Link with internal navi for an aftermarket radio.

In my 2012 1LT, I had the standard radio (as all Camaros did from 2010-2012). I had a Scosche kit in that car with an Alpine head unit, and everything worked great.

wrtowman 09-07-2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffa (Post 9299292)
What I mean is that the Scosche kit will not work with 2013-2015 Camaros with a My Link radio with built-in navigation from the factory. Something to do with wiring changes for the My Links with internal navi systems. So my question is will this new PAC kit work when you replace a 2013-2015 My Link with internal navi for an aftermarket radio.

In my 2012 1LT, I had the standard radio (as all Camaros did from 2010-2012). I had a Scosche kit in that car with an Alpine head unit, and everything worked great.

We are not gonna have that info. It just came out today. I would call them if I were you.

Double D Mods 09-07-2016 08:44 PM

YES
Will work with Mylink...

ZeuSS2011 09-07-2016 09:26 PM

Ordered.....

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

GoldCartridgeGamer 09-07-2016 09:27 PM

Very tempted.