Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Oil cap breather? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194158)

ducq 01-07-2012 05:46 PM

Oil cap breather?

Getting a cam swap and wondering if this rx catch can and oil cap breather will give the tuner problems? I thought I read somewhere that this breather is okay but I want to find out for sure

MikeOD 01-07-2012 05:58 PM

Essentially, you'll be letting unmetered air into the engine through the crankcase system that hasn't been measured by the MAF...I wouldn't do it.

The Stig 01-07-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeOD (Post 4274575)
Essentially, you'll be letting unmetered air into the engine through the crankcase system that hasn't been measured by the MAF...I wouldn't do it.

Please research before posting on a topic.

The RX oil breather has a check valve to only allow air out of the crankcase, not in. This helps with positive crankcase ventilation and decreases oil blow by.

If you got an oil breather off of eBay per say, that didn't have a check valve. Then yes you would be letting unmetered air into the crankcase.

DandD 01-07-2012 06:46 PM

Thank you Stieger

MikeOD 01-07-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 4274633)

The RX oil breather has a check valve to only allow air out of the crankcase, not in. This helps with positive crankcase ventilation and decreases oil blow by.

If you got an oil breather off of eBay per say, that didn't have a check valve. Then yes you would be letting unmetered air into the crankcase.

My mistake, complete missed where he listed a specific brand.

If the check valve is reliable, then yeah, shouldn't affect the tune at all.

ducq 01-07-2012 10:26 PM

Okay I don't have to go digging for that tube and stock oil cap. I'll let my tuner know what stieger posted and see what he says.

"The RX oil breather has a check valve to only allow air out of the crankcase, not in. This helps with positive crankcase ventilation and decreases oil blow by. "

Thanks !

The Stig 01-07-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeOD (Post 4275226)
My mistake, complete missed where he listed a specific brand.

If the check valve is reliable, then yeah, shouldn't affect the tune at all.

No worries. Didn't mean to jump down your throat about it btw, it's just been a rough day.

axis 01-08-2012 08:36 AM

Even if it diid suck air in, how would that affect the tune? It's not like it's going into the combustion chamber. Unmetered air is only bad for the tune if it's using up fuel.

To the OP:
Be sure to check with guys that have it to see if they are getting excessive oily residue all over their engine. I had one for a short while on my old turbo Talon and it would blow oily residue all over everything.

The Stig 01-08-2012 08:56 AM

It will throw off the A/F ratio thus causing you to pull timing.

yotaman96 01-08-2012 08:59 AM

Quoted from SC2150 himself.

"These breathers have a integrated one way checkvalve that helps prevent any mist escaping from the breather into your engine compartment as well as controls the correct amount of flow into the crankcase unlike a "open" breather."

2SSCAMARO 01-08-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 4274633)

You really do need to follow your own advice! :)

The Stig 01-08-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO (Post 4277194)
You really do need to follow your own advice! :)

Haha fair enough. That's my bad for getting it backwards. But either or, the RX oil breather does have a check valve

jlauber588 01-08-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 4277036)
Even if it diid suck air in, how would that affect the tune? It's not like it's going into the combustion chamber. Unmetered air is only bad for the tune if it's using up fuel.

To the OP:
Be sure to check with guys that have it to see if they are getting excessive oily residue all over their engine. I had one for a short while on my old turbo Talon and it would blow oily residue all over everything.

Had mine for 600 miles now and no oil anywhere. Now even on the breather filter.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

IndeedSS1 01-08-2012 03:04 PM

Since you are going to have it tuned, any potential changes to fueling can be adusted. fwiw. I put a breather on my Impala and it threw the fuel trims way off. Someone was supposed to send me the RX breather to test on my Camaro (it's not custom tuned) so I could see if it affected fuel trims, but I've not seen it yet.