Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Importing Camaro to Canada (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70492)

MannySRT8 03-11-2010 04:08 PM

Importing Camaro to Canada

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has imported their Camaro into Canada from the states.

With the dollar so good...I see maximum savings.

Let me know

Thanks

RickRay 03-11-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MannySRT8 (Post 1576829)
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has imported their Camaro into Canada from the states.

With the dollar so good...I see maximum savings.

Let me know

Thanks

Yesterday on my MC the rate exchange from US to CDN was $1.0062 = PAR :confused0068:

MannySRT8 03-11-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickRay (Post 1576862)
Yesterday on my MC the rate exchange from US to CDN was $1.0062 = PAR :confused0068:

LOL im gonna do it save at 15K.

Warranty comes into effect in canada after 6 months and 12,000 miles which fine by me.

2010victoryredss_ron 03-11-2010 06:16 PM

but your speedo will only goto 180km/h,, and all temps will be degrees F, but if that dont bother ya, y not

Thrillz 03-11-2010 06:55 PM

Its not quite that simple people. You will have to go deep into the south and find a dealer who will deal with you as the ones close to the border have been told not to sell to Canadians or they can lose there dealership. The other option is finding a used one with something like 15k miles on it good luck with that. If you can find a dealer who will do it i would do it in a heartbeat its disgusting how much we are overpaying up here with the dollar almost par. They wont do Canadian pricing advantage with a popular model only when its not moving well. Also take a look at some used 2SS up here. Ive seen them go for 38-39 which is not too bad.

2010victoryredss_ron 03-11-2010 06:58 PM

there is 4 used camaros in guelph, 1SS silver, 1SS victory red, RS victory red, RS silver

MannySRT8 03-11-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrillz (Post 1577572)
Its not quite that simple people. You will have to go deep into the south and find a dealer who will deal with you as the ones close to the border have been told not to sell to Canadians or they can lose there dealership. The other option is finding a used one with something like 15k miles on it good luck with that. If you can find a dealer who will do it i would do it in a heartbeat its disgusting how much we are overpaying up here with the dollar almost par. They wont do Canadian pricing advantage with a popular model only when its not moving well. Also take a look at some used 2SS up here. Ive seen them go for 38-39 which is not too bad.

Um..im looking for one from a dealership first of all...Im looking at a private party...I dont need 15K miles...I can buy one with 3k miles and have to wait till it hits 12K for the warranty to kick in sir...

LOWDOWN 03-12-2010 09:44 AM

Warranty "blackout" is 6 months or 12,000 KM, or 7,500 miles...

Make sure ALL recalls have been done before import (local Canadian Dealer may be less than helpful, if there's any outstanding issues), RIV fee, A/C tax, Federal inspection, GST, local PST when you license.

OUR72GTO 03-12-2010 10:05 AM

You may save 10,000 but not 15,000. There are some on Ebay with 500 to 800 miles. All you need is one that was registered and is not on MSO. If it has 5000 miles by the time you drive it home the 7500 will not matter.

MannySRT8 03-12-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUR72GTO (Post 1579881)
You may save 10,000 but not 15,000. There are some on Ebay with 500 to 800 miles. All you need is one that was registered and is not on MSO. If it has 5000 miles by the time you drive it home the 7500 will not matter.

10k still is alot of money..thats my mortgage payments for a year..LOL:happyanim:

OUR72GTO 03-12-2010 05:08 PM

Have the selling dealer include the "recall letter" or GM Canada will charge you for it.

Also need Provincial Inspection that is not covered by RIV fee.

Canadian_Stig 03-18-2010 01:49 PM

1st post here, but I've been lurking (accountless) for over a year.

I've imported 2 vehicles and 1 trailer personally and helped two family members import a vehicle each. Each purchasing situation was different so I believe I have a relatively good knowledge of the process.

Vehicles imported: Year imported: Amount saved
04 RX-8 2008 $6000
07 Trailblazer SS 2008 $15000
08 Highlander Hybrid 2008 $10000
04 PT Cruiser Turbo 2006 $5000
07 Enclosed Pace Trailer 2009 $3500

Total amount saved: $39500 CDN

I'm considering do the same thing with the Camaro.

Process is very simple, but time consuming, here is some info:

You won't be able to buy brand new from a GM dealer - GM has placed penalties on US dealers who sell to Canadians. If you can somehow find one, the dealer will have to register the vehicle in it's state first prior to selling it too you, meaning you have to pay state taxes on the purchase, then you have to pay GST and PST in Canada.

You can buy any used Camaro doesn't matter how many kms(miles) it has on it. You just cannot register the warranty in Canada until the car is 6 months old. A lot of used Camaros have been stored over the winter, so 6 months old and low kms. :happyanim:
http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=253#gm0

You pay a Registered Import Vehicle of Canada fee of $195+ tax at the boarder along with GST (based on the US price after conversion to CDN), and $100 for air conditioning excise tax. There is no duty on the Camaro because it is built in North America.
The following link has all the info you need.
http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

Car inspection can be done at any Canadian Tire, while you are there, takes five minutes and "IS" included with your RIV fee. You WILL have to show the CDN tire inspector that the daytime running lights come on when the car is started, this is a CDN requirement. Most 09 + cars built for the US have the ability to turn on or off this feature, as long as it is on when you go for inspection you will be fine. 08+ new vehicles also require an engine immobilizer installed, which all 2010 Camaros have so no problem.

As for speedo/temperature gauges, it is NOT a CDN requirement to have them read kms/Celsius. However, some cars have the ability to press a button and switch between them. As per the cars listed above, the Trailblazer SS and RX-8 (Digital display/one numbered dial) switch with the press of a button, the PT Cruiser and Highlander don't. Don't worry you get used to reading the smaller kms numbers very quickly.

As someone already said, "DO" get a recall letter from a dealer in the US prior to bringing it over. Some auto manufactures in Canada now charge for this letter, however, it should be free in the US.

If this car wasn't white and I had the wife's permission, I'd be on a flight to pick it up next week. It'd be like buying a new 2SS in Canada, but it comes with 600 BHP and upgraded suspension for the same price.

Maybe we cannot buy "off the lot" new but for $10 000+ savings on a "used" one it is sooooooo worth it. :clap:

Rickerbucks 03-18-2010 02:06 PM

I'm actively looking to buy a US Camaro as well. Fortunately I live in Cloverdale BC which is about 15 mins from the border crossing so its easy to bring accross the border personally.

I want a high mileage IOM, yellow or cyber gray car and figure I'll get one for about $31k USD.

Canadian_Stig 03-18-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickerbucks (Post 1606483)

I want a high mileage IOM, yellow or cyber gray car and figure I'll get one for about $31k USD.

Best of luck with your search, luck we are on either sides of the continent so we likely won't be competing for the same car.

Definitely going to get some forced induction package installed before bringing it over the boarder.