Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Rough Engine Start Up (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280678)

jesse454545 03-03-2013 02:46 AM

Rough Engine Start Up

Rough Engine Start Up
Okay so this is starting to happen more and more, when i start my car it starts off like its struggling to start. It always turns on when i turn the key but it sound so horrible like its an old beat up car. Could this be the air filter that's dirty ( K & N air filter) or a timing problem? I bought a filter cleaning kit and hopefully that will help but has anyone had this problem?

RJT-SS 03-03-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse454545 (Post 6238664)
Rough Engine Start Up
Okay so this is starting to happen more and more, when i start my car it starts off like its struggling to start. It always turns on when i turn the key but it sound so horrible like its an old beat up car. Could this be the air filter that's dirty ( K & N air filter) or a timing problem? I bought a filter cleaning kit and hopefully that will help but has anyone had this problem?

How long have you had the filter before this started happening? The filter would have to be REAL dirty to cause this. If you recently installed the K&N, it could be the MAF sensor? If everything has been ok with that filter and this just started happening then bad gas (did you change octane recently)? Do you have a tune? Could be that? Need to if anything different was done to the car recently to troubleshoot.

jesse454545 03-03-2013 10:35 AM

nope nothing done to it recently i installed the intake about a year ago thats why i thought it was the dirty filter so if anyone think it could be anything else or had this problem let me know. thanks

RJT-SS 03-03-2013 10:50 AM

It could be that the filter is dirty. How many miles have you put on the car since you installed the filter? I have a K&N in my truck and I clean and re-charge it about every 50,000 miles. I have read in other threads that the oil in the K&N filters sometimes cause problems because it messes up the MAF sensor. That would cause the car to run rough. Did you check all your spark plug wires to make sure they are seated on the coils and plugs? The only other thing I can think of is a fuel issue. I know this might sound dumb but did you check your fuel cap to make sure it is tight?

jesse454545 03-03-2013 10:58 AM

Yeah i been using the same fuel and never changed the type i used so i know its not that, i have ran the filter for about 15k miles and i tought it was about time to clean it but i guess not since you ran 50k with your truck. I havent checked the spark plugs on it yet but will do so and i dont have any engine light coming out standing to check the engine so i dont think it would be the MAF sensor but it would hurt to clean it.

RJT-SS 03-03-2013 11:38 AM

This is a tough one just because it all of a sudden just started. Have you ever done the "fuse pull"? That's basically a reset of the fuel tables. That's probably not it but you never know. Did you check for air leaks on your intake (clamps, etc.)? I just keep going over the whole fuel, air, spark checklist for the basics but maybe it's something more?? Hopefully others are reading this and will offer up a suggestion.

jesse454545 03-03-2013 12:26 PM

thanks for the help i will check all the clamps and spark plugs just to make sure

JANNETTYRACING 03-05-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse454545 (Post 6238664)
Rough Engine Start Up

How many miles on the car, what modifications and what is the service history?