Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What exactly is muffler delete? Advantages and disadvantages? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325876)

StanTheMan 10-31-2013 09:19 AM

What exactly is muffler delete? Advantages and disadvantages?

Hi guys,

Can somebody please clarify this for me? What exactly does this "muffler delete" mode entail? I know it makes the car sound louder but apart from that, what other advantages/disadvantages does it bring?

40years 10-31-2013 09:26 AM

You also lose about 40 ugly pounds from the rear end of the car.

PoorMansCamaro 10-31-2013 09:27 AM

louder and less weight, is about it. might gain a half horsepower. lol

upflying 10-31-2013 09:27 AM

A disadvantage would be an unsolicited contact from a LEO.

SabotAndHeat 10-31-2013 09:29 AM

A muffler delete is simply a straight pipe (some have new exhaust tips) that is put in place of the muffler after its been cut and dropped out.

Pro's- Better sound, weight reduction, better gas mileage, better high speed / RPM output

Con's- Low end torque is reduced slightly, but you'll make it up (and more) at the top of the power band.

If youre thinking about it....do it. It's one of the cheapest, easiest and coolest mods you can do. Also, on a stock SS it's not so loud that it'll piss off the neighbors.

mat300z 10-31-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanTheMan (Post 7144257)
Hi guys,

Can somebody please clarify this for me? What exactly does this "muffler delete" mode entail? I know it makes the car sound louder but apart from that, what other advantages/disadvantages does it bring?

one of the best and cheapest mods you can do!

Green Machine 10-31-2013 09:36 AM

Please explain how deleting mufflers changes low end torque? Most of the exhaust restriction are from the cats.

Sent from the road.

Goo 10-31-2013 09:38 AM

Not a true straight pipe... You still have cats and resonators, so it isn't as loud as you might think.

It does sound as good or better than most axle back after-market.

All in all, the only advantage is it sounds better... and disadvantage is deceleration popping (if you don't like that... I for one count that as another advantage...)

ka1 10-31-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 7144291)
A disadvantage would be an unsolicited contact from a LEO.

It's not nearly loud enough for that.

ka1 10-31-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goo (Post 7144338)
Not a true straight pipe... You still have cats and resonators, so it isn't as loud as you might think.

It does sound as good or better than most axle back after-market.

All in all, the only advantage is it sounds better... and disadvantage is deceleration popping (if you don't like that... I for one count that as another advantage...)

All this. Best $50 I ever spent in life.

Dznts 10-31-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka1 (Post 7144360)
It's not nearly loud enough for that.

Throw some long tube headers on and that problem is solved :D

SabotAndHeat 10-31-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Machine (Post 7144323)
Please explain how deleting mufflers changes low end torque? Most of the exhaust restriction are from the cats.

Sent from the road.

Most, isnt all. Restriction is a variable statement. A 3 inch straight pipe might present lots of flow for a 4 cylinder ricer. But a 3 inch straight pipe might be restrictive to a big block Chevy with a 600 c.i. blower on top. With that being said, anything that collects heat, creates exhaust turbulence, etc in the exhaust system...creates restriction. The muffler does create restriction, even if not most of it.

Engine breathing is a static target of balance between backpressure and flow. That is...until hardware is added or deleted, then the scale moves. At the low of end of the powerband, backpressure is a little more beneficial for a quick take off.

With a delete, the normal back pressure builds a little further in the RPM band because there is less restriction.

P.S. It's exactly why some Corvettes have a dual mode exhaust. At more than 25% throttle and higher than 3500 RPM's the exhaust bypass mode opens...allowing for the Corvette to have the best of both worlds.

snaphappy 10-31-2013 09:50 AM

Some folks have said muffler delete is too loud for their taste. Just a heads up. I cut mine off and put on axle back from Solo with J pipes. Love the sound. No matter what you do it will sound better than stock!

Bell040 10-31-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabotAndHeat (Post 7144301)

Con's- Low end torque is reduced slightly, but you'll make it up (and more) at the top of the power band.

Where did you hear this?

Better flow = more torque