Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Shno's House of Z (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48453)

2cnd chance 11-04-2018 05:25 PM

The money making industry (hedge-funds, venture-capitalists) is becoming more powerful than ever. This new economy that they have bought is going to quickly change things. In our industry we are for the first time seeing mass consolidation and those that can’t compete are disappearing. Manufacturers are also either buying out their longtime distributors or crushing them out of business. Bottomline it’s not just the Auto business. Hang on to your butts!

macalot 11-04-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 10354554)
Bottomline it’s not just the Auto business. Hang on to your butts!

I'll agree with you. This has been happening in the Food Industry for some time and is only getting worse.
If I was 30 years younger I'd be selling and moving on to something else.

2cnd chance 11-04-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macalot (Post 10354580)
I'll agree with you. This has been happening in the Food Industry for some time and is only getting worse.
If I was 30 years younger I'd be selling and moving on to something else.

That’s exactly what they want to happen. ;)

DGthe3 11-06-2018 01:45 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ

hjdca 11-06-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 10353768)
If GM invested in a product plan to satisfy Obama ERA EPA numbers 3, 4 and 5 years ago a sudden change doesn't fix that. In fact it has the potential to wip out returns on that investment.

With gas prices today how many do you think will be buying a 4 cylinder turbo Silverado? That engine alone was 100s of millions in investment with potentially no return.

I got shivers when I read that GM appealed to the Feds for EV mandates like California. They wouldn't have done that unless they suddenly becam worried there would be no need for their future portfolio.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

Even the demograhics are changing. Most of the EV car companies are in California, and it is not about the drive train, it is about the software. Basically, EV car companies are software companies in California trying to learn how to manufacture cars in mass. It seems to me that the big 3 will be buying these California companies for their software, but still build the cars in their existing facilities....

pat_t 11-06-2018 12:01 PM

Very interesting reading your latest thoughts on this thread guys. I am in Europe and obviously the EV future here looks very different by the sounds of it. Multiple European countries have now passed legislation committing to cease sales of new non-hybrid passenger vehicles by ~2040, and there is talk of even earlier. Mainstream European manufacturers such as Volvo are now saying that from 2019 onwards they will not manufacture any vehicles powered solely by an internal combustion engine!

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ic-hybrid-2019

This makes me feel great about my very rare 7.0L N/A V8 car over here in Europe. I think it's going to be worth a huge amount of money someday! :) (not that I'd ever sell it)

2cnd chance 11-30-2018 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat_t (Post 10356055)
Very interesting reading your latest thoughts on this thread guys. I am in Europe and obviously the EV future here looks very different by the sounds of it. Multiple European countries have now passed legislation committing to cease sales of new non-hybrid passenger vehicles by ~2040, and there is talk of even earlier. Mainstream European manufacturers such as Volvo are now saying that from 2019 onwards they will not manufacture any vehicles powered solely by an internal combustion engine!

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ic-hybrid-2019

This makes me feel great about my very rare 7.0L N/A V8 car over here in Europe. I think it's going to be worth a huge amount of money someday! :) (not that I'd ever sell it)

I wish I had 7.0 427! That’s a must for a Camaro and Corvette.

Bhobbs 12-07-2018 12:49 PM

I guess the last hope for a 6th gen Z/28 is officially gone.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...socialflowFBCD

General Motors spokesman Michael Albano told C/D that, because electrification is playing a huge role at GM, the automaker is moving "some of our best talent" to work on current and upcoming projects. He acknowledged that this is a lateral move and not an elevation of position for Oppenheiser, who will remain a chief engineer. "We have launched the final variant of this generation of Camaro, so the time is right" for him to move, Albano added.

Palutz 12-07-2018 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 10379024)

General Motors spokesman Michael Albano told C/D that, because electrification is playing a huge role at GM, the automaker is moving "some of our best talent" to work on current and upcoming projects. He acknowledged that this is a lateral move and not an elevation of position for Oppenheiser, who will remain a chief engineer. "We have launched the final variant of this generation of Camaro, so the time is right" for him to move, Albano added.

I will never bet against technology or the smart engineers working on future projects but I am very happy I own a 427 cubic inch engine that screams destruction of forests ... ok kidding aside I figured the big 3 are being pushed to move into hybrid technology so owning a Z/28 is very gratifying. I’ll be that old fart one day driving my 14 Z not willing to let it go. Good article. Thank you

macalot 12-08-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palutz (Post 10379332)
I’ll be that old fart one day driving my 14 Z not willing to let it go. Good article. Thank you

I guess I am that old fart now. Which reminds me of a situation a few years ago...
I had my '69 Z/28 out driving to work on a nice summer day. First in line at a red light. I always watch the idiots behind me at red lights and stop signs to make sure they are gonna stop. I see a Prius with a 20 something female driving up behind me. She pulls up within 2 feet of my car and immediately looks down at her phone. Of course I'm running racing fuel in the ole 302, which once she got a smell of it gave me all kinds of weird facial expressions and gestures, even put her windows up. I promptly gave her a 6,000rpm shot of exhaust and noise to hopefully teach her not to pull up so close, which really set her off. She tried backing up to avoid the smell but couldn't because of traffic behind her. I just smiled and waved good bye when the light turned green. She waved 'the' one finger goodbye at me. Yep, I know I'm number one!!!

Bhobbs 12-12-2018 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palutz (Post 10379332)
I will never bet against technology or the smart engineers working on future projects but I am very happy I own a 427 cubic inch engine that screams destruction of forests ... ok kidding aside I figured the big 3 are being pushed to move into hybrid technology so owning a Z/28 is very gratifying. I’ll be that old fart one day driving my 14 Z not willing to let it go. Good article. Thank you

My dad has a 15 Z/28 and it really is a one of a kind car. Sadly, something that won’t ever be seen again.

2cnd chance 12-17-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 10379024)

Times they are a changin’...not for the better for us car guys. Yeah there will still be awesome cars made, but as Number3 put it years ago they’ll be expensive.

Number 3 12-17-2018 07:49 PM

Lets hope we have a few years yet. But clearly other than Camaro and Corvette you are left with Cadillac -V Series cars which are big $$$.

SS Sedan is gone. Not even a 2.0 turbo hot hatch.

Hope is that with electrons at least the performance choices expand again and it’s the 60s all over again. Fingers crossed.

Supercup 12-17-2018 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't believe you guys all missed it - it was right there in the article - the next Z/28! Right behind Mark - what a way to arrive :popcorn: