Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Pricing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449220)

rcandiloro 04-19-2016 03:20 PM

Pricing
 
So, I just have to vent, and I don't own a dealership or understand how the car industry works so I could be way off, but I found a 2014 Z/28, brand new, been sitting in the dealer for two years and they are sticking to $70k (Ok, $69k) on the price. I just don't get it? Am I off base thinking they should be way lower than that. I told the guy that I thought they would be a lot lower for a 2 year old model, but I guess I was wrong. Thoughts?

t_towner 04-19-2016 03:50 PM

$69k is in essence dealer cost on the car. Unless they are a large dealership they may not want to take the financial loss and maybe they can't afford to take it either. GM is offering the 15% on remaining 15 models and that is helping dealers move the remaining inventory but GM will not offer anything on new 14 models and when the 15% is done it will be difficult for dealers to take such a hit.

Many cars will likely remain on the MSO and with the dealership for years or they will be sold to the used car division and the loss taken on the used side.

I just bought a 2015 Z and paid $51,995 out the door. The dealership lost almost $11k to sale that car with the 15% incentive (finance guy showed me the exact numbers.) Had the dealership taken the same $11k loss on a 2014 car they would have sold it for $63k without the 15% GM rebate.

I called for months and only the large dealerships seemed to able and willing to take such a hit.

2013ZL1FUN 04-19-2016 03:50 PM

It is hope against hope for the Manager or owner. They are going to double down and hopefully find someone who is willing to pay close to full price for this "collector car". It might work for them if they can find someone who really really wants a brand new previously not owned 14.

URBAN LEGEND 04-19-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcandiloro (Post 9042366)
So, I just have to vent, and I don't own a dealership or understand how the car industry works so I could be way off, but I found a 2014 Z/28, brand new, been sitting in the dealer for two years and they are sticking to $70k (Ok, $69k) on the price. I just don't get it? Am I off base thinking they should be way lower than that. I told the guy that I thought they would be a lot lower for a 2 year old model, but I guess I was wrong. Thoughts?

But Sir, what was your offer? That's the key.

charlie46 04-19-2016 04:03 PM

Test drove a z28 yesterday and I must say it drives like an 1le with more power and better brakes however dealer was playing games with the price internet price listed at 51k and when I got there they wanted 56 k .

t_towner 04-19-2016 04:38 PM

It is interesting to note that before the 15% off GM rebate there were 156 new 2015 Z28's on cars.com. Now since April 1st it shows there are 112 left which means there have been 44 cars removed (er sold) in 19 days.

rcandiloro 04-19-2016 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND (Post 9042464)
But Sir, what was your offer? That's the key.

$52k, which I didn't think was unreasonable for a 2014, but he came back with $69750. I told him I thought they would just want to get rid of the car because it had been there for two years, but apparently not the case. No big deal, just kind of surprised that they won't budge.

zcarczar 04-19-2016 06:01 PM

The 14's have already received is a final payment of dealer cash on them meaning the factory doesn't have any more monthly incentive support. The 15's will have the 15% off through the end of the month and then will receive their final payments at the beginning of May. This is the biggest rebate you'll see on the car, so if you're looking to buy I would get one now as the final pay will be significantly lower than the 15% off rebate and dealers know this and will be willing to off load the old inventory. I have family that is in the business, and I've been around it quite a bit over the years.

Schlok 04-19-2016 06:27 PM

This topic comes up frequently, and many of us had similar experiences. Just keep calling and making offers if you are serious, you'll likely get one at your price.

URBAN LEGEND 04-19-2016 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcandiloro (Post 9042703)
$52k, which I didn't think was unreasonable for a 2014, but he came back with $69750. I told him I thought they would just want to get rid of the car because it had been there for two years, but apparently not the case. No big deal, just kind of surprised that they won't budge.

Ok. That's a big gap.

rcandiloro 04-19-2016 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcarczar (Post 9042735)
The 14's have already received is a final payment of dealer cash on them meaning the factory doesn't have any more monthly incentive support. The 15's will have the 15% off through the end of the month and then will receive their final payments at the beginning of May. This is the biggest rebate you'll see on the car, so if you're looking to buy I would get one now as the final pay will be significantly lower than the 15% off rebate and dealers know this and will be willing to off load the old inventory. I have family that is in the business, and I've been around it quite a bit over the years.

So then the question becomes, what happens if the cars just sit on the lots? At some point do they go to auction? There has to be a point where the dealer just wants to dump the car and take the loss, or is that not true? If the new 2017s weren't right around the corner (and the new Z/28 still hasn't been officially revealed) I'd be more apt to pay closer to MSRP. I totally get it's a business, and I'm sure it varies dealer to dealer since some folks have reported amazing deals. The bottom line is the dealer wants a certain amount and they have every right to sell at that price. I have a friend who's a sales manager at the local Dodge dealer. They have a 2014 Viper that has been there forever. $140k MSRP. He says the owner wants it gone and would probably take less than a hundred thousand for it. That was kind of my gauge for thinking I could get a Z/28, especially a 2014, for a rock bottom price. Good info all around so appreciate the input. I don't see it happening, and I may look back and regret it.....the other X factor is the wife.....who would freak if I traded my ZL1 in after only having it for a little over two years. I know, I know, I need to grow a pair......just don't want to sleep on the couch for six months.....

Bamaz 04-19-2016 10:11 PM

I just purchased a new 2014 with AC option this past Saturday.....we haggled for months and they finally negotiated down to $51,500.....Best car I've ever owned!

JUSTIFIED 04-19-2016 10:12 PM

No car is worth discord with your wife. Just my 2 cents.

Mpsmith1 04-19-2016 10:44 PM

IMHO, one shouldn't pay more than $52k for a new 2015 Z28 these days.

It's a great car (for a non-vert ;-)) but there are just too many out there. I'd consider a straight trade for my '13 IOM ZL1 vert, but I'm not 100% sold on it. My car is better looking. :thumbup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.