Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   HUD Anyone seen this issue? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389924)

57tking 12-29-2014 03:54 PM

HUD Anyone seen this issue?

Hi Everyone:
Long time stalker, first time poster. I live in Australia so dealer warranties and dealer fixes are not an option for me, I'm on my own in this respect (which is OK, B/C I don't mind wrenching and lots of good advice on this forum).
I bought my ZL1 in August (2013 model, 2nd hand, 4000 miles on odo) and just got it delivered from the factory here that did the right hand drive conversion.
Friggin' awesome car is all I can say, and the RHD conversion was first class.
My problem relates to the HUD. There are a million posts on the HUD problem of it fading in and out, mine does not do that.
The issue I have is that the HUD is too dim to see in daylight. It is perfectly visible at night, but I cannot see it during the day (although it is on in the day because if you are in shadow you can just make it out).
The dimmer works fine, goes from nothing to max brightness fine, it's just that max brightness is not bright enough!
Anyone had this problem? Is it a faulty HUD or something else?
As I see it my options are:
1. Don't worry about it and get on with life.
2. Fix the issue if it is fixable.
3. Replace the HUD with a new unit if it is the HUD that is faulty (would replace it with a coloured one of course!).
Great to hear your feedback everyone.
Cheers,
Terry

pktrusty 12-29-2014 04:11 PM

I know this is probably silly, is there something related to the windshield for the HUD that is different? I know when I replaced mine, it was a question? If so, since it is originally a left hand drive, could the treatment not be on the right side? I am just thinking out loud.

Gee 12-29-2014 04:15 PM

You need a special clear sticker and or film to mirror the HUD correctly, if you don't have the correct OE window made for HUD. Check if the window is OEM. If not then thats why the HUD isnt working. Best of luck and grats on an amazing car.

But rule #1 is PICTURES!!!! :)

el-guapin 12-29-2014 04:40 PM

I believed there should be a "HUD" label or etching on the the windshield.

Trickskier 12-29-2014 04:46 PM

Another silly question - But are you wearing sunglasses? Polarized sunglasses tilted a certan way can actually make the HUD disappear.

revo1059 12-29-2014 05:02 PM

The "HUD" windshield really doesn't make a difference. I installed a HUD on a GTP I owned that didn't come with one, then I did the same in the C5 Corvette I bought. Couldn't tell the difference between mine and a car that had one.

Sometimes when the sun is at the right time of day the HUD can be hard to see. Or......maybe it's because in Australia everything is upside down :bellyroll:

2SSRS@Gen5diy 12-29-2014 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trickskier (Post 8138635)
Another silly question - But are you wearing sunglasses? Polarized sunglasses tilted a certan way can actually make the HUD disappear.

+1 the rest is fine.

jerry265 12-29-2014 06:02 PM

HUD on left side only

The windshield is only coated on the left side. If they did not do something to the right side, then it will not work properly. I have had a non HUD windshield installed and had the exact same problem. Good luck and let us know what the problem is. And pictures please.

57tking 12-30-2014 02:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all your feedback everyone.
I do not believe it is the glass for a number of reasons.

It is HUD glass (see photo)
The company that did the conversion do many of these with HUD's and all are able to be read easily
It occurs if I am wearing sunnies or not.
I have also seen HUD's installed on non HUD glassed cars and it is a bit blurry but the brightness is fine.

Has anyone seen this low intensity issue or is the collective experience only with fading in and out? If not I guess my original options stand.
Cheers,
Terry
PS Will start another thread with some RHD conversion pictures.