Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Camaro VS 370Z (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18771)

levi1922 04-30-2009 09:15 PM

woah, am i actually on gators side for the 0-60 being more realistic?
hahaha i didnt notice who i was quoting. haha
i think this is the first time we have been on the same side of any part of any argument!
congrats dude!

Wesman 04-30-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levi1922 (Post 447941)
woah, am i actually on gators side for the 0-60 being more realistic?
hahaha i didnt notice who i was quoting. haha
i think this is the first time we have been on the same side of any part of any argument!
congrats dude!

What I meant by 0-60 not being accurate is you're not going to hit 4.7 seconds on the street.

You're not on a prepped surface, and you're not going to get the exactly right launch RPM, seeing as mags experiment and do many runs to perfect the times.

With the Camaro, you can ease off at a low RPM and probably still hit a low 5 second 0-60. From the vids I've seen, it doesn't take much to get the SS off the line. A couple grand on the tach, a few barks from the tires, and you're off.

With the gutless 370Z, you probably won't even break the 6 second mark if you casually take off on the street due to the V6's complete lack of low end power. So you'll end up bogging and losing the race anyway. And if you try and launch it, you'll either end up smoking the tires and going nowhere or blowing up part of the drivetrain.

levi1922 04-30-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesman (Post 447976)
What I meant by 0-60 not being accurate is you're not going to hit 4.7 seconds on the street.

You're not on a prepped surface, and you're not going to get the exactly right launch RPM, seeing as mags experiment and do many runs to perfect the times.

With the Camaro, you can ease off at a low RPM and probably still hit a low 5 second 0-60. From the vids I've seen, it doesn't take much to get the SS off the line. A couple grand on the tach, a few barks from the tires, and you're off.

With the gutless 370Z, you probably won't even break the 6 second mark if you casually take off on the street due to the V6's complete lack of low end power. So you'll end up bogging and losing the race anyway. And if you try and launch it, you'll either end up smoking the tires and going nowhere or blowing up part of the drivetrain.

ahhh,
all of these minus the surface is taken care of buy launch control, it controls the camaros wheel spin and gives you the optimal RPM...
its standard with the ss.
and i cannot find anything that says the 370 has it....
one youtube video says it doesnt

Phenix 04-30-2009 10:31 PM

This thread just needs to end. It's obvious Wesman won't like anything that doesn't have a bowtie in the grill. And he's seriously misinformed about the build quality of Japanese cars and engines.

lil_chef 04-30-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phenix (Post 448175)
This thread just needs to end. It's obvious Wesman won't like anything that doesn't have a bowtie in the grill. And he's seriously misinformed about the build quality of Japanese cars and engines.

No need to bash Wesman. he raises valid points.....just in an unorthodox/impolite way

levi1922 04-30-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil_chef (Post 448285)
No need to bash Wesman. he raises valid points.....just in an unorthodox/impolite way

i happen to like wesman,
i usually support everything he says!

GatorBlue371 05-01-2009 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdbolt70 (Post 446828)
Fair enough. one second in an 8 minute lap could be practically a fart the driver let out. :sm0:

I guess we've nailed the argument down to:

Z is faster on "real" road courses
SS is faster in a straight line
Z's interior is a bit nicer
SS is a bit cheaper
Both are nicely equipped, nicely priced cars that have excellent value and performance. It is very subjective to say who "wins" in this comparison.

+1

GatorBlue371 05-02-2009 12:46 AM

Just took out a 370z for part of the day, My thoughts:

First,

I took out the Touring Sport Package, with the upgraded sound/nav

First impressions: This car isnt japanese. It looks too well put together on the inside, there is no way it isn't German. The exterior is up for debate but the interior blows away anything in its class. The seats are comfortable yet supportive, the steering wheel provides good feedback while providing firm steering feel, and the suede/leather inserts are done very tastefully and effectively.

The Drive. Had the car for a couple hours, the majority of the time was spent in 45mph zones, with 30 min on the highway.

The car feels more refined than the 350z... It seems like Nissan hired someone from BMW to go through their car and tell them all the things they didn't like. And it worked. Everything down to the buttons/steering wheel/shifter has all been refined. It FEELS like an expensive car. All of the motions you go through while driving the car require less effort and are done more smoothly, specifically the shifting.

The car in 45MPH zones behaved a good deal like the 350z... not stomping on the gas would produce decent 0-60 times, but the problem i had was you REALLY had to get on the gas to get into the powerband and by that time you had to brake from running up on the car in front of you. The steering, because its more refined, feels a little dumbed down. Still great response, but if you are used to driving a Porsche or Lotus, and get out to drive a BMW or Mercedes you'd know what I mean. Good feel, just less RAW connection to the road. The 350z>370z in this aspect.

The speed was there.... the power wasn't. I never launched my car so i bested a 5 second 0-60, something which would have taken a perfect launch from the 350... however, and this is a big however, It didn't FEEL much faster. I know its 100lb's lighter and has 30 more hp, but it didn't feel noticeably faster.

best part about the car though: Grip. I flew across the circle ramp to get onto the interstate at 90mph the first time, and got up to nearly 110 by the 3rd time. When your going around a turn at 110 your struggling to stay in your seat while the car is going, you pansy.

Conclusion: great car, doesn't get any better for the money if your tracking the car. Well put together. Not for me. It left me wanting more in the acceleration.

BTW- This is For Wesman

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Notice the 13.1 1/4 mile time....:headbang:

Z/28orSs 05-02-2009 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 (Post 441696)
The 07' STi is quite a bit faster than the EVO X.

So the STi is faster in a straight line, faster on a track, and with performance upgrades that came with the 07' such as suspension and tires, its got better grip. The end.

im osrry but rally cars belong in the MUD not on TAR!

pharmd 05-02-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 (Post 451137)
Just took out a 370z for part of the day, My thoughts:

First,

I took out the Touring Sport Package, with the upgraded sound/nav

First impressions: This car isnt japanese. It looks too well put together on the inside, there is no way it isn't German. The exterior is up for debate but the interior blows away anything in its class. The seats are comfortable yet supportive, the steering wheel provides good feedback while providing firm steering feel, and the suede/leather inserts are done very tastefully and effectively.

The Drive. Had the car for a couple hours, the majority of the time was spent in 45mph zones, with 30 min on the highway.

The car feels more refined than the 350z... It seems like Nissan hired someone from BMW to go through their car and tell them all the things they didn't like. And it worked. Everything down to the buttons/steering wheel/shifter has all been refined. It FEELS like an expensive car. All of the motions you go through while driving the car require less effort and are done more smoothly, specifically the shifting.

The car in 45MPH zones behaved a good deal like the 350z... not stomping on the gas would produce decent 0-60 times, but the problem i had was you REALLY had to get on the gas to get into the powerband and by that time you had to brake from running up on the car in front of you. The steering, because its more refined, feels a little dumbed down. Still great response, but if you are used to driving a Porsche or Lotus, and get out to drive a BMW or Mercedes you'd know what I mean. Good feel, just less RAW connection to the road. The 350z>370z in this aspect.

The speed was there.... the power wasn't. I never launched my car so i bested a 5 second 0-60, something which would have taken a perfect launch from the 350... however, and this is a big however, It didn't FEEL much faster. I know its 100lb's lighter and has 30 more hp, but it didn't feel noticeably faster.

best part about the car though: Grip. I flew across the circle ramp to get onto the interstate at 90mph the first time, and got up to nearly 110 by the 3rd time. When your going around a turn at 110 your struggling to stay in your seat while the car is going, you pansy.

Conclusion: great car, doesn't get any better for the money if your tracking the car. Well put together. Not for me. It left me wanting more in the acceleration.

BTW- This is For Wesman

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Notice the 13.1 1/4 mile time....:headbang:

That would nearly qualify as a ringer then...I have a subscription to C&D and they have tested the Z a number of times, 13.4 @ 107 being the fastest 6sp manual ET/MPH to date (about what a BMW 335i runs). That being an auto also...I mean, I can't imagine that would be as fun on a road course as the manual especially with the rev matching of the manual.

You guys are comparing 2 different market segments....do they overlap? Sure. Will they indirectly compete against each other, sure. But they are essentially 2 different rides. The Z car is a pure sports car. Its a 2 seater, with not much room, or trunk. Its balanced, light, with ample power. The SS is a GT type car, 2+2, a little heavier, but still a good all-around car, with respectable power, braking, and ability to corner.

I'm personally like Wesman and would not consider a Z car...for a number of reasons, but basically I want to hear the sound of a V-8, and I want to at least try to help one of America's landmark companies avoid bankruptcy(sp?), along with helping my local dealer keep his doors open.

This type of discussion will never have a right answer and will never end, because you are trying to put round pegs in square holes, they are NOT Truly direct competitors. Yes, they may somewhat be sales competitors, but the designs of the cars are (at their basic origin) different. A paring knife and a butcher knife are both knives, but you'd never use them for the same purpose, you could try but a butcher knife would very sloppy pealing an apple, as a paring knife would take too long to clean a side of beef.

I can promise you this though, it will take a Z car with $15K in mods to run with my SS on a drag strip or road course because the think won't be stock for a week...and I think that is what Wesman was kinda getting at, a good percentage of SS owners are gonna be modding early and often, vs I think a smaller percentage of Z owners...And although the Z aftermarket is good, I don't see how anyone could rival the aftermarket that GM has with the LSX series of motors, pedders for suspension etc. To each their own, but I'm a bowtie guy and that is how I'm gonna roll.

levi1922 05-02-2009 10:48 AM

ive always liked the 350z, it always looked like a very modern sports car. and i think that is the look the desired.
but, i still havent acquired the taste for the interior, or the 370z at all.
i guess its the same as the 2010 mustang.
"If you loved the first, you'll like this one."

ps. good review.
whens the camaro up for review by you? :)

Dom 05-02-2009 02:39 PM

Don't feel like reading the whole thread. I sat in both cars at the Chicago Autoshow and I loved the interior of the camaro and hated the 370Z. I also hated the new look of the 370Z. I drive a 00Z now and the only people who like those no torque japanese cars have never owned a muscle car. How do you give up all that V8 torque after experiencing it? The answer is you don't.

I've also driven tons of other high performance cars when I worked for a press fleet. All the Audi cars, S6, RS6, S4, RS4. I didn't even like the torque-less V8s that I had to spin to 7k as much as my LS1. Just talking about the engine itself, Audi make awesome cars. I would take my stock LS1 over any 400hp+ 4.2L German V8. Noticeably less torque. On the street I stay below 3k and have all the power I need. I have also driven the EVO VIII when it came out and it was a terrible daily driver. On paper it's got power, but it's very peaky and narrow. Once you go with a big V8 you never go back. I love that GM is staying with big displacement and increasing it all the time.

Patrick 05-02-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMM1181 (Post 437018)
beautiful, no complaints here :drool:

Why does nissan put the 2 air bag. infront of the car ? :)

Patrick 05-02-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermans (Post 437014)
The 350Z was a chick car..Here is proof..

http://girlsandcars.net/wp-content/u...2009/03/12.jpg

Why does nissan put the 2 air bag. infront of the car ?