Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Driving the MN6? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37842)

WySS 08-17-2009 03:05 PM

Driving the MN6?

Ok im 26 and a total noob at driving a manual car and I took delivery of my first one on tuesday, a 2SS with the MN6. Any tips for driving it? How do i get a smooth start? I think i have had 2 in a week. I'm shifting by the sound of the engine but what are your guys' average shift speeds so i can see how i compare? How do i smooth out my shifts? Should i try the 1-3-5 shifting that a few are talking about on here? At lights does it hurt to leave the clutch fully depressed? How do I start on hills? What about downshifting, half the people i talk to say do it the others say brakes are cheaper than a trans. Sorry for all the questions but i really want to get better at this. Thanks in advance for your advice. :bow:

Camar0wn3d 08-17-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WySS (Post 808733)
How do i get a smooth start?

practice, practice. I start by giving a small amount of gas (like 5% throttle or less), then for every inch I bring the clutch out I give about 1/2" throttle. But it comes with practice.
Quote:

I'm shifting by the sound of the engine but what are your guys' average shift speeds so i can see how i compare?
I do it by the sound too, but for everyday driving I shift around 2,000 RPMs. If I want to make myself smile, I shift around 6,000.
Quote:

How do i smooth out my shifts?
don't take your foot off the gas all at once and then shift. Ease off the gas a little and then push in clutch, shift, then ease off the clutch (meaning, take about 1/2 second or so to go from clutch in to clutch out).
Quote:

Should i try the 1-3-5 shifting that a few are talking about on here?
I don't, but it's a matter of personal preference.
Quote:

At lights does it hurt to leave the clutch fully depressed?
I always leave the clutch in at lights. Have been driving a stick shift for 14 years and have only had to replace 1 clutch on 1 of my cars. The clutch gets worn when it is between fully engaged and disengaged. If it's all the way in or all the way out, you're not hurting it. It's the in-between that causes it to wear.
Quote:

How do I start on hills?
No substitute for practice. See if you can find an empty parking lot with hills...
Quote:

What about downshifting, half the people i talk to say do it the others say brakes are cheaper than a trans.
I agree. Unless you're racing on a road course, it's not really needed.

You will probably get different answers from different people but this is how I drive mine. Good luck and hope this helps! :drinking:

ckaram 08-17-2009 06:24 PM

Dude, just drive the s**t out of the car. You will get good at it, it's inevitable!

rez14usn 08-17-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckaram (Post 809617)
Dude, just drive the s**t out of the car. You will get good at it, it's inevitable!

:laughabove::laughabove::laughabove::laughabove::l aughabove::laughabove:

:word:

Hell Yeah!!!!!

vuduman67 08-17-2009 07:27 PM

That is awesome that this is your first time driving a manual trans! I dont think I would of been brave enough to dive into a 426HP manual for my first time.:w00t: The only advice I can give you is much like the others. Just go out and drive. I would find a nice empty road or parking lot and just try different methods. The only way your gonna hurt the clutch is if you hold it in the middle for a long period of time. Well I wouldnt suggest a 7000rpm dump either:D
When you get the feel for things you can even shift without the clutch! If your cruisin around 40 or fifty and decide to go into fith gear it drops right in!
A buddy of mine who has been driving stick for 20 years was amazed that I could shift all the way to fith without the clutch.
Good Luck and Happy shiftin!!!!!

jmcbeth 08-17-2009 07:39 PM

Horsepower gives good advice. I always have clutch depressed at lights and shifter in 1st gear.

One other thought for hills, especially steep ones:

Hold the parking brake up with locking button pushed in. As you add gas and release clutch, release parking brake.

As suggested, practice makes perfect.

vuduman67 08-17-2009 07:43 PM

One other thought for hills, especially steep ones:

Hold the parking brake up with locking button pushed in. As you add gas and release clutch, release parking brake.

Awesome Tip!!!!

WySS 08-18-2009 04:56 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, i took my car to the old Mervyn's parking lot last night and practiced taking off for about 15 minutes. Then i spent some time in the parking structure trying some hill starts.

Getting better definitely need some more practice though.

I really wish there was a way to disable the gauge sweeps everytime you start the car, its annoying having to wait for them when you stall the car out when the light turns green and your waiting for your tach so you can get going.

ckaram 08-18-2009 08:26 PM

Hang in there! You'll get it!

smoothoperator 08-19-2009 01:05 PM

Shouldn't take more then a week or driving to get used to it. I am 27 now and have been driving manuals since 16 and I will admit when I test drove the M6 Camaro it has the tightest grab point I have driven.