Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NEW type of Camaro SS Caliper Brake Noise Dampener "Weights" implemented (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58624)

bowtieguy#3 12-31-2009 11:48 AM

How do you spell unsprung weight

Johnny Camaro 12-31-2009 12:43 PM

I hope GM not have to pay for that bad Brembo's or sue the damn Germans !!

Why don't they put some USA-made brakes ?? Baers/Stoptech (are that USAbrands ? :) )

jacques 12-31-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 1335141)
DO NOT PUT ANY TYPE OF LUBE ON YOUR BRAKES!

I expect that the poster means to apply the lube to the points where the pad backing plate sits in the caliper. Inadequate lubrication at those points contributes to squealing.

CynAgain 12-31-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Awesome (Post 1334040)
I think we should coin the term "Training Wheels" for these horrid things.

:sm0:

I'll take the painted weights glued on my car over these ~ They're barely visible from a distance. :facepalm:

BigEnos 12-31-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Camaro (Post 1335448)
I hope GM not have to pay for that bad Brembo's or sue the damn Germans !!

Why don't they put some USA-made brakes ?? Baers/Stoptech (are that USAbrands ? :) )

Brembo = German? :mad0259: :facepalm: Try again.

:thumbsup:

FWIW I think this is a technically and aethstetically superior solution. The pads are what makes the noise so it makes sense to put the dampeners on the source. I used to put little aluminum (I think, maybe tin) shims on brake pads to quiet them down.

Do I think it could have been done better, yeah probably. Everyone has a budget and GM is struggling. I'm sure there just isn't a ton of $$s around for stuff like this. Like one other poster said, it isn't going to stop him from buying one.

DntWrryBeHappy21 12-31-2009 02:10 PM

Obviously these dampeners are on the cars for a reason if you guys hate it that much come up with a better solution

Speedfreak 12-31-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DntWrryBeHappy21 (Post 1335713)
Obviously these dampeners are on the cars for a reason if you guys hate it that much come up with a better solution

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 1333558)
Go see your dealer. :rolleyes: This is why we have warranties.

fat chance.......wear item.

Supermans 12-31-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro5 (Post 1334421)
Looks like they are permanently attached caliper harmonic dampeners. I'll be making sure I get these, over the wheel weights.

Best thing they could do, short of redisigning the caliper. Maybe they'll do that as time permits.

Getting them? You mean paying for them? Or taking it in to the dealer for warranty repair because of squeaky brakes?

bowtieguy#3 12-31-2009 02:55 PM

This is a haphazardaly attempt to delete brake harmoics that are typical of this design flaw. By adding additional unsprung weight is a deterient to the handling characteristics of the suspension geometry - further thought would be appreciated to the Engineering staff at GM.

Much Appreciated, Thank You.

ClaymoreZ28 12-31-2009 04:10 PM

Very odd design

BMW have some cars with dampener weights added to the calipers too - but they are designed to blend into the line of the caliper - these look very strange - never seen anything like them before.

Just surprising that after nearly a year the fix looks so "Heath Robinson"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath_Robinson

jfclavel 12-31-2009 04:11 PM

ok, so some people on this thread pointed out that it would be a problem if you tried fitting smaller rims than the stock 20''.... would it have trouble as well if you tried installing a bigger brake disc???

jfclavel 12-31-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdjizm (Post 1335125)
The problem is it doesn't stop squeaking on all the cars... brake weights, then roller skates.. how about replace the whole caliper? and stop putting band-aids on it. :yikes:

it costs alot to replace the whole piece tho... =/

Blownhotrodder 12-31-2009 04:29 PM

Looks like total garbage. Wonder why the challengers arent having these issues? :barf:

Supermans 12-31-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder (Post 1336147)
Looks like total garbage. Wonder why the challengers arent having these issues? :barf:

I agree. This makes the crappy weights that are already a part of the early camaro's look great in comparison. Let's hope this is fixed for the 2011 model year.