Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   anyone blown Peddars coilovers? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328439)

GreyLS3SS 11-16-2013 12:42 PM

anyone blown Peddars coilovers?

Hi haven't been on in a while and not placing any blame on Pedders but I just put my car up for the winter and noticed some oil by inside R. rear tire. I jacked it up and the shock seal is blown and its leaking fluid out. Less than 3000 miles on em. Just curious and I can't find my receipt. Haven't called em yet just was curious if anyone else has had this issue?

BullF-16 11-16-2013 02:58 PM

Are they supercars with the remote reservoir?

GreyLS3SS 11-16-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullF-16 (Post 7191683)
Are they supercars with the remote reservoir?

No they are the step before those the XA sport rider adjustable. Not sure of model number I have to check when I get home from work. I am gonna pull it off and see which seal is leaking. I don't think they have been like that very long and I have been very happy with the performance of them

BullF-16 11-16-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyLS3SS (Post 7191709)
No they are the step before those the XA sport rider adjustable. Not sure of model number I have to check when I get home from work. I am gonna pull it off and see which seal is leaking. I don't think they have been like that very long and I have been very happy with the performance of them

If they were the remote reservoir coilovers it is necessary to loosen the allen bolts that connect the reservoir before change ride heights.

Since yours are not the supercars thats obviously not the problem. I would PM Pete and let him know or contact the dealer you purchased them from. Pedders will make it right i know that.

VR Baron 11-17-2013 12:01 AM

I have heard of rear shocks going, mostly on G8's though.

mp51998 11-17-2013 12:25 AM

As Bull said, just PM Pete and he will take care of you. I had to replace two rears on my wifes car. She drove it to Indy the first year and he had Raymond's Performance do the install. He overnighted the XA's up there for her. I had a bad rear Super Car Coilover on my car replaced this year at Indy. Again at Bruce's place. No hassle. Seems we only find these issues right before a long road trip.
You will have to pay labor for the install (or do yourself) and for the alignment afterwards tho.

My 5th 11-17-2013 12:32 AM

I have a little over 50,000 miles on my Xa's. No visible oil leaks, but the coils are rusty in spots where the red coating flaked off. I wish they looked show-car new, but I've got to expect some wear and tear on a daily driver--especially with 3 years of winter road salt.

BTW, how long are these shocks expected to give good performance? Do the seals or pistons eventually wear out and the damping performance is reduced?

GreyLS3SS 11-17-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My 5th (Post 7192900)
I have a little over 50,000 miles on my Xa's. No visible oil leaks, but the coils are rusty in spots where the red coating flaked off. I wish they looked show-car new, but I've got to expect some wear and tear on a daily driver--especially with 3 years of winter road salt.

BTW, how long are these shocks expected to give good performance? Do the seals or pistons eventually wear out and the damping performance is reduced?

Not sure on long they last, I would think at least 60-80 K under normal diving. Performance driving 50K may be time to change the fluid because heat does break it down. If I had the seal kit I could do it my self. I have done many motorcycles both street and road bikes. just need to know the specs and oil weight. I am not worried about the service have had great luck any time I asked question of Pete or pedders. They are quality and I know sometimes the seals do go. When I take em out I'll mic the shaft and check it against the other side. Just another winter project. Mine is not a daily driver just a fun car and yes the crap they put on our roads in winter does eat the crap of anything metal.

VR Baron 11-17-2013 09:58 AM

My shop said they havent heard of any supercar failures, yet anyway. Should get 50000 with track use as a estimate I'm told. I they are like Konis you can adjust stiffer to compensate for wear, as long as they arent leaking course.

2012InfernoSS 11-17-2013 10:23 AM

I have the xa extreams, blew both rears out in about 3000 miles, got ahold of Pete and he took car of me

oachalon 11-17-2013 01:28 PM

Ive seen quite a few posts like this from both Pedders and Pfadt. I dont have any plans to put coilovers on my car at this time, but this is concerning. The amount of people running stock struts is very high and you dont hear many failures, but the amount of people running coilovers is very low and you hear about this more than you would think.

TLSTWIN 11-17-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oachalon (Post 7193779)
Ive seen quite a few posts like this from both Pedders and Pfadt. I dont have any plans to put coilovers on my car at this time, but this is concerning. The amount of people running stock struts is very high and you dont hear many failures, but the amount of people running coilovers is very low and you hear about this more than you would think.

Well, lets think about that with some logic though also.....

People that run stock suspension also are not doing a lot of aggressive auto crossing or road courses. So they won't have any issues

People that do push the cars hard have had to update the suspension to coil overs. Once you start pushing and driving hard, things break, hence the saying, you have to pay to play:w00t:

Also, sometimes things break because the ride height is set too low, or improper preload on the springs or both.

Deftones 11-17-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLSTWIN (Post 7194866)

Also, sometimes things break because the ride height is set too low, or improper preload on the springs or both.

X2

So Cal Camaro 11-17-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLSTWIN (Post 7194866)
Well, lets think about that with some logic though also.....

People that run stock suspension also are not doing a lot of aggressive auto crossing or road courses. So they won't have any issues

People that do push the cars hard have had to update the suspensions to coil overs. Once you start pushing and driving hard, things break, hence the saying, you have to pay to play:w00t:

:word: Great reply...:smoking: