Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Paddle shifting feels more responsive than in D and S? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304965)

infernostripes! 06-30-2013 06:08 PM

Paddle shifting feels more responsive than in D and S?

Does anyone know why my car feels a lot more responsive when I'm shifting behind the wheel than when it is in D and S? It's tuned just to throw that out there. & I'm sure there's a difference in response, I've been driving my car for 4 years and I can tell

Thanks for your input

mlee 06-30-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infernostripes! (Post 6735908)
Does anyone know why my car feels a lot more responsive when I'm shifting behind the wheel than when it is in D and S? It's tuned just to throw that out there. & I'm sure there's a difference in response, I've been driving my car for 4 years and I can tell

Thanks for your input

There should be no difference... the tune affects D gears 1 thru 6... and S gears 1 thru 6 independently but not tap shift. Your tune is probably set up a bit firmer in S so what you're experiencing is the difference between D and tap shift mode, plus you are able to hold your shift to higher RPMs using tap shift.

infernostripes! 06-30-2013 07:09 PM

I was thinking that there shouldnt be a difference but the car is much more jerky in tap shift than in S :noidea:

mlee 06-30-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infernostripes! (Post 6736113)
I was thinking that there shouldnt be a difference but the car is much more jerky in tap shift than in S :noidea:

Then it's the shift at higher RPM than normal. It's a good thing and you have a great tuner.. Enjoy..:smoking:

infernostripes! 06-30-2013 08:56 PM

Is there anyway that I could find out at what rpm to shift at???

2SS45th 06-30-2013 09:01 PM

If you have a dyno sheet that'll tell ya :thumbsup:

mlee 06-30-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infernostripes! (Post 6736524)

Using paddles it's all up to you. Just run your car in Sport mode without paddles. Paddle shifting is totally worthless for anything performance wise. They are only for fun.

2SSnTEX 06-30-2013 10:17 PM

You'll know when to shift when it starts banging out. ;)

Using the paddles, when I have the rpms up around 4ish it def jerks when u play with the gas. can't do that in D or S, when u let off gas alil bit it shifts up and drops rpms stopping the jerkiness.

Rhino79 06-30-2013 10:18 PM

The tune effects tap shift as well.

There are pressure, shift timing, and converter lockup settings for drive, sport and tap mode.

SPCBA 06-30-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infernostripes! (Post 6736524)

i dont know how you drive car, where you drive it, or anything about your car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 6736702)
Using paddles it's all up to you. Just run your car in Sport mode without paddles. Paddle shifting is totally worthless for anything performance wise. They are only for fun.

i disagree. having more control of car is a performance increase in my opinion.
ya 1/4 mile its prob best to let car shift anything else i would say a human brain

mlee 06-30-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino79 (Post 6736845)
The tune effects tap shift as well.

There are pressure, shift timing, and converter lockup settings for drive, sport and tap mode.

I stand corrected... I had never seen tables associated w/ manual mode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCBA (Post 6736856)
i disagree. having more control of car is a performance increase in my opinion.
ya 1/4 mile its prob best to let car shift anything else i would say a human brain

Yes, I'm talking about both drag and road track. I guess if you're holding rpms in the power band around town that would be considered performance, but if I'm going WOT I'm certainly not going to rely on tap shift.

Pro Stock John 06-30-2013 11:21 PM

I was using the paddle shifters for a few roll races, came in handy. If I used the paddle shifters it's usually to hold out a gear on the highway so I can scare people.

SPCBA 07-01-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 6737025)
I stand corrected... I had never seen tables associated w/ manual mode.

Yes, I'm talking about both drag and road track. I guess if you're holding rpms in the power band around town that would be considered performance, but if I'm going WOT I'm certainly not going to rely on tap shift.

having the car at the right and predictable spot in the powerband coming out of turns is pretty important in road courses. using some downshifts for braking also can be considered performance orientated.

with all that said, i am killing my stock ss trans. will have the one out of zl1 and ctsv with customized gearing before summers out.

infernostripes! 07-01-2013 12:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SS45th (Post 6736554)
If you have a dyno sheet that'll tell ya :thumbsup:

I have a dyno sheet!