Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Reported! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622931)

ZED SLED 02-12-2024 10:21 AM

Reported!

I would like to just take the opportunity to help out MLee and the other mods by re-iterating that once you report a spam post there's no need to post that you have done so. Per MLee, this just further complicates their efforts to clean up and remove the thread. I know, I've been spanked for doing it.
Happy to help you guys out!:bow:

mlee 02-12-2024 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZED SLED (Post 11403105)
I would like to just take the opportunity to help out MLee and the other mods by re-iterating that once you report a spam post there's no need to post that you have done so. Per MLee, this just further complicates their efforts to clean up and remove the thread. I know, I've been spanked for doing it.

:bow:

Thank you... we get the links so keep the spam buried and not bumped to the top.

Seems like SPAM is getting a lot worse now too.

Mr_Draco 02-12-2024 06:12 PM

To me, it's mostly just to let other people know it's been reported and there is no need to report it again. I mean would the mods rather deal with one report per spam that has 1 person posting "reported" or deal with 100+ reports per spam post from different people cause no one knows if anyone else reported it? Some mornings when I get on I've seen 5-6 spam posts so would they rather have to wade through 500-600 reports or just 5-6.

ZED SLED 02-13-2024 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Draco (Post 11403361)
To me, it's mostly just to let other people know it's been reported and there is no need to report it again. I mean would the mods rather deal with one report per spam that has 1 person posting "reported" or deal with 100+ reports per spam post from different people cause no one knows if anyone else reported it? Some mornings when I get on I've seen 5-6 spam posts so would they rather have to wade through 500-600 reports or just 5-6.

The comment from mlee a couple of months ago on this was that it's easier for them to deal with multiple reports than it is to deal with bumped posts. I don't remember what thread that comment was in but perhaps he can repost it here.

Sir Nuke 02-13-2024 08:14 AM

yesterday was especially bad....one guy had 2 accounts set up....only thing different was the name .......and was constantly posting over and over in 2 threads the same giberish. when I came across them each thread was up to over 30 posts and his posts were the only posts in the thread.

ariZona28 02-13-2024 08:42 AM

These spammers are definitely aggravating! :mad2:Maybe somebody can explain WHAT DO THEY GAIN by posting?!?! Are people giving them their credit card #s and SS #s? None of the other forums I go to have this problem. I do my part and report/no bump but our Mods and Admin have to be getting overwhelmed.

gtstorey 02-13-2024 09:18 AM

HPT forum was getting hit harder than normal over the weekend.

Mr_Draco 02-13-2024 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariZona28 (Post 11403688)
These spammers are definitely aggravating! :mad2:Maybe somebody can explain WHAT DO THEY GAIN by posting?!?! Are people giving them their credit card #s and SS #s? None of the other forums I go to have this problem. I do my part and report/no bump but our Mods and Admin have to be getting overwhelmed.

Most of the time, the sites they link generate money based on clicks similar to ad revenue so they don't need your info. Another tactic is that they do this to spike the amount of hits a site gets so they can turn around and sell the domain for large amounts claiming it gets a lot of visitors.

Though always be weary since a lot of times they will have viruses embedded in either the cookies or the img files and are doing it just to be malicious hoping to infest peoples computers.

mlee 02-13-2024 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZED SLED (Post 11403598)
The comment from mlee a couple of months ago on this was that it's easier for them to deal with multiple reports than it is to deal with bumped posts. I don't remember what thread that comment was in but perhaps he can repost it here.

Multiple reports are perfectly fine and a reminder it's still there.

We have a function to select all post and Delete/Ban at the same time. When folks start posting we have to weed them out so they don't get banned too. It also bumps the spam to the top.

1JEWLDSSRS 02-14-2024 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZED SLED (Post 11403105)

Thanks. I do remember seeing mlee's comments on this subject, hence why I don't post a "reported" note. I also do my best to help them weed out all this crap we have been getting hit hard with lately. Since I'm retired now and spend a lot of time on here trying to help folks out, I do see a lot of garbage and do my best to report it all. I do go through EVERY section when I'm on just to read what everyone has going on, you never know, I might just have an answer for their particular problem. Thanks Mike and your crew for all you do!! Appreciate it!! :bow::thumbup:

CalgaryZL1 02-14-2024 03:04 PM

The spam doesn’t bother me, you can spot it a mile away and simply ignore it. It’s the slow reaction time when interacting with the website? may be due to the influx of spam?

mlee 02-14-2024 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS (Post 11404138)
Thanks. I do remember seeing mlee's comments on this subject, hence why I don't post a "reported" note. I also do my best to help them weed out all this crap we have been getting hit hard with lately. Since I'm retired now and spend a lot of time on here trying to help folks out, I do see a lot of garbage and do my best to report it all. I do go through EVERY section when I'm on just to read what everyone has going on, you never know, I might just have an answer for their particular problem. Thanks Mike and your crew for all you do!! Appreciate it!! :bow::thumbup:

You're welcome...

And for SPAM there is no need to even type anything. Just hit the report button and submit. Keep it simple... :thumbup:

NoDakZ/28 02-15-2024 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 11404197)
You're welcome...

And for SPAM there is no need to even type anything. Just hit the report button and submit. Keep it simple... :thumbup:

When I do that it says "Please enter a reason for reporting this post"?

ariZona28 02-15-2024 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoDakZ/28 (Post 11404262)
When I do that it says "Please enter a reason for reporting this post"?

Same here. I just type in "Spam" and send it. :thumbup: