Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   BBK 4020/0/5 Shorty headers fitment (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72963)

bbktech2 03-24-2010 04:43 PM

BBK 4020/0/5 Shorty headers fitment

On Monday the 22nd of March, it was brought to our attention that there was a fitment issue with BBK Performance's Shorty headers Part numbers 4020, 40200, 40205.
The issue was bolting the stock mid pipe flanges back up to the flanges on the headers. The preproduction ones I did the test fitting and dyno work with did have clearence to use the stock flange nuts and I used an open end wrench to do the tightening of the nuts. As they went into production, the collector area at the flange grew slightly and the already close tolerance of collector wall to stud hole was compromised. The result was that the stock flanged nuts could no longer be used. In addition, the stock front midpipe stud on the driver side was now hitting the collector due to it's design and inability to be copied from the original design.
We offer our most sincere apologies for this mishap!!! We tried so hard to come up with a nice looking, well performing shorty header for this awesome Camaro.
We do have a fix in the works and have come up with a solution of having bolts supplied in the kits to replace the studs when installing. The bolt size is 10mm x 1.50 x 25mm, if any of you should end up getting a kit without the bolts. If that should happen, please don't hesitate to give me a call and we will ship them out directly to you. I can be reached at 951-266-1771 ext. 312. That's PST as we are located in So Calif. :facepalm:

pnyklr 03-24-2010 11:54 PM

Props to you guys in addressing an issue. Excellent Customer Service IMHO.

Now, can we get a dyno graph, please!

-Funk

flht99b 03-26-2010 01:57 AM

I was the first to alert BBK of the fitment issue. You can read my posts in the " Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons " section for details. As I state in the Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons section, BBK is doing whatever is necessary to ensure I'm a happy customer. Even with this fitment issue I'm satisfied I made the right choice. For a DD, T-304 stainless is the right choice, spark plugs and wires fit and are accessible just like OEM and there is noticeable increase in power. Ed.
Ed.

yota924x4 03-26-2010 09:39 PM

right on guys, it is nice to see the vendor posting in the forums and eager to make everyone happy. now if i only can get around to doing my taxes and getting some coin back i'm going to pick up a set of these in t304.

radz28 03-26-2010 09:45 PM

Are you guys getting CARB numbers for these?

v6sonoma 03-28-2010 11:25 AM

Nice! :D

bbktech2 03-29-2010 09:18 AM

Yes, we will be submitting the shorty headers for CARB exemption. It's a llloooooonnngg drawn out process so I am sorry to say I can't give a date of when the will be Calif legal.

2010SSRSM6 03-29-2010 11:14 PM

Gotta love commiefornia's anti-fun laws.

radz28 03-30-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbktech2 (Post 1649421)
Yes, we will be submitting the shorty headers for CARB exemption. It's a llloooooonnngg drawn out process so I am sorry to say I can't give a date of when the will be Calif legal.

That's good news! So far, I'm liking these shorties the best.

Thanks for the heads-up.

flht99b 04-01-2010 05:14 AM

BBK 4020/0/5 Shorty headers fitment - My Fix

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my cure for the BBK shorty fitment issue. On the right is one of 4 stock m10-1.50-15mm hex head flanged hex nuts that retains the stock mid pipe to the stock cast iron exhaust manifold and or shorty headers. Due to the flange on this nut will not fit with the BBK shorty header, there isn't sufficient clearance between the stud that comes up from the mid pipe through the collector flange, the collector is too big or needed to be dimpled for clearance. Substituting a non-flanged m10-1.50-15mm hex nut ( 15mm socket size ) will fit BUT due to the too close proximity of the points of the 15 mm nut to the collector ( approximately 1mm ), it is a very tedious ordeal to tighten these nuts with very short open end and crow foot wrenches being the only option due to the space constraints under the car and headers. The nut on the left is a stainless steel ( polished to boot ) m10-1.50-12mm 12 point head flanged nut ( 12mm socket size ) I purchased from allensfasteners.com, p/n 400-8345. In SS they are pricey at $3.72/ea but in standard steel they are $2.83/ea. The short 12mm, 12 point combination wrench pictured is a Husky Pro but all tool manufacturers produce a similar short 12mm combination wrench. Had BBK included 4 of these nuts with their headers, gaskets and header bolts I guess this and the thread I started on BBK shorty headers fitment issues would have never been.
Ed M.

radz28 04-01-2010 11:07 AM

There ya' go!!! I won't even get into how many "specialty" tools I bought for my cars, just for exactly the job that I was working on, from headers to clutches, lol. Good job :D