Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Asking for advice on headers (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536439)

67 to 91 to 13 08-15-2018 05:26 PM

Asking for advice on headers

2013 L99. Have a z28 cai and slp loudmouth axle back.
Looking into headers and a tune. And this will likely be it for under the hood mods.
Looking at a Texas speed complete system w/headers, cats, xpipe and exhaust.
Also considering hooker headers.
If I go with hooker what am I going to get if I just just connect headers to my current exhaust system?
Should I get their high flow cats?
What is the benefit of x pipes vs connecting to stock resonator?
Will headers and a loudmouth back axle be too loud?
I am not looking to wake everyone up in the neighborhood or make the ride not enjoyable, but Want to add some hp.
I have been scowering the forum and will continue to do so.
Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Royal Tiger 08-15-2018 05:42 PM

Absolutely get rid of the stock resonator. Heavy and kills the sound. As for wanting some extra HP, ditching the stock cats are where you get some. I prefer US made products to ones made in China, but it’s your car.

Sinister10 08-15-2018 05:59 PM

I’d stay away from the hooker headers. I had a set of them on a 2000 Trans Am and they started to rust just after a year, after 2 years, all of the coating under at the collectors wore off and had pin holes in them.

I’d go with a set of stainless, TSP, Kooks, etc

I’d also go with a complete system. Takes all the guesswork out and the system is tuned to work together

67 to 91 to 13 08-15-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Tiger (Post 10283645)
Absolutely get rid of the stock resonator. Heavy and kills the sound. As for wanting some extra HP, ditching the stock cats are where you get some. I prefer US made products to ones made in China, but it’s your car.

Which are made in the US? V china

Matt8892(2) 08-15-2018 06:14 PM

Tsp headers and cats have my vote. 02 extenders from them with new gm gaskets. And I would say go for the x pipe. May be worth selling the axle back and doing a full cat back with the headers.

Also, depending on miles may be worth swapping new plugs since you’ll have them out already anyways.

67 to 91 to 13 08-15-2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister10 (Post 10283661)
I’d stay away from the hooker headers. I had a set of them on a 2000 Trans Am and they started to rust just after a year, after 2 years, all of the coating under at the collectors wore off and had pin holes in them.

I’d go with a set of stainless, TSP, Kooks, etc

I’d also go with a complete system. Takes all the guesswork out and the system is tuned to work together

Thanks I meant kook’s not hooker. I get the k’s messed up.

67 to 91 to 13 08-15-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Tiger (Post 10283645)

Does the resonator affect hp at all? Thx

Avenging Orange 08-15-2018 07:34 PM

I would suggest visiting the bolt on/exhaust section and do some reading. Tons of useful information there.

UBB 08-15-2018 08:33 PM

I have the catless American Racing kit. Love it but it's not cheap

Smokin19 08-16-2018 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UBB (Post 10283799)
I have the catless American Racing kit. Love it but it's not cheap

Same here, American Racing Headers and no cats.

agent5 08-16-2018 10:28 AM

I installed the dynatech headers + cats but kept my dual mode exhaust, the sound is great and surprisingly loud in a good way.

rontammy0 08-16-2018 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my setup OP. Stainless Power 1 7/8 longtubes with cats into Corsa Xtreme 3 inch catback. Get rid of you stock resonator and at least put in an x pipe if you want headers hooked to a factory exhaust. As you can see the stock resonator is gone.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/attac...1&d=1534443596

bayarea408 08-16-2018 02:55 PM

If you ever have plans for boost or going full kill, look into headers with 2" primaries. I ran a set of 2" primary to dual 3" exhaust from an ebay brand called manzo for several years, whole entire kit was like 700 bucks header to tail pipe. Best bang for the buck ever. The MOST flow at the most affordable price, cant beat it.

pyroguy 08-17-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 to 91 to 13 (Post 10283628)
2013 L99. Have a z28 cai and slp loudmouth axle back.
Looking into headers and a tune. And this will likely be it for under the hood mods.
Looking at a Texas speed complete system w/headers, cats, xpipe and exhaust.
Also considering hooker headers.
If I go with hooker what am I going to get if I just just connect headers to my current exhaust system?
Should I get their high flow cats?
What is the benefit of x pipes vs connecting to stock resonator?
Will headers and a loudmouth back axle be too loud?
I am not looking to wake everyone up in the neighborhood or make the ride not enjoyable, but Want to add some hp.
I have been scowering the forum and will continue to do so.
Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

I went with Kooks with high flow cats personally. I've been very happy with them and while some say I overpaid, I'd buy them again because I feel I got exactly what I wanted. With your loudmouth exhaust you may get a little loud, but if you're still running the stock resonator you may not be as bad as if you were without it. However, you're likely to drone especially if you leave AFM enabled with your headers. My Solo exhaust has very minor drone with my headers and AFM still enabled, but it really isn't bad thanks to the J pipes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 to 91 to 13 (Post 10283674)
Which are made in the US? V china

American made: Kooks, ARH, Stainless Works
Chinese made: Everything else: Texas Speed, Stainless Power, OBX, Speed Engineering, etc.