Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   GM powertrain Engineer speaks about the LS9 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3069)

Mr. Wyndham 03-04-2008 11:33 AM

GM powertrain Engineer speaks about the LS9

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/04/v...r1-ls9-engine/

Hit the link for a video:thumbsup:

Quote:

The ZR1 Corvette is one serious piece of American metal, with the athleticism of a track star and the brute power of drag racer. While light weight materials, magnetic damping and 15.5-inch Brembo brakes sounds impressive, the real meat lies under the hood of the fastest ever production Corvette. GM's supercharged 6.2L small block V8 packs at least 620 hp and nearly 600 lb-ft of torque, and its duty is to finally put the Corvette into the supercar club. We were lucky enough to spend some time with Ron Meegan, the assistant chief of GM's small block engine program, and he gave us an engineer's view of the supercharged LS9 engine. Hit the jump to learn why GM didn't use the 7.0L V8 from the Z06, why the Eaton supercharger is so special, and whether or not GM is being modest with the ZR1's projected 620 hp rating.

radz28 03-04-2008 11:50 AM

Sweet!!!

swazworth 03-04-2008 12:19 PM

now can we say 2011 camaro ls9?????? ok i know i'm dreaming.

GTAHVIT 03-04-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazworth (Post 49140)
now can we say 2011 camaro ls9?????? ok i know i'm dreaming.

No, you're not dreaming. That's called positive reinforcement...;)

AWWWWWW DAMN!!!!

I CANT WAIT!!!

radz28 03-04-2008 01:33 PM

LSA is cool too!

GTAHVIT 03-04-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 49161)
LSA is cool too!

+1

The LSA is really what I am hoping for. I think we can get to LS9 Power with a pulley and maybe a cam change. Not to mention all the bolt on mods....:thumbsup:

Emu the Foo 03-04-2008 02:39 PM

how much you figure the camaro would cost though, 80k??? zr1 will supposedly top 100k. first one off the line sold for 1mil+ j leno drove it on stage at barret jackson

radz28 03-04-2008 02:45 PM

I think a pulley change would get us there. I can't remember the cam specs' on the LSA but I know the SC is smaller, however, the intake/intercooler is more efficient on the LSA than the LS9, from what I've read. Maybe LS9 needs a bigger SC to make up for the inefficiency of the intake as opposed to LSA.

I'm thinking pulley, tune, intake, and catback will be pretty close to LS9 power. Let's just keep our fingers crossed...

I don't think Camaro will come from GM much more than $45K if anything. We've been told again-and-again it wil be comparable to Mustang, so...

GTAHVIT 03-04-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emu the Foo (Post 49187)
how much you figure the camaro would cost though, 80k??? zr1 will supposedly top 100k. first one off the line sold for 1mil+ j leno drove it on stage at barret jackson

Ah come on. ;) There's a ton more capability in the ZR1 than the Camaro. The chassis alone...

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 49191)
I think a pulley change would get us there. I can't remember the cam specs' on the LSA but I know the SC is smaller, however, the intake/intercooler is more efficient on the LSA than the LS9, from what I've read. Maybe LS9 needs a bigger SC to make up for the inefficiency of the intake as opposed to LSA.

I'm thinking pulley, tune, intake, and catback will be pretty close to LS9 power. Let's just keep our fingers crossed...

I don't think Camaro will come from GM much more than $45K if anything. We've been told again-and-again it wil be comparable to Mustang, so...

The LSA has a 1900 and the LS9 is a 2300 supercharger. And I agree those Simple bolt on's should do the trick. I'd like a msd box and wires, headers, and CAI. I'm thinking that should about do it. And if not add a Cam and retune.

Having said all that, For 45K We better be talking LS9 numbers.

Emu the Foo 03-04-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtahvit (Post 49213)
Ah come on. ;) There's a ton more capability in the ZR1 than the Camaro. The chassis alone...

The LSA has a 1900 and the LS9 is a 2300 supercharger. And I agree those Simple bolt on's should do the trick. I'd like a msd box and wires, headers, and CAI. I'm thinking that should about do it. And if not add a Cam and retune.

Having said all that, For 45K We better be talking LS9 numbers.

true, but horsepower is money, and in demand. but ill drop the bar to 70k. thats still alot for a camaro. then again if i had the money i doubt i would be saying that.

radz28 03-04-2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emu the Foo (Post 49219)
true, but horsepower is money, and in demand. but ill drop the bar to 70k. thats still alot for a camaro. then again if i had the money i doubt i would be saying that.

I hear ya' on this. I wouldn't complain if I had the $$$. I don't think anyone in their right mind would pay $70K for a Camaro, LS9 or not. I love the car and all, but that's almost crazy.

That's not to say I couldn't find a way to spend another $30K in modifications on a $40K car though. I just mean a stock $70K car.

Like you said: horsepower is money. Keep the Ti rods and bigger SC and I'd be plenty happy with an LSA.

Emu the Foo 03-04-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 49228)
I hear ya' on this. I wouldn't complain if I had the $$$. I don't think anyone in their right mind would pay $70K for a Camaro, LS9 or not. I love the car and all, but that's almost crazy.

That's not to say I couldn't find a way to spend another $30K in modifications on a $40K car though. I just mean a stock $70K car.

Like you said: horsepower is money. Keep the Ti rods and bigger SC and I'd be plenty happy with an LSA.

EXACTLY

GTAHVIT 03-04-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 49228)

Yup!

DGthe3 03-04-2008 08:16 PM

he he he. I like the ZR-1. And LS9. One cool thing that I noticed in the video is that the supercharger whine has been nearly eliminated. So all you hear is 600+hp beastlyness. 'nother cool fact is that the brakes were developed for the Ferari Enzo and FXX. The ZR-1 wont be the fastest car in the world, but it won't get embarassed on the track by Enzos either. I don't think there is another car that sells for ~100k that can make such a claim. Makes you wonder what all that F1 derived tech is good for.