Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   For those with lowered Camaros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532463)

SummitWhite11 06-26-2018 06:27 PM

For those with lowered Camaros

1 Attachment(s)
I am looking for recommendations on which high temp lube to use on the axle shafts or cv joints since my Camaro is lowered with 1.5" DSE springs. Did any of you change out the lube or did you keep it as is? I was told since the car is lowered more than 1" - it will add stress on them. Is this something I can do on my own easily or will I need a shop to do it?

Overflow 06-26-2018 06:53 PM

Completely unrelated to your question...

But what tire size are you running and what springs do you have?

SummitWhite11 06-26-2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overflow (Post 10231515)
Completely unrelated to your question...

But what tire size are you running and what springs do you have?

Fronts - 285/35 ZR 20
Rears - 315/35 ZR 20

I have the Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs with the Koni Orange STR.T struts.

Overflow 06-26-2018 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 (Post 10231524)
Fronts - 285/35 ZR 20
Rears - 315/35 ZR 20

I have the Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs with the Koni Orange STR.T struts.

Any rubbing?

SummitWhite11 06-26-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overflow (Post 10231533)
Any rubbing?

None at all.

UBB 06-26-2018 07:47 PM

Kept mine as is. Lowered with the Eibach Pro + kit.

Moto-Mojo 06-26-2018 07:50 PM

I’m not certain why this should add stress but I presume it’s added angle. A six-ball Rzeppa type joint like these use can handle more angle in the lower rpm range of an axle shaft. As opposed to many main drivelines that use them. A good high temp, extreme pressure grease should work but...you always risk some incompatibility issues when mixing greases. I can lead to early breakdown.

You’ll have to remove (and probably replace) at least one boot clamp to gain access to fill it. But you may not be talking about adding. I’m of the mind the only ‘right’ way would be to remove the shafts and boots, completely flush the old grease out repack it was a synthetic grease and replace the boots. They’re relatively cheap and are the only defense from external contamination - the death knell for any Rzeppa joint. I’ll try to get a grease part number.

SummitWhite11 06-26-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo (Post 10231594)
I’m not certain why this should add stress but I presume it’s added angle. A six-ball Rzeppa type joint like these use can handle more angle in the lower rpm range of an axle shaft. As opposed to many main drivelines that use them. A good high temp, extreme pressure grease should work but...you always risk some incompatibility issues when mixing greases. I can lead to early breakdown.

You’ll have to remove (and probably replace) at least one boot clamp to gain access to fill it. But you may not be talking about adding. I’m of the mind the only ‘right’ way would be to remove the shafts and boots, completely flush the old grease out repack it was a synthetic grease and replace the boots. They’re relatively cheap and are the only defense from external contamination - the death knell for any Rzeppa joint. I’ll try to get a grease part number.

Good info. I was told by several people and wasn’t sure. I was also told it was not recommended to go beyond a 1” drop for those reasons alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SummitWhite11 06-26-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UBB (Post 10231591)
Kept mine as is. Lowered with the Eibach Pro + kit.

How much of a drop did you go with and how long have you been driving it without the high temp lube recommendation?

Moto-Mojo 06-26-2018 08:29 PM

Man, I’d be curious in the angle difference between stock and your drop. Especially at the wheel. Thinking the angle at the diff would be less. I could be all wet but I can’t believe it’s much. If it were like a degree or two, I’d trust the joints to work just fine. As long as the boots were in good shape.

Remember, this is the same style joint in a FWD car where the steering wheels move left to right all day every day. The OE shafts last a long time unless contaminated. That’s the proverbial shit ton more angle on the joint than a rear wheel moves.

pnwdan 06-27-2018 09:51 AM

Any angle that the shaft is put through during normal suspension travel will also be okay for it to sit and operate at

SummitWhite11 06-27-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo (Post 10231649)
Man, I’d be curious in the angle difference between stock and your drop. Especially at the wheel. Thinking the angle at the diff would be less. I could be all wet but I can’t believe it’s much. If it were like a degree or two, I’d trust the joints to work just fine. As long as the boots were in good shape.

Remember, this is the same style joint in a FWD car where the steering wheels move left to right all day every day. The OE shafts last a long time unless contaminated. That’s the proverbial shit ton more angle on the joint than a rear wheel moves.

I was thinking the same. It would make sense that the angle would lessen when the car is dropped somewhat.

Moto-Mojo 06-27-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 (Post 10232173)
I was thinking the same. It would make sense that the angle would lessen when the car is dropped somewhat.

I was out of town when I started this conversation with you, but just got home and looked under my car. My suspension is bone stock with the original Perelli’s that came with the car. The half-shafts travel slightly upward from the diff to the wheel. So if dropping the car lowers the diff, I can see it putting a little more angle at both the inboard and outboard CV’s. But I can’t see where a couple of inches lower would put these joints in any type of a high stress/angle condition. Could a great synthetic grease hurt? No.

SummitWhite11 06-27-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnwdan (Post 10232085)
Any angle that the shaft is put through during normal suspension travel will also be okay for it to sit and operate at

Unless there is a drastic change in the angle I suppose.