Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Key Stuck in Ignition after turning off (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401624)

EDV 03-26-2015 02:22 PM

Key Stuck in Ignition after turning off

The Key on my 2014 2LS is getting stuck after truning the car off, intermittently. It doesn't happen all the time, but every 2 out of 8 times or so. I've tried turning the wheels, putting car back in gear and then back to park, with no luck. Then I let it run for awhile, and try shutting off again. After the 5th or 6th attempt of letting it run, it finally gave it to me.

I took it to the dealer today, but on the initial inspection, they were unable to recreate the problem. Hopefully they find it. I saw a few videos of releasing it with a screw driver, but having to do that often is unacceptable for gm.

Any idea what could be causing this? Thanks.

pickwithaustin 03-26-2015 02:29 PM

This used to happen on my Pontiac Solstice OFTEN. In fact, it's one of the reasons I got rid of that car when I got my Camaro. Once, it stuck on and would not turn off. Could not turn the key to the off position. It's hard to take a car on any lengthy trips when you live in fear that it won't turn off or the key won't come out. The Chevy dealer dealt with mine by replacing the ignition switch... three different times. The one time, the service manager told me that the "tumblers" (or whatever they are) inside where you put the key, the little things that match your key cut, had fallen apart and were jamming and not allowing the key removal.

LStick 03-26-2015 02:45 PM

This is the original reason I had the ignition switch replaced at 2000 miles on my wifes Cobalt.
Back then, it was a known defect, and Chevy owned up to it.
Tough to hear that its happening on a '14 Camaro, since I own one. You'd think they'd get their act together already with the cheap outsourcing of parts and devastating results.

Adrian97c 05-14-2015 06:29 PM

Count me in.. With my ongoing brake pulsating issues, now I can't remove my key from ignition!

I'm ready to trade into a Lexus RC or something ��

retmil 05-16-2015 03:41 PM

I had the same issue on my HHR daily driver 2 years ago and the solution was to replace the ignition switch (under warranty).

_L8_ 08-01-2015 03:22 PM

Any update on your problem, Mine has done the same thing 10 times in the past 4 days. 2014 2SS with 9,000 miles.

Adrian97c 08-01-2015 03:24 PM

Dealer can't "recreate" so they are refusing to do anything :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TooCool5 08-02-2015 01:17 PM

When I changed my Ign cylinder the key would not come out unless the car battery was hooked up.
Why I do, not know. There is a slot under the steering column to release the key.

Maybe you have an intermittent electrical or switch problem.

_L8_ 08-02-2015 06:39 PM

Not to get off topic but... We always remote start for warm up, This morning it did not work. Started fine with the key, Shut her off and then remote start worked. Same thing happened just a few ago. Maybe the onstar hack deal is the problem, More info will be posted in the coming hours/days.

BZapp725 08-07-2015 08:04 AM

Maybe it's not clicked in park

I'm just guessing but it could be that your shifter is just loose in park mode and that the button is not clicked in place. If it is not clicked in park just push the stick forward and it will surrender the key.

WymanD 08-07-2015 01:29 PM

same with my 2015 Camaro, in the last 3 days keys getting stuck in the ignition, and not turning completly off, pressing the buttion on the shifter seems to release the key a couple of times. I hate this, the Camaro only has 3000 miles on it :iono:

LSX Camaro 08-08-2015 11:18 AM

I had this issue on my 2010 SS. I came up with a easy, permanent fix. Start by removing the torx screws that hold on the bottom steering column cover. Locate the ignition lock solenoid. It is on the bottom side of the column. There is a small pin that comes out of the solenoid. This is what locks the ignition lock cylinder. You can take a small screwdriver and move the pin in and out. I placed a piece of 5/16 vacuum hose over the pin to hold it in the unlocked position. It can no longer move and the key can always be removed. Everything else operates as normal .

TooCool5 08-09-2015 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSX Camaro (Post 8575110)
I had this issue on my 2010 SS. I came up with a easy, permanent fix. Start by removing the torx screws that hold on the bottom steering column cover. Locate the ignition lock solenoid. It is on the bottom side of the column. There is a small pin that comes out of the solenoid. This is what locks the ignition lock cylinder. You can take a small screwdriver and move the pin in and out. I placed a piece of 5/16 vacuum hose over the pin to hold it in the unlocked position. It can no longer move and the key can always be removed. Everything else operates as normal .

Did you take any pics of where this pin is? I assume its not the front one near the key area.

White_Camaro 08-09-2015 06:16 PM

The same issue is happening to my camaro. I drive a 2014 SS with 16000 miles. This problem started happening a few days ago and occurs everytime I try to shut off the car. I
used a work around method to get the key out but why did this problem start now only?