Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   UK (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Brake Upgrade (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509371)

RickGM 09-29-2017 09:29 AM

Brake Upgrade

Time for new pads (whistling, whoooing and getting THIN) so thinking about a brake upgrade to complement the blower when it arrives!!

Have never been overly impressed with the braking so... any recommendations.

Been looking on the EBC website who have UK stock of Redstuff brake pads and slotted and dimpled brake discs for the Gen5.

Anyone fitted them?

Gordo-D 09-30-2017 05:18 PM

I'm interested in this, mine is stock with stock pads, its better braking than my Mustang was but Brembos at each corner should be better than this. ;)

RickGM 10-01-2017 02:02 AM

Been doing a bit of research. As ever there's conflicting reports on the Redstuff pads ranging from awesome and quiet to useless and unbearable noisy, from dust free to excessively dusty, from crumbly or debonding to long lasting.
The only info that I'm happy with is that replacing pads is pretty straight forward and the same for replacing the discs also (YouTube). It's just what to replace with and whether to do the discs as well as pads. 🤔

redleader 10-01-2017 03:16 AM

I read myself inside out on this subject too.
I just asked Pete1LE to get me Stock OEM replacements :-(

Yellow 1 10-01-2017 04:36 AM

I'm following this with interest Rick as I'm also bolting on some hp hardware this winter; brakes aren't bad but an upgrade (at least on the front end) would seem to be appropriate.
I wondered if ZL1 stuff would suffice?

johndm 10-01-2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redleader (Post 9924579)
I read myself inside out on this subject too.
I just asked Pete1LE to get me Stock OEM replacements :-(

Mine had to have new pads for its IVA test, I presume they are stock and I get very little brake dust, and they are the best brakes I've had on any car period.

I think they are stock as it stops just like the SS rental I had a couple of years ago here in the US.

The 3 month old Mustang I'm driving over here this year by comparison has really rubbish brakes.....but it is only an Eco Boost

John

RickGM 10-01-2017 10:09 AM

Gonna have a chat with EBC if I can tomorrow. Might just start with pads (other than OEM's) to see how they go. Don't know if the worn pads are the cause but I've been overshooting approaching roundabouts etc - not good and have never been over impressed with braking for such a powerful heavy car.

RickGM 10-02-2017 06:39 AM

Following call to EBC technical I've been advised Yellowstuff are the better pads albeit producing more dust than the Redstuff (allegedly still less than OEM's). Yellowstuff perform better than Redstuff from cold and also when hot. They are not known to be noisy (contrary to some forums) but the slotted and dimpled discs do make a noise. Stock discs with the Yellow or Red pads should show a significant improvement to OEM pads.

EBC Prices;
Front and rear Yellowstuff pads £268.
Front and rear pads with slotted and dimpled discs £764.
Front and rear with standard discs £601.

Yellow 1 10-02-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickGM (Post 9925593)
Following call to EBC technical I've been advised Yellowstuff are the better pads albeit producing more dust than the Redstuff (allegedly still less than OEM's). Yellowstuff perform better than Redstuff from cold and also when hot. They are not known to be noisy (contrary to some forums) but the slotted and dimpled discs do make a noise. Stock discs with the Yellow or Red pads should show a significant improvement to OEM pads.

EBC Prices;
Front and rear Yellowstuff pads £268.
Front and rear pads with slotted and dimpled discs £764.
Front and rear with standard discs £601.

That's really useful research Rick, good job matey! I did look at the GM Chevrolet Performance catalogue & they offer the ZL1 set -up with larger diam discs and six-pot calipers but I bet they'll be ££££££££££.

RickGM 10-02-2017 09:57 AM

I'm gonna give the Yellowstuff pads all round a go with stock discs (or rotors as they call them). Just got to check the disc thickness before deciding if they're needed. Would like the slotted discs but when the retailer says they make a noise...

racesloth 10-05-2017 07:25 AM

Rick,

I had Yellow stuff pads on the front of my Camaro and was very happy with them. I think they were 110 quid from RGS. They were not very noisy considering the high metallic content - but every one and while a I would get a squeak here and there.

Thanks,
Dan

RickGM 10-05-2017 02:52 PM

Front and rear pads and discs (rotors) were £601 Inc delivery. Fitted fronts today. Poor braking performance (and MOT failure yesterday with 50% front brake inbalance) was down to a pad jammed in the caliper. Took a bit of getting out and a big hammer! Did a brief road test and the brakes were grating quite a bit. Hopefully they'll settle down

racesloth 10-06-2017 04:13 AM

If the EBC rotors have the black coating it will make noise until a clean sweep area on the rotor by the pad is complete. We pu a set on a friend of mine's GTR and it was loud until the rotor cleaned up...

Cheers

RickGM 10-06-2017 04:22 AM

Exactly that Dan. Perfect this morning and even though I've not done the rears yet it's a different car (not tried fierce braking until they're properly run in).