Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   G5.R (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285800)

Moreno1 03-29-2013 02:08 AM

G5.R

4 Attachment(s)

Introducing Project G5.R. The main goal is to push the envelope in the suspension/ handling department. Our dream would be to get an invitation to the Optima Challenge. The second goal is to build it with a level of attention to detail worthy of a spot at SEMA.
The plan is to shed as much weight as possible (approx 500 lbs). We will also be pushing the engine back 2" and drop it 1". The will help transfer weight off the front and lower the center of gravity.

Attachment 635988

Attachment 715038

Doc 03-29-2013 03:55 AM

Absolute work of art. Your patience and persistence is just amazing. Can't wait to see what the final weight is going to be on this thing!

Apex Motorsports 03-29-2013 05:32 AM

Great choice. This has been an amazing project to watch come together and I can think of no better partner for the suspension than Pfadt.

572HP 03-29-2013 05:54 AM

Wow! I wonder how long it would take for the new Z/28 brakes to be available. Wouldn't that be worth taking a look at? Maybe the guys at GM Performance would be able to hook you up???

driyac 03-29-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 572HP (Post 6352895)
Wow! I wonder how long it would take for the new Z/28 brakes to be available. Wouldn't that be worth taking a look at? Maybe the guys at GM Performance would be able to hook you up???

The z28 brakes look like the 6 piston brembos already used on the V and vettes

The carbon ceramics not sure on

dekan513 03-29-2013 08:34 AM

pfadt, is the way to go. love their stuff . nathan ur gonna have a work of art when u get done. U have dont lots for the site . keep it up.

vroomapunk 03-29-2013 09:38 AM

epic

SPCBA 03-29-2013 11:02 AM

weeee! another Moreno thread, cant beat that. the Moreno Bros garage and pfadt...america!

1977and2010 03-29-2013 01:48 PM

Good choice with Pfadt. Nothing but good stuff to say about them. I'll be watching this for sure.

Moreno1 03-29-2013 11:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6352809)
Absolute work of art. Your patience and persistence is just amazing. Can't wait to see what the final weight is going to be on this thing!

Thanks Doc, I can always count on you for encouraging words! :thanks:
I will be attacking G5.R in two stages.
~Stage one will be to put everything back together and working all the mechanical bugs out.
~Stage two will be pulling it back apart and going more radical. Think......... removing factory shock tower and replacing all of it with chrome moly tubing and filling all the spaces between the tubes with carbon fiber inserts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex Chase (Post 6352871)
Great choice. This has been an amazing project to watch come together and I can think of no better partner for the suspension than Pfadt.

I couldn't agree more!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 572HP (Post 6352895)

Joe, that new Z/28 is crazy off the hook! Looks like I will be changing plans as to the carbon fiber body pieces I am recreating. I'm still going to go forward with those but I will be replacing them with Z2/8 pieces as soon as they are available. One of my pet-peeves with our cars is the fat butt they have. The Z2/8 rear diffuser gives the appearance of a smaller rear. I love it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by driyac (Post 6353073)
The z28 brakes look like the 6 piston brembos already used on the V and vettes

I going to see if I can get the info and will post what I find out.

The carbon ceramics not sure on

Quote:

Originally Posted by dekan513 (Post 6353249)
pfadt, is the way to go. love their stuff . nathan ur gonna have a work of art when u get done. U have done lots for the site . keep it up.

Thanks Dekan!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vroomapunk (Post 6353459)
epic

Thanks bro

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCBA (Post 6353846)
weeee! another Moreno thread, cant beat that. the Moreno Bros garage and pfadt...america!

SPCBA, you can say that again, my two brothers have been helping me tremendously as we shoot for our targeted deadline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1977and2010 (Post 6354569)
Good choice with Pfadt. Nothing but good stuff to say about them. I'll be watching this for sure.

X1000

Quick update: Received my Hammerhead today.............:happyanim:

Attachment 491301

HUH?...........HEY............WAIT..........WHAT?. ..............WHAT THE !!!!!...............................HELL???? :sad0147::paddle:

Attachment 491302

Attachment 491303

ICTsccaCamaro 03-30-2013 08:13 PM

No guts?

Moreno1 03-30-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro (Post 6360692)
No guts?

Exactly!

JK......... I have to send props to Frank at DSS. I explained to him the attention to detail I am paying to each component of the project. He suggested he'd send me the housing shell so that I can detail them to fit the theme. They actually hand picked the casting they sent me to make sure I got the cleanest piece. I will be removing all the casting except the Hammerhead logo. I am having the cover powder-coated in texture black and replacing the bolts with ARP 12 point stainless. This will match my oil pan which was given the same treatment. I'm thinking I will paint the housing in the same BMW Frozen gray as I did the engine and transmission. After I'm done, it will go back to DSS for final assembly.

Stay tuned!

Fast6.3 03-31-2013 12:25 AM

thats one sweet build Nathan you are an inspiration to us all

Moreno1 03-31-2013 09:00 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast6.3 (Post 6361663)
thats one sweet build Nathan you are an inspiration to us all

Thanks Fast! I'm glad I've been able to contribute to such a great community here.

Details on Cradle:

In keeping with the goal of dropping 400 lbs, I replaced the factory cradle with Extreme Innovations chrome moly tubular cradle. The original is 63 lbs. The standard Extreme cradle is only 34.5 lbs. By the way, this cradle has been used in to all out track cars, one of which Pfadt Racing was involved with.

Attachment 491775

My cradle is even lighter as I will be making custom brackets to mount the radiator, therefore I had no need to have the rails go passed the cross member, so I had Craig cut them short and weld in an end caps.

Attachment 491776

Here you can see the cradle on the jig before he shortens the rails.

Attachment 491780

Here you can see where the rails have been shortened.

Attachment 491781

Attachment 491782

The level of workmanship is over the top. All the welds are this nice!

Attachment 491784

Attachment 491786

My decision to incorporate Pfadt suspension components has motivated me to bring every other part of the build to next level. As their pieces are engineering ART pieces.

Attachment 491787

Attachment 491788

Stay tuned for more updates tomorrow. I will be updating the thread daily at least for the next couple of weeks till I get caught up with were I am in the project.