Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Ebay turbo problems and the cure! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297906)

FrankT 05-26-2013 04:15 PM

Ebay turbo problems and the cure!

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Turbonetics turbo to replace the Ebay special that was installed on the car. Anyone who has seen my build thread here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47925 knows the long, long road I have taken to get this car running correctly. The shop that did the work went out of business after I picked up my car and had installed nothing but junk and substandard parts. Anyway, here are some pics of the Turbonetics turbo and the EBay special.

FrankT 05-26-2013 04:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Pics:

FrankT 05-26-2013 04:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The main problem was excessive white smoke on deceleration after a hard run. I disassembled the turbo and found the oil seal had failed on the turbine side. There is no oil in the intake pipes or compressor side of the turbo, but I am contemplating removing the intercooler to see if any oil is inside it.

Nessal 05-26-2013 08:07 PM

Ebay....turbo kit....sigh.....

FrankT 05-27-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nessal (Post 6592545)
Ebay....turbo kit....sigh.....

Umm... not a EBay turbo kit. A shop in FL fabbed the kit up and we were promised a Garrett turbo. What we got was a Chinese knock off like that is sold on EBay. Not to mention a crap tune and substandard work. Four cars were done mine being the last one.

jordan 572 05-27-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankT (Post 6594141)
Umm... not a EBay turbo kit. A shop in FL fabbed the kit up and we were promised a Garrett turbo. What we got was a Chinese knock off like that is sold on EBay. Not to mention a crap tune and substandard work. Four cars were done mine being the last one.

Is that the new turbonetics with the 75mm on the hot side? Did you go with the 76 or 78 up front?

JLE58 05-27-2013 05:42 PM

Who was the shop?

FrankT 05-27-2013 06:13 PM

It's a 78 on the compressor side. .96 A/R. Just a plain journal bearing liquid cooled center section. Pretty inexpensive turbo really, and I got a great price on it. I can't post who it came from, but if you want to know PM me.

FrankT 05-27-2013 06:14 PM

The shop was Ultimate Performance and Racing in Fort Myers, FL. The next time they go in the ocean, I hope they get eaten by sharks.

caper 05-27-2013 07:01 PM

hey frank...your current fleet is damn awesome!!!! man I am jealous...good for you to have such bad ass cars.

FrankT 05-28-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caper (Post 6595758)
hey frank...your current fleet is damn awesome!!!! man I am jealous...good for you to have such bad ass cars.

Thanks!

FrankT 05-28-2013 09:39 AM

I'm waiting on some adapters for the liquid cooled center housing to get here before I can finish everything up. The Turbonetics has 16mm fittings while the no-name turbo had 3/8 pipe. I'm also routing the cooling lines to the heater hoses. They were hooked up between the coolant vent pipe on the front of the intake manifold and the radiator neck at the cap. I don't think that provides adequate flow, so that is why I am changing it.

willhe64 05-28-2013 11:24 AM

The difference between buying a higher quality item at a higher price and a lower quality item at a lower price?

The people who buy the higher priced item only complain once, at the till.

FrankT 05-28-2013 11:37 AM

It's not that I wanted a cheap turbo, like I stated I thought I was getting quality stuff. This just shows what a poor shop will do to you. There are far too many examples of this on the forum. However, I know I'm getting good quality with Turbonetics. BTW, almost everything this shop did has had to be redone. I probably should have pulled everything off and started over, but I wanted to make this work. I'm hard headed that way.