Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   LT's / Exhaust options (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566706)

Capster78 12-12-2019 09:40 AM

LT's / Exhaust options

I've been out of the hobby for awhile and was looking for some recommendations. I know they will vary widely as everyone has personal preferences. Maybe if I explain what I am looking for it will make it easier.

I have owned 3 F-body's (99, 00, and 01 TA's) in the past. I currently own a 2011 Camaro SS automatic. When I owned my previous cars they all had SLP loudmouth exhaust and headers. Seeing that was nearly 20 years ago, I'm sure better things exist. However, I did love the way SLP's loudmouth / LT's sounded. They droned at 3-4k RPM with the 3500 Yank stall converter I had but that didn't bother me that much.

My plan is to do this in stages. First, Id like to do long tubes / exhaust. Then I would like to go with a supercharger / stall converter and probably wont go much further then that. Just want a drivable 500+ hp car to have a small amount, but not too much fun with. Price is not an issue and there is no such thing as too loud... However, I don't want it to sound too raspy.

olblue75 12-12-2019 10:54 AM

I’m running Stainless Power LTs with their high flow cats, full Z28 system with NPP (2 3/4 vs 2 1/2) with a X pipe from a C7 Corvette sounds awesome a little raspy but I leave the valves open on my 2010 SS. PM me a your cell an I’ll send you a sound clip from the front stretch of NCM.

Bow94z 12-12-2019 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblue75 (Post 10678430)
I’m running Stainless Power LTs with their high flow cats, full Z28 system with NPP (2 3/4 vs 2 1/2) with a X pipe from a C7 Corvette sounds awesome a little raspy but I leave the valves open on my 2010 SS. PM me a your cell an I’ll send you a sound clip from the front stretch of NCM.

Basically running same setup as you. I have factory LS3 resonators still on the car before the NPP mufflers. Big fan of the sound. Zero drone. I can also provide a video if you want.
Headers and a tune make the biggest difference on these cars.

NPP exhaust is GM’s performance exhaust option that has a “flap” that can open and close on one of the tips on each side of the quad tip setup

Automatic cars have the huge resonator in the middle

olblue75 12-12-2019 11:52 PM

Z28’s don’t have the resonators either.

pyroguy 12-13-2019 08:30 AM

I'm running Kooks LT's with high flow cats and Solo's Mach XL catback. Before my cam it was done free. After my cam I'm playing with the J pipes to get rid of the last of the drone. It cruises quiet as a church mouse on the highway, but step on it and it is beastly. The only place it has some drone left (again, I've almost got that tuned out) is about 1,200 rpms. A little more tweaking and it will be gone.

kamkam1 12-15-2019 11:02 AM

I’m running TSP 2” long tubes with front cat delete wit no other changes and the sounds awesome. You don’t know they are on there except for cold starts and spirited driving. I couldn’t be more pleased... And zero drone at any RPM....

antman 12-30-2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capster78 (Post 10678374)
I've been out of the hobby for awhile and was looking for some recommendations. I know they will vary widely as everyone has personal preferences. Maybe if I explain what I am looking for it will make it easier.

I have owned 3 F-body's (99, 00, and 01 TA's) in the past. I currently own a 2011 Camaro SS automatic. When I owned my previous cars they all had SLP loudmouth exhaust and headers. Seeing that was nearly 20 years ago, I'm sure better things exist. However, I did love the way SLP's loudmouth / LT's sounded. They droned at 3-4k RPM with the 3500 Yank stall converter I had but that didn't bother me that much.

My plan is to do this in stages. First, Id like to do long tubes / exhaust. Then I would like to go with a supercharger / stall converter and probably wont go much further then that. Just want a drivable 500+ hp car to have a small amount, but not too much fun with. Price is not an issue and there is no such thing as too loud... However, I don't want it to sound too raspy.

I'm selling a Solo Mach XL catback with j-pipes that fits a 5th gen auto if you're interested. Can get loud with headers but with zero drone. Has less than 100 miles on it. Nothing wrong with it just wanted to try something else. Check the listing in the members classifieds for pictures.

Athletics101 12-31-2019 01:14 AM

I have kooks long tubes without cats and a borla atak catback and it sounded good before the cam. After the cam and heads, the car sounded amazing better than I could have expected.

Avenging Orange 01-01-2020 09:07 AM

If you are doing this in stages, as you say, start with any popular brand headers, hi flo cats on stock cat back. Despite popular belief, these cars sound great this way.