Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   NO GARAGE!!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146516)

jeb22 05-11-2011 01:25 AM

NO GARAGE!!!

Hey guys! Was just wondering if there was any good advice out there to protect my car...I don't have a garage, ordered my 2SS May 1st and am expecting it to be delivered sometime next month. I've talked to several buddies about it and some of the recommendations I'm getting is to get a car cover (I hear they scratch paint :() or to get a clear "car bra." I've looked into these "car bra's" and they seem like the best option overall, but cost an arm and a leg. Any other good recommendations out there? I'm stationed in Cheyenne, so you can imagine all the dust and what-not that could possibly hurt my vehicle :(.

xXSilencerXx 05-11-2011 01:28 AM

Car cover? I have one for mine, but you gotta make sure the car is clean before you put it on, or it's rug the dirt around and scratch the paint.

Iroczlover 05-11-2011 01:36 AM

wash it alot lol.

then store it in the winter.

we have a two car garage but with 9 cars most of them have to sit out side lol.

Ronn 05-11-2011 01:39 AM

Car cover

rberns 05-11-2011 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx (Post 3204828)
Car cover? I have one for mine, but you gotta make sure the car is clean before you put it on, or it's rug the dirt around and scratch the paint.

Exactly. You can buy some really nice car covers that have a soft padding inside. But like this guy said, make sure the car is washed and clean everytime you put it on. If you have a drive way, you can buy a good size tent like thing that has a roof and sides and just park your car inside of that. Depending on where you live in the states and if you get a lot of storms with hail, I would look into getting this tent thing. Not sure what those are really called, but it would work.

Cymaro 05-11-2011 02:16 AM

I would be careful before buying a car cover. I have seen a huge windstorm blow down trees and my gazebo 100 yards from where it was before. It would suck to have your $200 plus car cover ripped up from some wind that otherwise wouldn't have hurt your car.

Revo1 05-11-2011 02:17 AM

No garage either, got 2 cars out in the weather. Do you park in a place where you could utilize an EZ-Up?

jeb22 05-11-2011 02:42 AM

I live in an apartment complex so space is very limited :(

Revo1 05-11-2011 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeb22 (Post 3204893)
I live in an apartment complex so space is very limited :(

I know the feeling. Get yourself an all-weather car cover, just make sure you pull it off if any weather rolls in. Seems redundant to get an all-weather cover, just to take it off during ill weather, but all-weather covers are more heavy-duty, and best suited for (and least likely to damage your car in) any unforeseen wind/rain, etc that gets to the car before you do.

Clear bras are meant to protect the car from pebbles and small debris that may assault the car while you're on the road, but won't do much for you against weather or UV rays. A cover is what you want. Just remember to uncover the car whenever it gets nasty outside.

Oh and don't forget to wax the car. Wax is going to be your greatest ally in this case, especially if she's your DD.

jeb22 05-11-2011 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revo1 (Post 3204905)
I know the feeling. Get yourself an all-weather car cover, just make sure you pull it off if any weather rolls in. Seems redundant to get an all-weather cover, just to take it off during ill weather, but all-weather covers are more heavy-duty, and best suited for (and least likely to damage your car in) any unforeseen wind/rain, etc that gets to the car before you do.

Clear bras are meant to protect the car from pebbles and small debris that may assault the car while you're on the road, but won't do much for you against weather or UV rays. A cover is what you want. Just remember to uncover the car whenever it gets nasty outside.

Oh and don't forget to wax the car. Wax is going to be your greatest ally in this case, especially if she's your DD.

I hear ya but the weather in Wyoming is pretty radical. I work 14 hours shifts and sometimes here the wind just picks up 30+ mph for no reason out of the blue. This state is really causing me quite the dilemma...:mad0260:

black. 05-11-2011 03:59 AM

I've had my camaro out in the open since I got it about 4 months ago, and picked up a all weather car cover for about 25 bucks. I also got a 6 month unlimited hands free car wash for about $50 from groupon so I think this will hold me to mid-june when I finally get my garage. Just make sure you park it in a spot where only 1 person can park next to you and park opposite of your door where they open it away from your car and not towards.

RobertHarriSS 05-11-2011 07:00 AM

My car is outside all the time too. Just wash it often and get a good product to protect your paint. Wax, sealant, polish whatever route you decide to go. Your car will do fine out in the elements if you take the right steps to protect your paint.

RoyalKev 05-11-2011 07:06 AM

Just throw a couple coats of wax on there you should be good

Workinprogress 05-11-2011 07:10 AM

Something to think about for your the above advice, (which is very good) Don't get a car cover that advertises that its a Camaro. No stripes or lettering, just one way to draw additional thieves/etc... Just a thought

(thought I'd have a better first post....)