Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   HURST BILLET/2 SHIFTER (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310365)

G Money 07-31-2013 01:27 PM

HURST BILLET/2 SHIFTER

Has anyone switched out there stock shifter for the Hurst shifter in there ZL1 and if so what are your comments???

iom13zl1 07-31-2013 02:52 PM

i am going to install one in mine next weekend. waiting for my roto fab intake

Sharp-ZL1 07-31-2013 05:11 PM

I did and love it. See my build site

PWRHSEZL1 07-31-2013 10:11 PM

I was hesitant at first, but decided to go for it! I love it! It seems to be about 25-35% shorter throw than stock and feels great!

zl1bro 08-01-2013 07:47 AM

Are these difficult to install? Are they specially designed for the ZL1?

Traumamoma 08-01-2013 08:52 AM

They bolt right in to the ZL1. IMHO infinitely better than the stock shifter which was a little soft for my taste. I like the shifter to feel a little more firm and positive where it clicks into gear instead of sliding into gear. Get the upgraded bushing set that is available with it. I had the MGW set up on my SS and I know that is highly regarded by many on this forum, but the Hurst blows it away. Good luck, Peter

zl1bro 08-01-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traumamoma (Post 6845584)
They bolt right in to the ZL1. IMHO infinitely better than the stock shifter which was a little soft for my taste. I like the shifter to feel a little more firm and positive where it clicks into gear instead of sliding into gear. Get the upgraded bushing set that is available with it. I had the MGW set up on my SS and I know that is highly regarded by many on this forum, but the Hurst blows it away. Good luck, Peter

Sounds great. Where to order from? Part #? Is it the same unit Hurst makes for the SS?

G Money 08-01-2013 11:53 AM

Thanks to all I just ordered mine and it will be here next week...All the new shifters have the upgraded bushing...

G Money 08-01-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zl1bro (Post 6845668)
Sounds great. Where to order from? Part #? Is it the same unit Hurst makes for the SS?

It is the same for all camaros with a 6 speed... Hurst-shifters.com Part # 3916030

Joebot8484 08-01-2013 09:02 PM

I have one, check my build.

zl1bro 08-02-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicster (Post 6849701)
It wasn't to bad with the car up on 11" ramps and loosening the trans. mount bolts. The shifter boot comes off by turning it and then you can get to the screw holding the shifter knob on. The stock shifter link supplied with the kit does not fit the ZL1 shifter knob. I used the upgraded bushing kit from Hurst, it is a good thing it comes with extra o-rings as one was cut during the install, if you get the upgraded bushings remember to measure the width of the stock bushings, so you can compress the new ones to the same width. The only thing that gave me the worst time was getting the rubber dust boot back in place.

Shifting is sure and precise!!! Great upgrade!!! :thumbup:

Great looking end result! Especially like the black shifter knob. How many hours would you estimate the install took?

jeffrop 08-19-2013 03:49 PM

Holy crap I'm glad I found this thread! I tried like hell to get the stock shift knob off...even rigged up a lever and moment arm (2x4) and almost destroyed the collar just below the knob..I called Torq Speed Lab, Hurst, and they all said "it just pulls straight up"

Did GM change this in 2013? Got mine installed in about 2 hours as well. Getting ready to drive it here in a few.

Thanks for posting up how to take that damn shift knob off! :headbang:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps9b05ef3c.jpg

G Money 08-23-2013 09:14 AM

Just finished install and this shifter is GREAT ! Shortens the throw by 50% love it !!!!

jeffrop 09-02-2013 12:24 PM

Anyone know if there's adjustment with this shifter? The lever goes into all the gears with a nice firm feel except for 2nd gear. It's almost like it needs to engage just a little bit more for it to feel right. I've missed a couple shifts now because of it. I really have to ram it into 2nd to make sure it's fully engaged.

G Money 09-03-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffrop (Post 6971565)
Anyone know if there's adjustment with this shifter? The lever goes into all the gears with a nice firm feel except for 2nd gear. It's almost like it needs to engage just a little bit more for it to feel right. I've missed a couple shifts now because of it. I really have to ram it into 2nd to make sure it's fully engaged.

Mine feels the same as yours however I have never missed a shift YET ! Feels like it almost doesnt go all the way into 2nd.......

KLR ZL1 09-03-2013 05:20 PM

I had a MGW in my 2010 and I thought it felt better than the Hurst, well atleast the factory Hurst shifter that I felt in a brand new Camaro. The MGW felt a lot tighter than the Hurst. I always missed 2-3 shift until I put the MGW on. I also know some people that say the Hurst loosens up over time. I will definitely go with the MGW in my ZL1.

jeffrop 09-03-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Money (Post 6974129)
Mine feels the same as yours however I have never missed a shift YET ! Feels like it almost doesnt go all the way into 2nd.......

Well after being down for a couple weeks (flat tire) I finally got to drive the Z this past weekend and the shift action into 2nd definitely seemed to have more positive engagement. Didn't really get to drive it much though but maybe the shifter is "coming in" as it gets used more?

G Money 09-04-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffrop (Post 6976395)
Well after being down for a couple weeks (flat tire) I finally got to drive the Z this past weekend and the shift action into 2nd definitely seemed to have more positive engagement. Didn't really get to drive it much though but maybe the shifter is "coming in" as it gets used more?

Only driven mine about 150 miles since install not my DD so maybe mine will too.....

AKA-22 09-04-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Money (Post 6846210)
Thanks to all I just ordered mine and it will be here next week...All the new shifters have the upgraded bushing...

the upgraded bushings will not help you ....you need to order the stainless steel racing bushings from hurst...the upgraded bushings are the same teflon ones with an added rubber gasket ....

G Money 09-04-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKA-22 (Post 6977340)
the upgraded bushings will not help you ....you need to order the stainless steel racing bushings from hurst...the upgraded bushings are the same teflon ones with an added rubber gasket ....

Thanks for the heads up

Skylane765 09-16-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Money (Post 6842783)
Has anyone switched out there stock shifter for the Hurst shifter in there ZL1 and if so what are your comments???

I did, and one thing you will notice, is the transmission noise is louder because the shifter is not as isolated as well as the stock shifter. I did use the rubber parts that came with the Hurst.

Skylane765 09-16-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffrop (Post 6916145)
Holy crap I'm glad I found this thread! I tried like hell to get the stock shift knob off...even rigged up a lever and moment arm (2x4) and almost destroyed the collar just below the knob..I called Torq Speed Lab, Hurst, and they all said "it just pulls straight up"

Did GM change this in 2013? Got mine installed in about 2 hours as well. Getting ready to drive it here in a few.

Thanks for posting up how to take that damn shift knob off! :headbang:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps9b05ef3c.jpg

2013s have a screw in the handle.

Skylane765 09-16-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffrop (Post 6971565)

There is no adjustment. But I think the shifter is a bit too short of a throw. It needs to be about halfway between the Hurst and stock.

Skylane765 09-16-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKA-22 (Post 6977340)

Remember you will get more noise with the SS bushings.

yenkostyle 04-10-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicster (Post 6849701)
It wasn't to bad with the car up on 11" ramps and loosening the trans. mount bolts. The shifter boot comes off by turning it and then you can get to the screw holding the shifter knob on. The stock shifter link supplied with the kit does not fit the ZL1 shifter knob. I used the upgraded bushing kit from Hurst, it is a good thing it comes with extra o-rings as one was cut during the install, if you get the upgraded bushings remember to measure the width of the stock bushings, so you can compress the new ones to the same width. The only thing that gave me the worst time was getting the rubber dust boot back in place.

Shifting is sure and precise!!! Great upgrade!!! :thumbup:

Just wanted to give props for this post Vicster, you saved me from making the tug and pull mistake on my 2014!

SamHouseIII 04-10-2014 10:27 PM

Love mine!