Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   DI on the 3.6 but why not the 6.2? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5947)

Lifted07Sierra 08-11-2008 11:18 PM

DI on the 3.6 but why not the 6.2?

If it gets good gas mileage and more power and all that jazz. Why not have DI on the 6.2 also?

boxmonkeyracing 08-11-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra (Post 110681)
If it gets good gas mileage and more power and all that jazz. Why not have DI on the 6.2 also?

because this isn't a Gen V motor. it's still a Gen IV (LS2, LS7, LS3, LSA, and LS9). the GEN V motors are suppose to have the DI. but with all the talk about gas mileage and wot not they have scaled back on V-8 engine development. so who knows when the GEN V will be out.

The_Blur 08-11-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing (Post 110699)
because this isn't a Gen V motor. it's still a Gen IV (LS2, LS7, LS3, LSA, and LS9). the GEN V motors are suppose to have the DI. but with all the talk about gas mileage and wot not they have scaled back on V-8 engine development. so who knows when the GEN V will be out.

As with all previous generations of GM motors, expect the next generation to be revolutionary. For standard equipment, expect GM to include new technologies not offered by the competition. Unlike the competition, GM will likely offer this as a standard for the next generation. Competitors may offer this in an engine or two, but GM will outperform in every category. Knowing this makes it hard to support another brand in the same way. :chevy:

Myka 08-11-2008 11:51 PM

They want to save money by giving the camaro a corvette hand-me-down. When the Corvette gets the DI, expect the camaro to get the same soon. And I guess the 'vette hasn't gotten DI because they sell too well to justify investing in new engine technology. The cadillac, on the other hand, had been criticized a lot for being underpowered etc; so they needed a better engine in there. That is where the 3.6 DI came in.

Lifted07Sierra 08-12-2008 12:08 AM

The cobalt is not DI correct?

Youd think theyd be rushing to get this type of technology out into their cars to gain another 20% in fuel economy

Shadowsong 08-12-2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra (Post 110719)

Youd think theyd be rushing to get this type of technology out into their cars to gain another 20% in fuel economy

I believe the Cobalt SS/TC is DI

asrapid 08-12-2008 03:06 AM

There is also 1.4 l I4 with DI coming..but that probably doesn't interes you too much:D.
Latest rumors I've read is that Gen V (which should bring DI on LS..if that will be code for the engine) will come with corvette which is delayed couple of months again. They are talking about 2012-'13 now . Also it seems there won't be 3.x V6 with TT . It is the latest cancelation due to money problem GM is having. I just hope they don't go and decide not to invest in gen V engine.

asrapid 08-12-2008 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 110710)
As with all previous generations of GM motors, expect the next generation to be revolutionary. For standard equipment, expect GM to include new technologies not offered by the competition. Unlike the competition, GM will likely offer this as a standard for the next generation. Competitors may offer this in an engine or two, but GM will outperform in every category. Knowing this makes it hard to support another brand in the same way. :chevy:

What do you mean by competition? If you mean Ferrari, Porsche vs Vette, they do offer DI in their lineup. And i think that by 2012 (or whenever this engine is supposed to come) more and more company (like audi, mercedese etc) will offer even more technology in their models. Gen V is 4 years. Many things can happen until then.

Mr. Wyndham 08-12-2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Who says they're not? ;)
It's more difficult than simply swapping heads out for a Direct-Injected version...that's why they want to offer it in a brand new engine lineup: the Gen V's. They're supposed to debut in 2011 (but don't quote me; things have changed).

boxmonkeyracing 08-12-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 110710)

pretty much what I stated.

Angrybird 12 08-12-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

The Cobalt SS turbocharged 2.0L is DI as is the Saturn Sky Redline and Solstice GXP.
I think all new Engines GM comes out with will be DI from now on.

DGthe3 08-12-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra (Post 110681)

I imagine its not a simple 'bolt on', for one thing. Secondly, based on the power gains on the 3.6L, a 6.2 would be making ~500 hp. They will do it soon enough though. I am expecting that we might see a 5.7L making about 450 hp, getting something around 26 mpg or more on the highway, in the Camaro (2012 MY?). Just some guesstimations . . .

The_Blur 08-12-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asrapid (Post 110785)
What do you mean by competition? If you mean Ferrari, Porsche vs Vette, they do offer DI in their lineup. And i think that by 2012 (or whenever this engine is supposed to come) more and more company (like audi, mercedese etc) will offer even more technology in their models. Gen V is 4 years. Many things can happen until then.

I don't think there's much to the Ferrari-Chevrolet rivalry. :sm0: I'm talking about the more mainstream companies. I know that there are exceptions, but I expect every Generation V motor to feature these sorts of technology while other companies will take more time to catch up to these innovations.

stovt001 08-12-2008 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 110883)
Who says they're not? ;)
It's more difficult than simply swapping heads out for a Direct-Injected version...that's why they want to offer it in a brand new engine lineup: the Gen V's. They're supposed to debut in 2011 (but don't quote me; things have changed).

I'm planning on getting my Camaro in summer of 2012, so even with a delay hopefully they'll get the Gen Vs out by then. If I'm really lucky, they'll also bless it by pairing it with a nice DCT. :thumbup: :bow: