Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   3457 Replacement tailight bulbs? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516254)

camguynj 12-16-2017 05:15 AM

3457 Replacement tailight bulbs?

Anybody replaced their 3157 tailight bulbs with 3457 bulbs (which are 100 lumens brighter 400 vs 500 but also draws a little more amps 2.23 vs 2.1 and watts 27 vs 29 than the 3157) without any problems?

davesnever 12-16-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camguynj (Post 10011853)
Anybody replaced their 3157 tailight bulbs with 3457 bulbs (which are 100 lumens brighter but also draws a little more amps 2.23 vs 2.1 than the 3157) without any problems?

Haven't tried but I would think the higher amp draw would be less likely to give CANBUS errors, although the amperage difference is very minimal.The fronts are 3457 anyways.

camguynj 12-16-2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesnever (Post 10012173)
Haven't tried but I would think the higher amp draw would be less likely to give CANBUS errors, although the amperage difference is very minimal.The fronts are 3457 anyways.

Wasn't really thinking about Canbus errors as I don't think Camaros use Canbus from what I've read on the forum. Was more thinking about scorching connections possibility with increase in amps draw when on brakes but as you said amp increase is minimal. Primarily wanted to know if the increased lumens is noticeable?

davesnever 12-16-2017 10:00 PM

I don't want to get into a CANBUS discussion really because it's basically just the network in your car that communicates between devices and all cars have this infrastructure nowadays. Canbus is just the highway so to speak for the information to travel. So when you get the message on your dash(light out or hyper-flash) the ECU or BCM for your lights is sending it through a CANBUS to your dash module. Anyhow I don't think you have to worry about those bulbs, there is not much difference in brightness as long as so stay with the right color and don't throw an amber one in the tail lamp you should be ok lol.

Leo72793 12-16-2017 10:17 PM

I wish there were LED replacements that were bright and last long enough. ( not crap )

camguynj 12-16-2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo72793 (Post 10012656)
I wish there were LED replacements that were bright and last long enough. ( not crap )

DiodeDynamics makes LED tailight bulbs for 10s-13s in 500 lumens which is 100 lumen more than eom bulb. Problem with LEDs is no matter how bright they are their light sphere produces a narrower reflection off the reflectorized lamp housing coating which is really what produces the brightness thru the lense compared to an incandescent bulb almost 360 degree reflection.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/tail-l...maro-four.html

davesnever 12-17-2017 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camguynj (Post 10012674)
DiodeDynamics makes LED tailight bulbs for 10s-13s in 500 lumens which is 100 lumen more than eom bulb. Problem with LEDs is no matter how bright they are their light
cone produces a much narrower reflection off the reflectorized lamp housing coating which is really what produces the brightness thru the lense compared to an incandescent bulb almost 360 degree reflection.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/tail-l...maro-four.html

The cheapest of the 3 sets I would probably agree but the other 2 sets have enough LED chips spread around the bulb to simulate a filament bulb I think. The only thing is I can't see myself putting out that kind of money for a few tail light bulbs, no offense to Diode Dynamics but I'd buy some on EBAY lol .I notice they don't mention whether a resistor is necessary either. I switched my fogs over to LED with a similar style chip design and they are brighter than my stock bulbs and as I recall I paid about $20(Canadian) for the pair, still running flawlessly 3 yrs later.

camguynj 12-18-2017 10:40 AM

Thinking of trying the 3457. Sh*t load cheaper for the same 100 lumen increase over eom as the $180 DD LEDs.

My only concern/hesitation with the 3457 is the watt increase when in brake or turnsignal mode (29w compared to 27w in the 3157). Don't want to scorch the connector or burn out the housing:fear: That's why I asked in my first post if anybody swapped in 3457s without any problems? In tailight mode they're the same 8w so no concern there.

Diode Dynamics 12-21-2017 08:45 AM

Another thing worth mentioning is the disparity between the single & dual brightness settings on your LED bulb. A quality design will have a noticeable, obvious, difference between the running lights & when the brakes are applied.

That's extremely important when it comes to the safety of your tail lights. Just something to keep in mind!

Thanks,
Nick C.

camguynj 12-21-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics (Post 10017726)

Another thing worth mentioning is the disparity between the single & dual brightness settings on your LED bulb. A quality design will have a noticeable, obvious, difference between the running lights & when the brakes are applied.

That's extremely important when it comes to the safety of your tail lights. Just something to keep in mind!

Thanks,
Nick C.

Thanks for that info Nick. Good to know !

davesnever 12-21-2017 07:32 PM

Definitely some good info there, I am glad you guys are doing your research. Is there anything else we should be on the lookout for because the market is flooded with choices out there from pennies a piece to hundreds of dollars. How do we go about differentiating them other than reputation?

Diode Dynamics 12-22-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesnever (Post 10018586)
Definitely some good info there, I am glad you guys are doing your research. Is there anything else we should be on the lookout for because the market is flooded with choices out there from pennies a piece to hundreds of dollars. How do we go about differentiating them other than reputation?

Ask your lighting provider what they are using to measure their lighting products. Avoid rounded numbers, as they are completely false.

Watch out for products that claim to use big-name brand components like "Cree" or "Phillips" etc etc, but can't tell you anything further, like chipset (5050 size is old, and most common) etc etc.

There's a lot to look out for, but if you ever have questions about lighting, please feel free to contact us. Even if you decide not to purchase from us, we are happy to educate so you know how what to look for in a quality lighting product.

Thank you!
Nick C.

davesnever 12-22-2017 12:51 PM

Hey thanks alot Nick! Merry Christmas!!!!

Diode Dynamics 12-22-2017 12:59 PM

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Nick C.