Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hows my head look (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465848)

2010_camaro 09-06-2016 06:46 AM

Hows my head look

2 Attachment(s)
Well I got my head back from the machine shop. They was able to put new seats in and checked it for cracks. Said all was good. I'm waiting on my exhaust valves.

Badfinger 09-06-2016 06:53 AM

Holy crap how much did they remove???

frankwjr 09-06-2016 06:58 AM

I just threw up in my mouth...sorry...

2010reddevil 09-06-2016 07:48 AM

Uhhh yeah...........no. I'd be installing a new set of GMPP ported castings or at the very least a clean set of used ones before ever putting that back on.

3rdgen3 09-06-2016 08:51 AM

Do not run that head like that.

You have tons of nooks and ridges and peeks everywhere. This is going to cause hot spots and you're going to have serious issues with detonation on that cylinder.

You need to get all imperfections welded in and than the entire chamber will need to be CNC'd after to fix that head properly.

Than you need to mill the other head thats not damaged to match this one since it looks like they milled a TON of the head surface down.

JD555 09-06-2016 09:23 AM

It will run but i wouldn't use it.

davidscamaro 09-06-2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdgen3 (Post 9296128)

You have tons of nooks and ridges and peeks everywhere. This is going to cause hot spots and you're going to have serious issues with detonation on that cylinder.

You need to get all imperfections welded in and than the entire chamber will need to be CNC'd after to fix that head properly.

Than you need to mill the other head thats not damaged to match this one since it looks like they milled a TON of the head surface down.

My thoughts exactly,all those imperfections will be like multiple spark plugs that go off when ever they heat up enough. A combustion at the wrong time will bend a rod or break a piston :doh: do not use the head

Swacer 09-06-2016 10:55 AM

Was this done by a child?

zz430camaro 09-06-2016 11:03 AM

You cant be serious, just get a replacement head for crying out loud.

JerTM 09-06-2016 11:12 AM

I wouldn't have even wasted my money on taking that garbaged out head to the machine shop in the first place. Like said before, you're going to have issues on the cylinder if you use it.

Bo White 09-06-2016 11:32 AM

Could have been done better.
The heads on my car looked like that. Now you can't tell anything was done and just took .005" off for a clean up pass.

acammer 09-06-2016 01:09 PM

That's insane - are the serious about sending you out the door with that going back on the car? Like it's been stated, that's a nightmare of spark knock waiting to happen. I'm guessing this a boosted car (turbo in the background) - so I'd think you'll compound that issue. Not to mentioned they've easily raised the compression a few tenths. How long till you think you have trouble with one of those seats again?

I'd return your large paper weight and get your money back.

What's the back story on the failure here?

Anthony @ LG Motorsports 09-06-2016 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdgen3 (Post 9296128)

I agree with him.

It even has dents past the fire ring, or it looks like it in that picture. Not saying it couldn't have been fixed but one new head would have been cheaper than to fix it (the correct way) as they would have to weld it, mill it, and port it. Stock head it just isn't worth it.

Unreal 09-06-2016 02:37 PM

Looks like an expensive paperweight.

I wouldn't run that on a bone stock car, let alone something pushing for 1000+.