Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Minor accident, need advice (pics!) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260391)

sir574 11-11-2012 04:30 PM

Minor accident, need advice (pics!)

5 Attachment(s)
Had a minor accident last night, it was my fault and no one was hurt.

As you can see from the pics the damage looks very minor. I have accident forgiveness so am going to get some estimates to get it fixed.

Now my question is, what do you guys all think needs to get fixed? Is it just a full repaint of the bumper, or a whole new bumper all together?

I've also ran the idea of just taking the money and putting it towards a ZL1 bumper... Is that possible on a 2011? and about how much is it going to cost for that?

Thanks in advance!

sir574 11-11-2012 04:31 PM

Its very hard to see in the pics, but there are like spider cracks in the paint under the clear coat.

menendez1293 11-11-2012 04:38 PM

From the pictures my guess is that it would just be repaint. I dont see any places where the bumper is actually bubbling or cracking just looks like chipped paint

soloknight6 11-11-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir574 (Post 5797804)

As you can see from the pics the damage looks very minor. I have accident forgiveness so am going to get some estimates to get it fixed.

Now my question is, what do you guys all think needs to get fixed? Is it just a full repaint of the bumper, or a whole new bumper all together?

Looks like the bumper can be fixed, but you might as well get a new bumper. In my experience, the repairs will probably cost about the same as a bumper replacement.

I've also ran the idea of just taking the money and putting it towards a ZL1 bumper... Is that possible on a 2011? and about how much is it going to cost for that?

Yes, you can add a ZL1 bumper to your car. I believe its about a $1,300 job.

Thanks in advance!

:thumbsup:

upflying 11-11-2012 04:40 PM

Depending on what your collision deductible is, you might not want to make an insurance claim...even with accident forgiveness.

sir574 11-11-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 5797834)
Depending on what your collision deductible is, you might not want to make an insurance claim...even with accident forgiveness.

as it was my fault, I had to put it in due to the fact that the other person will be claiming it against my insurance. So its going to use up my accident forgiveness anyways they told me. So I might as well get it fixed and or take the money.

tjk_art 11-11-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir574 (Post 5797840)
as it was my fault, I had to put it in due to the fact that the other person will be claiming it against my insurance. So its going to use up my accident forgiveness anyways they told me. So I might as well get it fixed and or take the money.

You're not going to just "take the money." Your rates will go up if you do.

Forcer 11-11-2012 04:52 PM

Its gonna be a repaint, if you do go through insurance, you could take the money, buy the ZL1 front bumper then pay for the painting of it.. i would do it but thats me. prob 500-800 out of pocket

sir574 11-11-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjk_art (Post 5797870)
You're not going to just "take the money." Your rates will go up if you do.

my insurance rates will not go up, they assured me of this over the phone. This is due to my accident forgiveness.

jameslk55 11-11-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir574 (Post 5797804)

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to hear what happened. I'm guessing it's a full repaint of the bumper, and not a whole new bumper all together. I'm not a body shop guy but it does not look that severe where a replacement bumper would be needed.

I would get your estimates first and then go from there. You can definitely do the ZL1 conversion on a 2011/V6 but it might cost you a bit more than the money you'll receive.

Scott@Bjorn3D 11-11-2012 06:26 PM

Going to be new front bumper. You can see it is wrinkled from the bumper bending. When a lady backed into me and it looked like that the replaced the entire bumper.

midnighter 11-11-2012 06:37 PM

Your bumper is all warped up. They can't repair that and leave it smooth, trust me, I've been through it with these thin urethane bumper covers. If you are interested in a ZL1 conversion you should check these guys out:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196947

Fiveg56 11-11-2012 07:28 PM

Unless I'm missing something...that bumper looks like it will need to be replaced.

zkdreads 11-11-2012 07:51 PM

repaint and get t2 ports and BAM! done deal