Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is the V6 in the new Camaro the same engine in the CTS? V6 quality issues? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82169)

scrming 05-09-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosrettap58 (Post 1826409)
I recall the 08 cts had problems that were addressed for the 09 model.

happen to remember how it was addressed?

Orange5thGen 05-09-2010 09:51 AM

Funny I have a 2008 and now my Power steering is making a loud whining noise and the truck would not not start in the Garage yesterday?? Dead as a doornail. WTF

Was the repair covered under warranty? Dealers are closed today and I cant call anyone..

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 1826313)
well... i would agree with you in principal.. BUT funny these posts are talking about 30,000 miles and my wife's Acadia looses a timing chain at 38,000 miles... hmmmm... coincidence? I've never had a timing chain go bad... let alone at 38,000 miles...

Now if there were only a few reports ok... but the fact is you have a wide variety of people with this issue and a number of GM techs saying their dealership is seeing a number of timing chains being replaced...

I mean for most it's not a big deal, since it will be covered under warranty...

nosrettap58 05-09-2010 10:06 AM

We were at one point considering getting a cts, as i remember there was a valvetrain issue. For 09 at some point they went to the direct injection, and seems like they also addressed the engine problem.

scrming 05-09-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosrettap58 (Post 1826642)
We were at one point considering getting a cts, as i remember there was a valvetrain issue. For 09 at some point they went to the direct injection, and seems like they also addressed the engine problem.

based on discussion I've had over the last couple weeks, i'm thinking the issue with the chains has not really been addressed... :iono:

scrming 05-09-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange5thGen (Post 1826604)
Funny I have a 2008 and now my Power steering is making a loud whining noise and the truck would not not start in the Garage yesterday?? Dead as a doornail. WTF

Was the repair covered under warranty? Dealers are closed today and I cant call anyone..

The Acadia was covered.... 2 days in the shop with a loaner...

zen 05-09-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 1824592)
Yes, I curious on why 4/09 also...

Not to be a smart a$$, but first it was"

"They are "several years old". so not to worry."

and then it was 04/09... :iono:

just doing some googling now... still a very hot topic... I'm guessing we haven't seen this issue because:

1) No one has 30,000+ miles yet
2) We probably change our oil a lot more regularly than the OLM tells us to. (the dirty oil = chain wear = chain lengthening = stretch)

My comments were based on the info provided in the "CTS" threads that i refered to not from personal knowledge.

Also, worth noting, the engine in the CTS comes with a factory fill of Mobil 1 synthetic whereas the Camaro 3.6DI come with regular (non-synthetic) oil.

PieNsky 05-09-2010 12:33 PM

Glad someone decided to make a thread about this as I was wondering if I was the only one having issues with my V6.
+30,000 miles on it as of a couple of weeks ago. This is a V6? I was buying it for the 29 HWY miles, how could it accelerate so easily on the intersate? :iono:

scrming 05-09-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PieNsky (Post 1827120)
Glad someone decided to make a thread about this as I was wondering if I was the only one having issues with my V6.
+30,000 miles on it as of a couple of weeks ago. This is a V6? I was buying it for the 29 HWY miles, how could it accelerate so easily on the intersate? :iono:

You are having issues?

levi1922 05-09-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 1827387)
You are having issues?

I think his is was that he was wondering why it was so fast, and economical at the same time. i think, thats how i read it. but reading it again, i think im worng. haha idk!

scrming 05-09-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levi1922 (Post 1827761)
I think his is was that he was wondering why it was so fast, and economical at the same time. i think, thats how i read it. but reading it again, i think im worng. haha idk!

Of course I think pie has a permanent CEL so how would he know? lol

THE EVIL TW1N 05-09-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levi1922 (Post 1827761)

ya, i dunno. I don't see how that post had anything to do with anything regarding the possible issues the LLT might/might not be facing in the near future.

zen 05-09-2010 04:48 PM

"...I was wondering if I was the only one having issues with my V6.
+30,000 miles on it as of a couple of weeks ago..."

Does he mean he has a problem, possibly with the timing chain?

levi1922 05-09-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zen (Post 1827883)
"...I was wondering if I was the only one having issues with my V6.
+30,000 miles on it as of a couple of weeks ago..."

Does he mean he has a problem, possibly with the timing chain?

haha thats what we all wanna know!

two_wheel_mayhem 05-09-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 1826318)
just going by what little birdies are telling me... :iono:

so... who do you think changes their oil more regularly? the Soccer Mom who waits until the DIC tells her to change her oil (maybe ever 10,000 to 12,000 miles?) or the Camaro owner? Also who do you think is most likely to put the cheapy quicky-lube oil in their car?

Yeah you make some good points, and I will have to agree in most cases.

On the other hand though, which group of buyers cars see higher RPM?

I certainly haven't been too concerned with fuel mileage in mine.

More Revs certainly means more oil flow.

Then they put a manual trans behind some Camaros, which is harder on a timing chain (no load between shifts)

Im not arguing with you, just throwing some ideas around.

Im sure time (and miles) will tell in the end.