Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Need a little advice from the pros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486341)

TTTAPOUT 03-02-2017 10:22 PM

Need a little advice from the pros

I have a 2013 ZL1 with a Rotofab intake, otherwise stock. I am planning on installing a set of headers and I was concerned about tuning as I am trying to do this in stages to not have down time. I am also planning on upper and lower pulley with injectors, and I know I'll need a tune at that point. Can I get away with the headers without a tune? And do I need anything else for a 9.17 bottom and 2.55 upper? I know I'll need the new belt and the idler relocation kit. I was going to do the 160 thermostat, but I am concerned about needing a better fuel pump. This is all of my plans for now, maybe some cooling upgrades in the next month, but I don't plan to really track the car for quite some time.

Thanks in advanced!

winterboy8 03-03-2017 06:16 AM

I believe you will need to get a tune once you get headers. I was told I needed one, others who have posted the question were told the same. And for post pulley install you'll need colder plugs and a BAP/fuel pump upgrade as well.

POWERFREAK 03-03-2017 07:44 AM

If you want it to run right, get a tune. Some tuners offer discounted re-tunes for when you add more mods.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

TTTAPOUT 03-03-2017 05:10 PM

I was originally hoping to do the headers and drive it for a few days, then swap the pulleys and injectors and get tuned. Plugs should be pretty easy, I was also thinking about getting the MSD plug wires and heat protectors for the look. Bummed about needing a BAP.

STUNNAH 03-04-2017 01:27 AM

It would make perfect sense to do it all at once...I understand your theory, but you would be putting the "cart before the horse"...I would at least go with a BAP for fueling...Your going to need a tune and if you do all the mods at the same time you'll only require 1 tune for certain...

ZMEnow 03-04-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTTAPOUT (Post 9593026)
I was originally hoping to do the headers and drive it for a few days, then swap the pulleys and injectors and get tuned. Plugs should be pretty easy, I was also thinking about getting the MSD plug wires and heat protectors for the look. Bummed about needing a BAP.

You are ok for a couple of days on the headers, you may throw a CEL on the DIC because of the reduced back pressure. Risky business changing the pulleys and injectors and starting the motor without the tune.

Stephen12ZL1 03-04-2017 07:20 PM

Headers are o.k. without a tune but a CEL lght will illuminate due to the lack of catalytic converter efficiency or slow 02 sensors. No damage will result from such a simple add on. Do not swap injectors without a tune as they will flood the engine or run extremely rich. You can do a 5% overdrive ring with balancer swap without a tune and everything will be fine with stock injectors. Jannetty can provide a hand held tuner tomget you close after any part swap and is a very reputable source for information concerning these bolt ons.

JANNETTYRACING 03-07-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTTAPOUT (Post 9591549)
I have a 2013 ZL1 with a Rotofab intake, otherwise stock. I am planning on installing a set of headers and I was concerned about tuning as I am trying to do this in stages to not have down time. I am also planning on upper and lower pulley with injectors, and I know I'll need a tune at that point. Can I get away with the headers without a tune? And do I need anything else for a 9.17 bottom and 2.55 upper? I know I'll need the new belt and the idler relocation kit. I was going to do the 160 thermostat, but I am concerned about needing a better fuel pump. This is all of my plans for now, maybe some cooling upgrades in the next month, but I don't plan to really track the car for quite some time.

Thanks in advanced!

Hello, be happy to guide you on your quest for power and efficiency.

Our power packages are laid out to give you the most bang for the buck and include FREE custom tune for a true plug and play power solution.

Anything over 10% or 8.66 in crank pulley will require larger injectors like ID-850s.

No need to change the upper pulley you can spin the blower as fast as needed up to the limit of octane with just a lower and you maintain best belt traction.

If you run the headers without a tune you will have check engine light on.

A 174 Thermostat is a better option we have them in stock as well as every ZL-1 Part needed to make as much power as you like.

The stock fuel pump with a fuel pump voltage booster is good up to 700 RWHP.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss your project.

Ted.

TTTAPOUT 03-07-2017 08:47 PM

I was able to just make it a two day drop off and they got most everything done today. Injectors will be in first thing tomorrow and the tune is getting done in the afternoon.

JANNETTYRACING 03-08-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTTAPOUT (Post 9600701)
I was able to just make it a two day drop off and they got most everything done today. Injectors will be in first thing tomorrow and the tune is getting done in the afternoon.

9.17-2.55 combo in my opinion too much boost for pump gas.

TTTAPOUT 03-09-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING (Post 9601128)
9.17-2.55 combo in my opinion too much boost for pump gas.

I have seen plenty of guys running 9.55 with 2.55 on pump gas. I am planning to move to an E85 flex fuel system in the next month or so.

JANNETTYRACING 03-09-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTTAPOUT (Post 9603881)
I have seen plenty of guys running 9.55 with 2.55 on pump gas. I am planning to move to an E85 flex fuel system in the next month or so.

Yes people jump off bridges too, but you won't catch me doing it..:lol:

dentnshell 03-09-2017 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTTAPOUT (Post 9603881)

If you really are going to do e85... start there! The last thing you want to do is run your car too lean. You seem to be talking about doing the cheap mods first... Way to easy to melt the thing down. Moving to e85 will require new injectors / pumps / return line.

You asked for advice from the PRO's Ted gave it to you.

TTTAPOUT 03-09-2017 06:48 PM

Made 615HP/625tq no problems, running 15lbs of boost on a heartbreaking dynojet.