Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Consumer Guide's Impressions of the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3915)

camaro5 04-27-2008 04:29 PM

Consumer Guide's Impressions of the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

Interesting facts and speculation:

Chevrolet's ponycar comes back in early 2009 as a coupe that will flip its lid by the end of the year. It's a great nostalgia trip, but will there be a market for it?

What We Know About the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
As it was then, so it is now. The Camaro, born 40 years ago as Chevrolet's reply to the pioneering Ford Mustang, is coming out of retirement (since 2002) for a new fight with the namesake ponycar. It's set to bow for 2010 in at least two coupe models-V6 and V8, perhaps called RS and SS, respectively. Convertible versions join up several months later. Chevrolet confirmed these plans after splashy concept previews at the 2006 and '07 Detroit Auto Shows. Recalling the days when the Big Three were still big players, Dodge is reviving its Nixon-era Challenger (1970-74) for 2008.

General Motors decided to bring back Camaro when the redesigned 2005 Mustang fast proved a hot seller. But Mustang sales have lately cooled, despite the addition of potent pump-primers like the Shelby GT500. Blame record gas prices and renewed public concern over what thirsty vehicles do to the environment. Ford Motor Company's many well-publicized travails are another factor. All this leads some industry-watchers to think the new Camaro could end up chasing a vanishing market, especially as GM still has troubles of its own. Nevertheless, the project is a go. And though GM has reportedly hit the pause button on several other new rear-wheel-drive cars, it's unlikely to delay this one, let alone cancel it, after two years of making so much noise about it.

Convertible or coupe, the reborn Camaros will be much like the concepts, only less exaggerated. Wheels, for instance, will probably be no larger than 20 inches max, versus the show cars' 21s and 22s. Trim and paint will be toned down too. Otherwise, styling will be the concept blend of today's Chevy Corvette and cues from the 1969 Camaro, resulting in a more-modern look than either the current Mustang or upcoming Dodge Challenger. The new Camaros should also hew closely to concept dimensions. That means about 7.5 inches more wheelbase than the 2002 models, a similar amount trimmed from overall length, and about 5.5 inches more width. These changes should produce a roomier four-seat cockpit, though space in back (and in the trunks) will remain tight.

Also per ponycar tradition, the new Camaros will offer at least one budget-friendly V6 and one performance-oriented V8. Models using the V6 will employ GM's newer 3.6-liter twincam design with direct injection, as found in the Cadillac CTS. The V8, as on the concepts, should be the 6.0-liter base-Corvette engine equipped with GM's gas-saving Active Fuel Management cylinder-deactivation. If gas prices keep rising, GM's Bob Lutz has suggested the company may look at powering the Camaro with turbocharged 4-cylinder engines. Chevy may also offer a lower-power, lower-cost V-8, as Mustang does. All Camaro engines should team with six-speed manual or optional six-speed automatic transmissions. Four-wheel ABS disc brakes and traction control will likely be standard. Stability control should be included on V-8s, optional on V-6s. Coupes will likely have front torso side airbags and curtain side airbags. Ragtops may come with jumbo seat-mounted front side airbags providing both torso and head protection.

We said "ragtops" for a reason. For the sake of affordability as well as tradition, Camaro convertibles will retain a folding soft top. A trendy hideaway hard-shell roof would have cost too much for GM's price target, and might have caused reliability and production headaches. As on the concept, the top powers up or down from a flip-up panel behind the cockpit-no need for a fiddly flexible tonneau to look your best, as on the last drop-top Camaro.
A Notable Feature of the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
The 2010 Chevrolet Camaro coupes and convertibles will be built at GM's plant in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, which has long ranked high in independent audits of vehicle quality, among the best in North America. Let's hope that record continues with the new Camaros.

Buying Advice for the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
Convertibles never sell as well as sister coupes, and the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro convertible should be no exception. Even so, it's no more likely to be a future collectible than the fixed-top Camaro, especially if demand comes close to GM's projected 100,000-unit yearly total. And even if that proves optimistic, resale values of all new Camaros will probably depreciate like those of any volume-production new car. Buy one to drive and enjoy, but don't expect to make money on it in the foreseeable future.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro Release Date: Dealers should have new Camaro coupes by March 2009. Convertibles are due around the end of 2009.
First Test Drive: We think media previews will be staged in late fall or early winter of 2008.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro Prices: They're a bit hard to predict, what with an on-sale date nearly a year away. But GM has said Camaro will be a premium car, and it won't compete with the Ford Mustang on price. Our guesstimate: The 2010 Chevrolet Camaro V6 coupe will start around $22,000 with the V8 model around $28,000. Convertibles will likely start at around $28,000 for a V6 model and range up to $35,000 for a V8.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...t-camaro-1.jpg

This was music to my legs:

Changes to the interior give the 2010 Camaro more legroom and passenger comfort.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...let-camaro.htm

:5thgenvert:

MikeT 04-27-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Our guesstimate: The 2010 Chevrolet Camaro V6 coupe will start around $22,000 with the V8 model around $28,000.
$22K seems too good to be true for the V6. I'd guess more like $25K.

DGthe3 04-27-2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeT (Post 66068)
$22K seems too good to be true for the V6. I'd guess more like $25K.

Why? MSRP for the mustang starts at under 20k. Nobody would buy a V6 Camaro for 5k more. And besides, everything about the Camaro sounds a little too good to be true.

JAG836 04-27-2008 05:55 PM

That interior looks great! Wish they showed the dash of course.

CaptianSam 04-27-2008 06:03 PM

mustang sales have only cooled because everybody is waiting for the bad boy of the streets

ChrisB 04-27-2008 06:11 PM

22 000 $ for the V6= Music to my ears

theholycow 04-27-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro5 (Post 66067)
Stability control should be included on V-8s, optional on V-6s.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...bility_Control :
The United States was next, mandating ESC for all passenger vehicles under 10,000 pounds (4536 kg), phasing in the regulation starting with 55% of 2009 models, 75% of 2010 models, 95% of 2011 models, and 100% of 2012 models.

I'd say it's pretty unlikely to be optional on any Camaro model.

ihc95 04-27-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAG836 (Post 66079)
That interior looks great! Wish they showed the dash of course.

That is the concept interior. Look at the side mirrors.

Mr. Wyndham 04-27-2008 06:39 PM

hmf...usually, I'm not ready to agree with anything consumer reports says. (I really don't like them) But I have to say, besides the whole "bringing it back because of the Mustang", and "chasing a dying market"...I think they got everything spot on. (Especially the prices!)

camaro5 04-27-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 66095)
hmf...usually, I'm not ready to agree with anything consumer reports says. (I really don't like them) But I have to say, besides the whole "bringing it back because of the Mustang", and "chasing a dying market"...I think they got everything spot on. (Especially the prices!)

It's actually Consumer Guide not Consumer Reports. :thumbup:

I have been a Consumer Reports subscriber and fan for more than 20 years. :flame:

chadrcr 04-27-2008 08:01 PM

I am suprised, how many people on here, seem to be wanting the Camaro to be more expensive than it 'might' be. If everyone wants a $25,000 dollar base V-8, and GM knows that, they 'might' try to get close.... If everyone thinks $35,000 is fine they 'might' try to charge $37,000. We should expect the car to be loosely competitive with the Mustang (price) we can doubt that it will cost less, but we should not pretend to know that it will cost MUCH more than a similarly equipped (as close as they can be) mustang. If any one is fine paying $30,000 or more that is fine, but to say you are willing to pay .... ?30,$$$? before we know how much 'they' want to charge.....seems wrong somehow. I usually try to get a vehicle for less than MSRP... not just start throwing $$$$ at the dealership. As much as I want to help GM and keep the Camaro alive.... A big part of the reason we lost it in 2002 was because the mustang was cheaper ( by too much ) I bought my Z-28 new on 26 Sept 2002 for 26,000 down from an MSRP of 27679 and I got the 0% financing. I know it has been 6 years, but that car was far from base, it had everything except SS, leather, and convertable. The current mustang is still cheaper than my 02 Z-28 with T_tops and Bose/Monsoon/tilt/cruise etc... this is just me hoping that GM will try to keep the price close to the mustang, and hoping that 'WE' do not talk them out of it with our premature 'bidding'.
not intending this as an arguement or attack on anyone, just my .01 cent---saving the other one for the new Z or RS/SS

2xtrbo 04-27-2008 08:40 PM

I assume that a fully optioned SS convertible will be close to $40,000 if a stripped down base hardtop V8 is 28K.

The one I want could not really be called "blue collar" then. It is a sophisticated high-tech car with a white collar price.

theholycow 04-27-2008 08:40 PM

I agree with chadrcr. I want a base v6 MT Camaro for closer to $20,000, a number I've read a couple times. Really, I'd like it for under 20, and I don't mind manually operating my windows and locks, installing my own stereo, adding my own floor mats, etc...

chadrcr 04-27-2008 09:24 PM

I am hoping that we get a lot of options, individually available in place of 2 price packages, from the base 4/6 all the way to the ZL1/LS3/LSA/LS7 or 'topdog' whatever the code/name.
I would like to have the option to chose a 5.3 (almost 327) or LS7 (427) or even a V-6 if gas mileage is susbstantially better than the 5.3 with afm...
My 02 Z-28 would get 28 on the highway IF you drove like a Grandmother, which did not happen much... My GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 (not afm or dod) will get 22 on the highway ...IF no load, no hills no wind etc, but it pushes a lot of wind, compared to a Camaro, so if you start with a 310hp+ 5.3 which would have to get better mpg than in a Sierra and add the new fuel management... it will get 'good' mpg, perform near the 02 Z-28, sound great with duals and reduce the need for the 'ricer' Turbo-4 base Camaros, not that I am against that as an option. just do not want it to be 1 cheap basecar and 1 expensive 'loaded' Z-28 or SS with nothing in the middle for the engine options. I use 1969 as the goal.
6 cyl for the base
327, 350 in the middle
302 (Z)
396 SS
427 COPO etc
Give us a V6, 5.3, 6.2, and a LSA/9/7
Seems like more options would please more people...