Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PSA Stop buying Chinese Hot air kits (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563692)

JANNETTYRACING 10-15-2019 08:47 AM

PSA Stop buying Chinese Hot air kits

People Please stop wasting money and time on Junk.

I have been receiving more and more tune requests from people who are shopping on Ebay for So Called Cold air kits which are really Hot Air kits

Poorly designed then copied by chinese then make even cheaper.

I would rather you run the stock air box because Less Cold air is still better than more Hot air when it comes to making power.

This is a Very good Read and it explains everything you could ever want to know about cold air kits and how they actually work

There is also a Part 2 to this done almost a year later.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48202

pyroguy 10-15-2019 10:29 AM

Agreed! When I bought my car the previous owner had a Hennessy cold air intake installed, minus the heat shield. Obviously it was then a hot air intake. I sold the intake and purchased a used roto-fab intake here because they have super top notch products. While most outlasting say they can't tell a difference with installing a cold air intake, I noticed a HUGE difference. I'm not saying Hennessy makes a bad product, just get a product that will do what you're wanting it to actually do and not just buy something cheap.

MeanV8 10-15-2019 12:01 PM

It is Like I always said "If you want Good Clean Oats you will pay a Fair Price" on the other hand "If you are satisfied with Oats that have been through the Horse then there are plenty of Bargains"

Do your Homework!!

Dan

pnwdan 10-15-2019 12:43 PM

First i want to point out that I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with any of this. We all appreciate the time and effort you put into this and everything you share here.

My reason for jumping in here is to ask if you have tested any of these knock off kits in the same scenario? Apples to apples so to speak. Just curious.

redcoats1976 10-15-2019 01:50 PM

still running the stock airbox after 4 years.GM spent more money than i will ever see designing the parts for this car.

TheFlyingBananaSS 10-15-2019 06:47 PM

The air intake with a pro charger is right above the exhaust manifold!

davidscamaro 10-15-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS (Post 10641302)
The air intake with a pro charger is right above the exhaust manifold!

Air to air intercooler my friend, once the procharger compresses the air it is much hotter than under hood air regardless of where the fresh air is being pulled from.

Then the compressed air pass's through the intercooler and gets cooled before entering the intake manifold

Cheap Guy 10-15-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcoats1976 (Post 10641084)
still running the stock airbox after 4 years.GM spent more money than i will ever see designing the parts for this car.

That’s why I’m holding out for a GM Z28 CAI.

Ashen L99 10-16-2019 02:33 AM

Quote:

For the people interested in going fast the stock air box is a restriction. GM could’ve thrown $1,000,000 at it and it’s still a restriction...

fhrex 10-16-2019 04:55 AM

Quote:

:clap:

JANNETTYRACING 10-17-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnwdan (Post 10641020)
First i want to point out that I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with any of this. We all appreciate the time and effort you put into this and everything you share here.

My reason for jumping in here is to ask if you have tested any of these knock off kits in the same scenario? Apples to apples so to speak. Just curious.

After all of the R&D we did and my 34 years in business I can spot a hot air kit a mile away.

I also look at data on a daily basis from these off brand junk, (the reason from my post)

When the IAT is ridiculously high compared to ambient or climbs with RPM it is obvious they are pulling Hot air from under the hood.

Rotofab, CAI, ADM are the best ones we tested in no particular order.

We almost exclusively use CAI or Rotofab simply because they work the best fit the best and look the best.

Just wanted to share for all the new guys joining the Camaro 5 community.

Ted.

ChibiBlackSheep 10-17-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING (Post 10642387)
Rotofab, CAI, ADM are the best ones we tested in no particular order.

How does the official GM Z28 do in your tests?

GodWentPunk 10-17-2019 09:42 AM

I have a K&N Blackhawk on my SS... How do we know if the ones we have are any good versus the "Rotofab, CAI, ADM" brands?

joe...

JANNETTYRACING 10-17-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 10642398)
How does the official GM Z28 do in your tests?

Very well, it was not available till years later but we have tuned many of them and like the results and data.

Ted.