Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Pedders Camaro was the fastest Camaro at the Optima Challenge! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51203)

Steve1968LS2 11-11-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dms (Post 1161359)
You are are correct. We were honest, and joined the exhibition class. The event was all about showing how the Pedders Camaro can handle. Paul did an exceptionally fine job of it. I especially enjoyed seeing the ZR1 behind it and not being able to follow the same line, and had a lot of understeer, and body role, compared to the Pedders Camaro. I do not know what the ZR1 had in terms of mods. I assume we can find out. I still have not heard the lap times and such. As far as I know the Pedders Camaro was in the top 3-4 fastest times. I do not think any of the top 3 could say their rides are totally streetable and would be used for daily driving to pick the kids up from school

mike
dms

The instructors at Spring Mountain can wheel thier stock ZR1s around the 2.2 course in about 1:41

As the for the top three (four if you count me) I would say you're are completely right on the Cobra, that was a race car.

However the both '69 Camaros are easily considered street cars. Heck, Stacy at DSE drives that '69 all over the place. The yellow '69 did the Hot Rob Power Tour long haul of over 2000 miles. Full interior, AC all the creature comforts (and an LS9.. lol). My car is more on the stripped down side.. but still a street car.

Anyways, I though you guys did great with your 2010 Camaro and certainly showed that it can haul ass around that track when in the right hands.

So who had the shaved tires?

Steve1968LS2 11-11-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 1161389)
Good vid... Nice job on the Fairlane too :thumbsup:

Bad Penny, absolutely love it! Enough @ss kissin LOL... What did the 1st gen's weigh?

Cool story is that the Fairlane use to be mine too.. I build it when I worked at PHR.

My '68 is only 6300 without driver.. the DSE and Jackass cars are most likely in the 6500 to 6600 range sans driver due to having AC and in the case of Jackass a blower and such.

I imagine Pedders Camaro has to be near 4,000 lbs.. so getting those laps times is no small feat.

Mythic 11-11-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dms (Post 1160743)
We will do that over the phone.

Questions to be asked are:
1. size of wheels and tires all 4 corners
2. Your driving habits, how will you drive your beast
3. How aggressive setup[ would you want? agressive street, autocross, road race, canyon driving
4. How sensitive are you 2 tire life.

thanks
mike
dms

1) 275 (or 285) 20s
2) periods of agressive with dashes of "why yes my life insurance is paid in full"
3) turn on a dime and get $.09 back
4) I'm pretty sure they'll make more

Info@PeddersUSA.com 11-11-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythic (Post 1161854)
1) 275 (or 285) 20s
2) periods of agressive with dashes of "why yes my life insurance is paid in full"

Heck,

we can do that!!

mike
dms

Info@PeddersUSA.com 11-11-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 (Post 1161665)
Cool story is that the Fairlane use to be mine too.. I build it when I worked at PHR.

My '68 is only 6300 without driver.. the DSE and Jackass cars are most likely in the 6500 to 6600 range sans driver due to having AC and in the case of Jackass a blower and such.

I imagine Pedders Camaro has to be near 4,000 lbs.. so getting those laps times is no small feat.

I had all my travel arrangements already done, and was already gone from home for 2 weeks. then the Optima popped up, and never being there before, did not really know what to expect. So I decided to fly home. I slept for 10 hours on Sunday!! So I got info from people that were there. It sounded to be SERIOUSLY exciting! Now I wish that I did go!

there were really awesome rides there, with great craftsmanship thruout.

Pete was initially going to drive, but once we found out the there were multiple pro drivers, that were potentially fudging the rules, we called on our friend and advisor to take a drive for us and see if his advise and console was working. I am still not sure if the data on the lap times and such got sent out.

But a fun time for all to say the least!

mike
dms

Steve1968LS2 11-11-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dms (Post 1161935)
I had all my travel arrangements already done, and was already gone from home for 2 weeks. then the Optima popped up, and never being there before, did not really know what to expect. So I decided to fly home. I slept for 10 hours on Sunday!! So I got info from people that were there. It sounded to be SERIOUSLY exciting! Now I wish that I did go!

there were really awesome rides there, with great craftsmanship thruout.

Pete was initially going to drive, but once we found out the there were multiple pro drivers, that were potentially fudging the rules, we called on our friend and advisor to take a drive for us and see if his advise and console was working. I am still not sure if the data on the lap times and such got sent out.

But a fun time for all to say the least!

mike
dms

Well Stielow is a pro, but he built the yellow '69... I agree about the driver of the Cobra, but I don't know the whole story.. Ryan works for DSE and was within the rules. David Pozzi is the guy that built my suspension. The point made was that you need a good driver to show off a good car.

In any event it was a great time.. you need to be there next time.

Just for the record though.. nobody was on "shaved tires".. sorry, just a pet peeve of mine :)

JusticePete 11-11-2009 07:26 PM

So is Tanner Faust....

Info@PeddersUSA.com 11-11-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 (Post 1161955)
Well Stielow is a pro, but he built the yellow '69... I agree about the driver of the Cobra, but I don't know the whole story.. Ryan works for DSE and was within the rules. David Pozzi is the guy that built my suspension. The point made was that you need a good driver to show off a good car.

Just for the record though.. nobody was on "shaved tires".. sorry, just a pet peeve of mine :)

Well by pure definition, Paul is in fact a consultant and on the Pedders Payroll. But we were a guest, and wanted no hassles or to show disrespect for this great event, so we volunteered for the to show off only. I would assume no one would be crazy enough to deny Paul's talent. But there were pro drivers out there, who owned and campaigned their rides which is all fine and dandy. We are OK with it. We are just proud and happy to be able to show the world what our Pedders Camaro can do. You were there, and you could see the lines the Camaro could run, and how much control she had thru all driving conditions. For that, we are happy.

It truly is not totally equal in all events. Look at, for example the 0-60-0 event. How can we compete with a 1800lb cobra running 1000 plus hp, monster tires and brakes? We cannot.

So the bottom line is the honor to be present, participate, meet lots of cool car owners and companies, and share respect for the massive amount of craftsmanship, and love of the car biz, and competitive spirit.
for all of this, we are truly thankful

mike
dms

That Guy 11-11-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 (Post 1161955)

Some people just don't know how to read rules! They also must think Camaro's were never produces before the 2010 model. LOL

11) Participants must use DOT approved tires. Tires will be required to pass a technical inspection at the track. The spirit of the event requires the use of a DOT approved “street” tire – no modifications to tires will be acceptable, including shaving. Any vehicle with tires showing any evidence of modification will be immediately disqualified from the event. DOT approved “R” compound tires are acceptable, examples include BFGoodrich R1’s etc.
No drag radials will be allowed[/COLOR].

JusticePete 11-11-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Guy (Post 1162081)
Some people just don't know how to read rules! They also must think Camaro's were never produces before the 2010 model. LOL

11) Participants must use DOT approved tires. Tires will be required to pass a technical inspection at the track. The spirit of the event requires the use of a DOT approved “street” tire – no modifications to tires will be acceptable, including shaving. Any vehicle with tires showing any evidence of modification will be immediately disqualified from the event. DOT approved “R” compound tires are acceptable, examples include BFGoodrich R1’s etc.

Guys,

Last I checked, every racer pushes the rules to the limit or they are not racers. What we brought to the track is a daily driver in our house. My wife takes the kids to school in it. I drive it for work -- yeah I know I have a tough job. My point is that D.O.T. "R" compound tires are not suited for daily driver use. That casts the Ultimate Street Car concept into a vague area. Street cars don't get trailered to the track. They get driven. That is nothing but my opinion. The rules are posted and clear. The group at the track followed the rules.

I think the Optima Challenge is a terrific event. I plan to be there next year with Paul, a Camaro and a Mustang. Mr. Day tells me we are welcome. My goal is to drive to the track and drive home with the FTD on the road course in EXHIBITION class. (Maybe Bruce will have a flat on the way to the track?) I do not feel that companies should compete with individuals for the same reasons as posted about the tires. It puts the event into a vague area. The focus is on the the Challenge racers with the companies in EXHIBITION providing name recognition to promote the event.

Bruce brought a nuclear weapon to the event. The car was nothing short of AMAZING in the three performance events. In fact, I loved every car and every one I met involved with a car in the Challenge was first class. It was a great day.

Steve1968LS2 11-12-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dms (Post 1162031)
Well by pure definition, Paul is in fact a consultant and on the Pedders Payroll. But we were a guest, and wanted no hassles or to show disrespect for this great event, so we volunteered for the to show off only. I would assume no one would be crazy enough to deny Paul's talent. But there were pro drivers out there, who owned and campaigned their rides which is all fine and dandy. We are OK with it. We are just proud and happy to be able to show the world what our Pedders Camaro can do. You were there, and you could see the lines the Camaro could run, and how much control she had thru all driving conditions. For that, we are happy.

It truly is not totally equal in all events. Look at, for example the 0-60-0 event. How can we compete with a 1800lb cobra running 1000 plus hp, monster tires and brakes? We cannot.

So the bottom line is the honor to be present, participate, meet lots of cool car owners and companies, and share respect for the massive amount of craftsmanship, and love of the car biz, and competitive spirit.
for all of this, we are truly thankful

mike
dms

I think the term "builder" implies building and the term "owner" implies ownership.. lol.. There's no doubt they need to firm up thier rules a bit for next year.

Hey, your Camaro could throwdown hard.. that thing flat boggied around the track and looked great. I think your pro was more pro that the other pros.. lol

It was a great day and it was a blast watching all the cars compete.

Steve1968LS2 11-12-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Guy (Post 1162081)

That was my point.. there were no "shaved tires".. just approved tires for the event. If someone comes on harder tires than what's allowed they really can't complain that others were on better tires since they could have ran those tires as well.

Next year I hope they move back to some sort of REAL street tire.. either 100 or 200 treadwear.

Info@PeddersUSA.com 11-12-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 (Post 1164115)
That was my point.. there were no "shaved tires".. just approved tires for the event. If someone comes on harder tires than what's allowed they really can't complain that others were on better tires since they could have ran those tires as well.

Next year I hope they move back to some sort of REAL street tire.. either 100 or 200 treadwear.

It is within the rules obviously to use the R compound tires that are Dot rated. But when you go to the tire web sites, they say not to be driven on the street. So you can comply and defy at the same time. I think the great spirit of this killer event is focused around street vehicles. I think, therefore to be more appropriate, they should be street performance tires that are not R compounds. The Pedders Camaro had performance street tires only. Adding the R compounds would increase g forces thru the corners from the 1.4g to the 1.7g area plus good for 2-3 seconds lap time reductions.

But this may eliminate excuses. We brought our Pedders Camaro in full force setup. That is what SEMA is all about. Yet it is commented on the level of our setup. Then being selected, Pete has never done actual track time. Finding out who will be there and who will be driving, Pete would be seriously outclassed. So since we have the relationship with Paul, we called him. So we are commented on that as well. If you bring a car to SEMA and it is not just a garage queen show car, it should have the best that you have to offer. We also proved that our ideas of wheel fitment, size, etc, which diverted quite significantly from our competitors, in fact worked and worked extremely well.

But a great event, and lots of fun, great memories, and great friends made.

mike
dms

JusticePete 11-12-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 (Post 1164115)

Spot on!

JusticePete 11-12-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dms (Post 1164199)
It is within the rules obviously to use the R compound tires that are Dot rated. But when you go to the tire web sites, they say not to be driven on the street. So you can comply and defy at the same time. I think the great spirit of this killer event is focused around street vehicles. I think, therefore to be more appropriate, they should be street performance tires that are not R compounds. The Pedders Camaro had performance street tires only. Adding the R compounds would increase g forces thru the corners from the 1.4g to the 1.7g area plus good for 2-3 seconds lap time reductions.

But this may eliminate excuses. We brought our Pedders Camaro in full force setup. That is what SEMA is all about. Yet it is commented on the level of our setup. Then being selected, Pete has never done actual track time. Finding out who will be there and who will be driving, Pete would be seriously outclassed. So since we have the relationship with Paul, we called him. So we are commented on that as well. If you bring a car to SEMA and it is not just a garage queen show car, it should have the best that you have to offer. We also proved that our ideas of wheel fitment, size, etc, which diverted quite significantly from our competitors, in fact worked and worked extremely well.

But a great event, and lots of fun, great memories, and great friends made.

mike
dms

I have never been outclassed, though I have been out driven :facepalm:

JusticePete 11-12-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc5-s (Post 1160658)
any interior pictures?

Yep...

http://forums.peddersusa.com/imageho...0da189b92f.gif

futrocpd 11-12-2009 01:31 PM

:drool::drool:

JusticePete 11-12-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 (Post 1161340)
lol... hey us "old Camaro" guys gotta keep you "new Camaro" guys in line..

And yes, I do believe you had the fastest 2010 times. You were in the exhibition class though, right?

Absolutely. As a company we choose not to compete with our customers so we always run in 'exhibition' class. That is why having Paul drive was no big deal. He gets so much more out of the car than I do. I drive well enough to do our R & D and test driving on some cars. The 2010 Camaro came out so well that driving it to the limit is beyond my ability. Paul was right at home in a slow car by his standards.

Paul has no ride at this time. Is an unemployed FORMER professional driver still a professional? :D ;)

fixxxer525 11-12-2009 01:59 PM

Hey, JusticePete, I know you guys are upgrading the brakes. Will Forgeline wheels clear the new calipers or do you have to get a new set. I'm also getting Forgeline wheels and do a brake upgrade in a couple months.

JusticePete 11-12-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer525 (Post 1164942)
Hey, JusticePete, I know you guys are upgrading the brakes. Will Forgeline wheels clear the new calipers or do you have to get a new set. I'm also getting Forgeline wheels and do a brake upgrade in a couple months.

Good question.

1. We use Cobalt friction XR1 and XR3 pads for the Camaro. They are awesome pads and a brake upgrade in a brake pad box. We do this because we feel the OEM pads are not designed for track use. They can crater and fail from heat. It is a safety issue from our perspective. I had my OEM pads fail on the G8 and didn't wreck the car because I got lucky at the track. They failed in an ares that gave me an option. I was supposed to make a right turn from the back straight to the main straight. Doing more than 100 MPH I hit the brakes. They did almost nothing. Knowing the track is where I got lucky. slightly to the left is the entrance to the pits. I flew into the pits, through the parking lot and eventually stopped the car. The pits and park area were empty as I was the only car at the track. I got lucky. I also created a rule that day -- Never track a car with OEM pads. Never.

2. An after market kit SHOULD fit in the Forgelines. That is something we will have to address. I have no plans to change wheels. I just want more brake. an eight pot would be nice, especially fitted with our Pedders special pads from Cobalt Friction.

fixxxer525 11-12-2009 02:22 PM

Thanks for the info on the OEM pads. I just ordered the Xa Track Extreme kit two days ago, can't wait to enjoy it at a track day.

YancyJohns 11-12-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer525 (Post 1164942)

I have the Baer 6s brakes and a set of Forgelines. Call Scott or Dave at Forgeline they will make sure they fit. Great Guys!!!

DragWerks 11-12-2009 03:33 PM

Great vids, makes me want to get one and set up a car (for the first time) that can take corners.

PSJ

American Muscle 11-12-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythic (Post 1161854)
1) 275 (or 285) 20s

:sm0::sm0: :headbang:

JusticePete 11-12-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YancyJohns (Post 1165066)
I have the Baer 6s brakes and a set of Forgelines. Call Scott or Dave at Forgeline they will make sure they fit. Great Guys!!!

Dave is the MAN at Forgeline. I trust them with my life and my driver's lives.

Info@PeddersUSA.com 11-12-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 1164813)

The girl driver is in fact a Pedders option. LOL

mike
dms

tones2SS 11-12-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YancyJohns (Post 1165066)

We need pics when you get them bolted on Yancy!!!:thumbsup:

Steve1968LS2 11-12-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 1164863)

Paul has no ride at this time. Is an unemployed FORMER professional driver still a professional? :D ;)

I don't know.. would Michael Schumacher still be considered a professional driver? lol

Good seeing you out there and NICE interior pictures.. where can I get the accessory???

JusticePete 11-12-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 (Post 1166417)
I don't know.. would Michael Schumacher still be considered a professional driver? lol

I would call him unemployed with poor prospects of future employment in his area of expertise. :sm0:

Quote:

NICE interior pictures.. where can I get the accessory???

Pedders online catalog. :thumbup:

Quote:

Good seeing you out there.

Same here. I had a great time at the event and as is true of all car events the people make the event.

YancyJohns 11-12-2009 08:32 PM

Here's the results, great times guys!!!
http://www.optimainvitational.com/media/results.html

JusticePete 11-12-2009 08:45 PM

Pretty much what we had written down. The Cobra, killer 69 Camaro and the Pedders Camaro with the fastest road course laps. How great is it to have TWO Camaros as the fastest cars at the Challenge?

Beauwulf 11-12-2009 08:50 PM

Saweet Pete!

tones2SS 11-13-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 1166625)
Pretty much what we had written down. The Cobra, killer 69 Camaro and the Pedders Camaro with the fastest road course laps. How great is it to have TWO Camaros as the fastest cars at the Challenge?

You said it brother!! Camaros = FTW!!!:thumbsup::drinking:

futrocpd 11-13-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tones2SS (Post 1168883)
You said it brother!! Camaros = FTW!!!:thumbsup::drinking:

:thumbup: :word:

ls7camaro 11-13-2009 01:36 PM

whats the exhaust on this thing

LOWDOWN 11-13-2009 02:26 PM

Final results?

Fesler 11-13-2009 03:09 PM

Yes it was a great day hanging with Pete and Paul all day and cant wait till next year.

DC-SS 11-13-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 1164813)

Somehow I missed that interior option.... Can I back order that??? :drool:

jpetro 11-13-2009 05:40 PM

Congrats Pedders, I can't afford the whole system, just the sport package but seeing stuff like this makes writing that check easier everyday. "Just as good for less," don't tell me show me.

:sm1: I am so glad I found this forum.:thanks:

Mr Twisty 11-13-2009 07:51 PM

Great showing Pedders!