Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Tuners: where do you set shift point on L99 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299638)

E.T. 06-03-2013 07:41 PM

Tuners: where do you set shift point on L99

Just wondering what is considered safe on the L99 with stock cam and AFM lifters. I recently had a blower installed and the car got dyno tuned as well. The shop says the rev limiter is set to around 6650 RPM, and the shift point in sport mode is at 6500. Can the lifters handle this? I'm not constantly redlining it, but I'm not always babying it, either:smoking:

white ZL1 06-03-2013 08:01 PM

Was it still making power up there?

Rhino79 06-03-2013 08:41 PM

Wow, usually even with some revised vvt tuning the power will fall off past 6200. On the stock cam, the lifters will live probably for a little while, but I usually set shift points to around 6100 rpm.

E.T. 06-03-2013 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the graph. It's definitely past peak, but even at 6500, it's still making well over 450 HP.

Supercharged SS 06-03-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.T. (Post 6624964)
Here's the graph. It's definitely past peak, but even at 6500, it's still making well over 450 HP.

It's not going make any power if the AFM lifters fail. Maybe see if Livernois can at least bring the points down to 6200. You're not going to loose that much power but that may be the little difference you need to gain longevity. If there was no afm failure history but you know it's record.

Just food for thought.

E.T. 06-03-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 6625028)
It's not going make any power if the AFM lifters fail. Maybe see if Livernois can at least bring the points down to 6200. You're not going to loose that much power but that may be the little difference you need to gain longevity. If there was no afm failure history but you know it's record.

Just food for thought.

Thanks, yeah I'm in the process of asking them now. I figure they must've tuned a ton of these, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I fooled around with it today a little bit on the on ramps, and it seemed to shift lower than 6500, but higher than 6000. It's hard to say for sure, I was paying more attention to the road than the gauges.

white ZL1 06-03-2013 09:30 PM

I'd tend to factor out that little "hump" at the end and look at it as an actual curve. That said, I'd think you'd want to be shifting that thing around 6200 or so.

Alvin@PCMofNC 06-04-2013 10:00 AM

You want to shift a bit past peak to keep the car in the meat of the power curve. With that dyno sheet I would say 6400-6500 RPM but the DOD lifters aren't going to like that for too long..

A custom cam would really wake that thing up and get you away from the AFM/DOD stuff!

E.T. 06-04-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvin@PCMofNC (Post 6626837)
You want to shift a bit past peak to keep the car in the meat of the power curve. With that dyno sheet I would say 6400-6500 RPM but the DOD lifters aren't going to like that for too long..

A custom cam would really wake that thing up and get you away from the AFM/DOD stuff!

Thanks for the input. I like the way the car shifts now, but I also don't want to blow anything up. I'm waiting to hear back from Livernois, but I'm sure they'll get things sorted out. A cam would be sweet, but my main reason for getting one would be the sound. I know there are many really wild builds out there, but I can't imagine this thing "waking up" more than it already is. Traction is a big issue now, even with all the nannies on.

Do you think the maximum shift point that the lifters can safely handle is 6200 rpm?

amerimuscle 06-04-2013 01:24 PM

do the conversion and have peace of mind

amerimuscle 06-04-2013 01:26 PM

and a cam would not only "wake up" but it would unleash a monster if you added one with an FI application.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...dle+blower+cam

E.T. 06-04-2013 02:21 PM

Shop confirmed that shift point is set to 6500 rpm in sport mode. They said this is how they set all the Camaros. Not sure what to do. Everything was just torn apart for the blower install, so I don't really want to go through all that again so soon, just to do the conversion. Plus it's not cheap. If peace of mind is all I want, it seems like it would be a lot easier, less expensive and time consuming to just lower the rev limiter and shift point a little. :help::iono:

**edit** I'm thinking of asking them to set the shift point to 6200 and the rev limiter to 6400. Does that sound reasonable, and a little safer?

itguy 06-04-2013 07:19 PM

That table does nothing for your shift points. These tranny's shift by MPH not RPM. Yes, I know this can be confusing but it's true...you can set it to shift at 10000 RPM but if your WOT 1-2 shift is set at 30 MPH that's when it will shift.

IMO, you have to spend some time fine-tuning the shift points on the 6l80e as you also have to consider your converter and even your tire due to traction issues...you have to lead into the shift. With my setup, my 1-2 is at 29 MPH because I know my RPM's climb close to 6900 (HPTuner logging) during the shift. I also utilize torque management - some shops turn it off.

That was probably more than you wanted to read but it is what it is :)

Experts correct me if I'm wrong as I'm speaking from my personal experience.

white ZL1 06-04-2013 07:52 PM

I'm no expert, but certain T42's definitely don't shift JUST based on MPH. Mine is one of them. 1-2 is almost purely based on mph, but my 2-3 and 3-4 are shifting based on RPM.