Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   More details on production Camaro - good MPG and convertible version possible. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97)

Tran 08-10-2006 08:03 PM

More details on production Camaro - good MPG and convertible version possible.

According to trade publication Automotive News, Wagoner said that unlike the Ford Mustang, the 2009 Camaro will have independent rear suspension.

He also said the car might use GM's cylinder deactivation technology to improve fuel economy. Even without that, he said the car will get good milage. "Remember, we produce Corvettes now that get over 400 hp and get 28 miles to the gallon."

Lastly, he hinted a convertible version may also be in the work. The car will come in many shapes and sizes. Wagoner reiterated his belief that GM can sell 100,000 Camaros per year.

Cleric 08-10-2006 09:03 PM

T tops or targa would be GREAT IMO

i love the versatility of T tops

Heelz2315 08-11-2006 09:39 AM

If they can sell that many per year then why in the world do some of these dealers think people are going to pay $25K over MSRP? Sounds like they'll be enough to go around....maybe not for the first month or so but still plenty.

KILLER74Z28 08-14-2006 01:47 PM

All Headline News

August 11, 2006 10:50 a.m. EST

The Camaro concept car fully equipped with a manual transmission and a V-8 engine that can go to four cylinders at highway speeds is able to get 30 or more miles per gallon.

The price for the archetype will be announced later.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7004506850

MarkLS2 08-14-2006 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28
All Headline News

August 11, 2006 10:50 a.m. EST

The Camaro concept car fully equipped with a manual transmission and a V-8 engine that can go to four cylinders at highway speeds is able to get 30 or more miles per gallon.

The price for the archetype will be announced later.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7004506850

I'll believe that when I see it.

KILLER74Z28 08-14-2006 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkLS2

The Vettes are doing it with 400+ HP. Why is it so hard to believe?

KILLER74Z28 08-23-2006 05:15 PM

GM: The zoomer is a sipper

Automotive News / August 14, 2006 - 6:00 am

How do you justify a new muscle car in an era of $3-and-rising gasoline?

You call it a fuel-sipper.

To the surprise of exactly no one, General Motors announced last week that it's reviving the Camaro name in 2009, on a Chevrolet coupe engineered by its Australian Holden subsidiary.

And if you're fretting about fuel, suggested Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper, you can order Camaro Lite - with a V-6 and perhaps cylinder de-activation, which boosts fuel economy by letting the engine loaf along on fewer cylinders at cruising speeds.

"We will offer V-6 and V-8 engine variants," Peper said at a press event in suburban Detroit. "We may well have active fuel management (cylinder de-activation) on the V-6, if that's what somebody wants."

He also pointed out that the Chevrolet Corvette with a V-8 has a 28-mpg highway rating (the city rating is 18 mpg).

"We're not at all concerned," Peper said.

The Camaro is the latest entry in the muscle car segment, which grows as gasoline prices continue to rise and Asian brands continue to gain market share with fuel-efficient vehicles. The segment includes the Ford Mustang-based Shelby GT500 and the Dodge Challenger, which is scheduled to reach showrooms in 2008 with a Hemi engine.

GM CEO Rick Wagoner said at the Management Briefing Seminars in Traverse City, Mich., that the Camaro coupe that arrives in 2009 might be followed by a convertible. "It will come in many shapes and sizes," Wagoner said of the Camaro.

GM first showed a concept version of the Camaro at the Detroit auto show in January. Wagoner said he agreed with GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz's assessment that GM could sell 100,000 Camaros per year.

BlacLac02 08-24-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

no dude its really true you can get 30 mpg out of it. its got a half shaft in the motor and half of it stops moving the engine when crusing and when you get into it again it kicks in. if your gonna complain about gas mileage in a muscle car in the first place, you need to go buy a honda. its not even about the mileage it gets its about the power and looks of it. my old t/a got 8mpg so anything over that in a new car is just a blessing but odds are im gonna have it getting 8mpg again. so if you are concerned about gas mileage dont buy the car becasue odds are its not gonna get amazing gas mileage like a hybrid does.and thats my taking. thank you thank you

boxmonkeyracing 08-25-2006 11:10 AM

hybrids on the highway don't get any better gas mileage then a normal engine.

Urthman 08-28-2006 12:58 PM

Are you kidding? There is a big difference between Hybrid mpg and normal engines on the highway.

Here is an example: (City/Highway)

Civic Hybrid: 49mpg / 51mpg
Civic (Automatic, non-hybrid): 30mpg / 40mpg

It's an ugly car, but it's fuel efficient.

BlacLac02 08-29-2006 02:35 PM

well that car only gets better gas mileage than the regular one becasue on the highway its run by the batteries in it instead of the engine. that car runs on half battery and half engine. basically the engine keeps the battery charged

boxmonkeyracing 08-29-2006 04:12 PM

well my friend has a hybrid and he gets just the same actual gas mileage on the highway that I do in my saturn ion. and the only way he can do better is if he goes like 55 on the high way not the speed limit.

KILLER74Z28 08-29-2006 05:01 PM

Most hybrids are designed for stop and go driving (City) that’s where they excel. Highway mileage is not much better that most of the fuel efficient vehicle offered today.

Plus, a lot of magazines testing the hybrids are not getting the same results the manufacturers are claming (less MPG).

jbynum69 08-30-2006 09:04 AM

some consumer groups(real ones) actually are trying to get people realize that hybrid cars cost you more in the long run.

1. you pay more for the hybrid version on most cars and you will have to keep the car for 15 yrs or more with the gas savings to amount to what you will spend buying one compared to the non-hybrid version of the same car.
2. diesel engine cars on the other hand are more fuel effecient and are better priceing for the long run(don't want one though) and the fuel can be changed over to vegetable oil used products at your local mcdonalds( if you have the time and are smart enough ,with about 2-3000 dollars to spend converting it over and makeing the stuff).

I'll stick to my gas hog and not drive it so much. nothing like 425 hp and 3" pipes making you drool.:rolleyes:

boxmonkeyracing 08-30-2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbynum69
I'll stick to my gas hog and not drive it so much. nothing like 425 hp and 3" pipes making you drool.:rolleyes:

AMEN!!!!

BlacLac02 08-30-2006 12:37 PM

you guys are arguing over gas mileage for a hybrid. if you cant aford the gas in the new camaro or your concerned about how much your gonna get in it.....dont buy it. becasue if they do say you can get 30mpg in it thats not really driving the car thats probably coasting down a hill. if you actually buy the camaro and use it liek its supposed to be run your gonna be lucky to get 15-20 mpg. i know that my cars i have or have had i dont ***** foot around i open them up and let the horses run.

Urthman 08-30-2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacLac02
well that car only gets better gas mileage than the regular one becasue on the highway its run by the batteries in it instead of the engine. that car runs on half battery and half engine. basically the engine keeps the battery charged

That is the definition of a hybrid, part gas combustion and part electric.

It doesn't really matter to me at all really. I don't drive a hybrid and never will. I will be buying a new Camaro and I will be driving it like a muscle car should be driven.

boxmonkeyracing 08-30-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacLac02
you guys are arguing over gas mileage for a hybrid. if you cant aford the gas in the new camaro or your concerned about how much your gonna get in it.....dont buy it. becasue if they do say you can get 30mpg in it thats not really driving the car thats probably coasting down a hill. if you actually buy the camaro and use it liek its supposed to be run your gonna be lucky to get 15-20 mpg. i know that my cars i have or have had i dont ***** foot around i open them up and let the horses run.

so you're tellin me I ***** footed my 96 trans am when I was getting 22 mpg on the interstate? that's the only place I got good gas mileage. anywhere else I got like maybe 10 mpg at most. lol.

BlacLac02 08-31-2006 06:41 AM

no thats good if your getting 10 mpg then your a driver just like me. it depends on what kind of driving you do. if im just driving around town.... im not doing the speedlimit if im driving a long distance im probably not doing the speedlimit but im not trying to race anyone either, its just a constant speed and now stopping. but around town yeah ill burn up more gas cause i float through traffic. i hate beeing stuck behind slow drivers

boxmonkeyracing 09-01-2006 09:31 AM

I did anywhere between 75-80 on the intersate with my trans am. and yea i hated being stuck behind traffic that's why I was getting 10 mpg. dang I miss that car. forget about ever getting married again. especially after I get this camaro. I aint selling that carr for anyone.

TAG UR IT 09-01-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing (Post 1091)
dang I miss that car. forget about ever getting married again. especially after I get this camaro. I aint selling that car for anyone.

HAHA...you want to know something cool? My wife is excited about the new camaro coming out. She wants to help choose options (told her is was ultimately up to me, since it would be my car which she understands). When we got her the Kia, I let her get all the bells and whistles (even freakin butt warmers for the love of God...We're in TEXAS for cryin out loud!). So...when it's time to get my car, there won't be any complaining at all.

boxmonkeyracing 09-01-2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 1092)
HAHA...you want to know something cool? My wife is excited about the new camaro coming out. She wants to help choose options (told her is was ultimately up to me, since it would be my car which she understands). When we got her the Kia, I let her get all the bells and whistles (even freakin butt warmers for the love of God...We're in TEXAS for cryin out loud!). So...when it's time to get my car, there won't be any complaining at all.

LOL. well the TA was my only car and my ex wife didn't have a car. so I ended up selling it for a stupid saturn ion sedan. because she was prego but somethin bad happen and then she left my ass. never again!

TAG UR IT 09-01-2006 12:19 PM

Ouch! Yeah, believe it or not, my wife was driving a Mustang. She wasn't too happy with that car when she was pregnant. I held off as long as I could. But when it was time, there was no cutting corners on safety for the little one. I sold the Mustang to one of my buddies, used that money to pay off the Z-28, and took out a full loan on the Kia (to avoid having two car payments. That kept the monthly payments to $400 vs $700 for both. If you stay single for a while, no one can tell you what to do. However, if u meet a cool girl who has the same interests as you and ends up becoming your wife, well....there's nothing like two incomes and all the money saved by staying in the same house, etc, etc.

BlacLac02 09-01-2006 01:14 PM

i already got things strait with my girl about this car. all of my old girlfriends wanted me to get rid of my car to buy them a ring..... well lets just say the car stayed around longer than they di. but i did get rid of it to save for the new camaro and i told me new girl i was getting it and nothing is changing my mind. she said ok its your money do what you want. yeah.... shes a keeper

boxmonkeyracing 09-01-2006 06:00 PM

well I lived and learned.

TAG UR IT 09-05-2006 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacLac02 (Post 1097)
i already got things strait with my girl about this car. all of my old girlfriends wanted me to get rid of my car to buy them a ring..... well lets just say the car stayed around longer than they di. but i did get rid of it to save for the new camaro and i told me new girl i was getting it and nothing is changing my mind. she said ok its your money do what you want. yeah.... shes a keeper

That's cool. Now, make sure she remembers she said that! I remember those good old days where it was "my money". hehe... What I wouldn't do just to be able to get a nice set of headers and Y pipe for my SS. The wife knows all I want for Xmas and my Bday's are "car parts"....specifically headers/y pipe. Maybe once all the landscaping and the deck is done I might get lucky. We'll see.

BlacLac02 09-05-2006 06:08 AM

yeah maybe i just got lucky and found a girl who actually believes whats mine is mine and whats hers is mine. hahaha

TAG UR IT 09-05-2006 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacLac02 (Post 1125)
yeah maybe i just got lucky and found a girl who actually believes whats mine is mine and whats hers is mine. hahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! That's a good one!!!

BlacLac02 09-05-2006 12:09 PM

i shouldnt say that. i dont want her to check out this forum and see me saying things about her.

TAG UR IT 09-05-2006 06:53 PM

I'm sure if she saw this, she'd know it's all in fun and we're only kidding around.

AirGoya 11-30-2006 12:24 PM

my dad has a new chevy impala ss with the 5.3 liter v8 that cuts down to 4cylinders. The car averages 18 mpg. Its a good idea to save gas but gm i guess just hasnt perfected it yet.

Cleric 11-30-2006 12:58 PM

most of the newer engines for chevy now do that

Mestizo 12-11-2006 06:46 PM

DOD(displacement on demand) Technology is awesome as long as it doesn't cause engine lag.

TAG UR IT 12-11-2006 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mestizo (Post 3654)
DOD(displacement on demand) Technology is awesome as long as it doesn't cause engine lag.

Know what ya mean. I drove the 07 Impala when I went on vacation for a week in Los Angeles. I couldn't tell you just how many miles I put on that car! It had DOD and I tell you...if there was lag, I could never tell, not even for a single moment.:bow: I'd romp on it on the 101 and that V6 kicked right in. :thumbsup:

Mestizo 12-12-2006 03:47 AM

Awesomeness.....as a friend of mine said(referring to Chevy), it doesn't hurt to have the Corvette as your big brother.

*Note: That was before the Cobalt commercials*

rotwiler 12-28-2006 11:23 PM

My 2002 Z28 with a auto tranny averaged 24mpg and that is mixed hwy/city and 425+ hp, my wife has a Chrysler 300 with the 250hp 3.5L and she gets the same mileage. So the new Camaro if lighter than the previous model, should get good mileage. Since I put in a 3400 stall converter I don't get the 24mpg like before though, but still get about 18 average.

shelbyGT500 01-02-2007 04:30 PM

Not once has my wife ever tried to stop me from buying a new car or truck and sometimes its 2 or 3 a year.She knows that i am a car nut and always have been .She new than when she got with me and respects it more than i think she should.I love my wife!
Although she doesnt share the same love for cars, she's hip to nice cars.She drives a Hummer H3 all lifted and wheels ect.Been together 11 years.She says i could be a millionare if id stop spending $$ on cars but she supports me every step of the way.Everybody has their hobby.Mine is just cars .I dont smoke,drink or do drugs.Cars are my drug.