Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Test drove 2 Camaros tonight, question about the manual (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288817)

BigRedMikeLV 04-12-2013 12:00 AM

Test drove 2 Camaros tonight, question about the manual

Alrighty,

So I just put down a deposit on a 2014 2SS as ordering is going to open in a couple of weeks, so I want in on the first batch.

Told the sales dude I was working with I wanted to TD an auto and manual to see which one I would prefer to drive.

The auto was fun and easy to drive, got to take it around some curved off/on ramps and really let 'er rip. Permagrin the whole time.

Not so much on the manual. I've driven manual cars before, and they seem to have a lot bigger window of "give" for the clutch than what I was experiencing. 1 out of the 15 times I tried I actually got it off the line, the sales dude pretty much drove for me. :frown: The manual I test drove had a Hurst Short Throw. Would that have had any effect on the clutch? (Kinda retarded when it comes to cars so feel free to laugh, I do the same with people who don't know tech like I do) Would it be a little more friendly with a standard manual tranny or the 1LE?

I would love a manual especially for the dual mode exhaust (oh gawd that burble), but I'd also love to be able to drive the thing confidently.

purkel 04-12-2013 01:44 AM

i think its something you'll probably get used to. i know that coming from a bmw to a ford, i hated the ford clutch but i eventually got used to it.

CHMSC 04-12-2013 01:50 AM

If you are not used to a manual it won't take real long to get use to it.

HaulnJ 04-12-2013 01:53 AM

the manuals are a little touchy at first, probably because of the hydraulics instead of manual linkage. you get used to it and way more fun than the auto. Don't forget the extra HP with the LS3.

ghostrider77 04-12-2013 02:00 AM

I came from a BMW before I got the Camaro and yes, the clutch takes some getting used to. I noticed that it had much more travel than what I had experienced with any of my previous cars, and had an odd springiness which I also had not experienced before.

Rest assured that you will get accustomed to it. Autos are fun, but you just can't beat a manual for pure driving enjoyment.

BigRedMikeLV 04-12-2013 02:32 AM

Does the springiness mellow out with a break in? Most cars have super springy/hard pedals when you get them, but become easier to work with over time. I didn't like the spring on the clutch myself, as it made it harder for me to judge how fast I was letting it out which resulted in the frequent stalls, but it may just be a "get used to it" thing.

Also not heartbroken over 26 horses when I see enough evidence that they actually perform the same. I just want it more for the dual mode exhaust and possibly the 1LE package.

PeeBee 04-12-2013 04:37 AM

Hurst short throw doesn't change anything to the way the clutch reacts, nor to the gear ratios (just saying that you still have the standard manual transmission).

It's definitely a getting used to thing, first few weeks I drove the Camaro, I stalled it a few times (especially uphill it's difficult to judge it), and I've basically been driving manuals almost all the time.

Agent orange 04-12-2013 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedMikeLV (Post 6414179)
Alrighty,

So I just put down a deposit on a 2014 2SS as ordering is going to open in a couple of weeks, so I want in on the first batch.

Told the sales dude I was working with I wanted to TD an auto and manual to see which one I would prefer to drive.

The auto was fun and easy to drive, got to take it around some curved off/on ramps and really let 'er rip. Permagrin the whole time.

Not so much on the manual. I've driven manual cars before, and they seem to have a lot bigger window of "give" for the clutch than what I was experiencing. 1 out of the 15 times I tried I actually got it off the line, the sales dude pretty much drove for me. :frown: The manual I test drove had a Hurst Short Throw. Would that have had any effect on the clutch? (Kinda retarded when it comes to cars so feel free to laugh, I do the same with people who don't know tech like I do) Would it be a little more friendly with a standard manual tranny or the 1LE?

I would love a manual especially for the dual mode exhaust (oh gawd that burble), but I'd also love to be able to drive the thing confidently.

You're gonna get used to it. I almost stalled too when i was on the dealership.

RSloth 04-12-2013 04:54 AM

i test drove a stock 2ss 2013 manual.
I had problems getting it off the line as well.. to where we were taking off from stops at like 15-20 mph.. hahh. but I just felt like it was something i would get use to. and i would assume the short through affects it cause the gears are closer together. dunno about take offs tho

vermillion12ss 04-12-2013 06:11 AM

I found with my buddies 2012 ss with the 6 speed and hurst short throw,the best way to launch it isn't to mash the gas and dump the clutch. it would almost always fall on its face, but to keep the rpms up a little bit. keep them above 2500 -3000 rpms and not let fall below and slip the clutch a bit and that seemed to help. mine is an auto. but between your two choices I think it would come down to daily commute as far as srop and go driving and fun factor of shifting the power yourself. every car is different as far as clutch feel and I think you would get used to it but either way I think you would enjoy either car.

06_warrior 04-12-2013 06:12 AM

Did you test drive a 2013? When you say you failed to launch it are you talking about stalling the car? If so it could be the Hill Assist they starting putting in the 2013's. If so it could of been engaging and causing you to stall it.

Scott@Bjorn3D 04-12-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedMikeLV (Post 6414179)
Alrighty,

I do not know if this would make a difference or not for you. On my 2013 LS3 if I did not give it gas she would want to bog and stall off the line. I am used to be able to let out on the clutch easily and the car could pull it self some and go. Put in 1LE rear end 2 weeks ago and I can let out the clutch now with now gas and she just pulls on her own. Give her some gas letting it out and she is flying down the road.

So the 1LE with the 3.91 rear end vs the SS with the 3.45 may be more up your alley. I am going to slowly convert my SS to 1LE performance but not have to deal with the hood, and suede shifter and steering wheel which I did not like.

vermillion12ss 04-12-2013 06:18 AM

I test drove a 2013 ss 6 speed and had no problem with it stalling or the hill assist. I just chose this one because of rebates and and I got a good deal because it was the last new 2012 on the lot and didn't care as long as I had a ss

Dupree878 04-12-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 6414559)
I do not know if this would make a difference or not for you. On my 2013 LS3 if I did not give it gas she would want to bog and stall off the line. I am used to be able to let out on the clutch easily and the car could pull it self some and go. Put in 1LE rear end 2 weeks ago and I can let out the clutch now with now gas and she just pulls on her own. Give her some gas letting it out and she is flying down the road.

So the 1LE with the 3.91 rear end vs the SS with the 3.45 may be more up your alley. I am going to slowly convert my SS to 1LE performance but not have to deal with the hood, and suede shifter and steering wheel which I did not like.

But the 1LE trans is geared much higher, so even with 3.91s, the drive ratio is higher than a SS with 3.45s
Common misconception.