Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Worse audio with an after market head unit (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530340)

SRTLOL 05-30-2018 11:16 PM

Worse audio with an after market head unit

So I installed a song xav100 double din head unit with the PAC kit. I have the Boston acoustic system and after the install it seems like the bass is gone and the audio quality has gone a little down hill. I used butt connectors to make the connections and I'm thinking about reading it. And ideas on where to start? It sounds more gritty and kinda lack luster compared to when I had the stock radio installed.

JimE 09-01-2018 03:52 AM

I've not used any of the aftermarket kits, but wanted to point out that the Camaro speaker system isn't a traditional 4 speaker system. I would assume there is some sort of adapter required to connect a traditional aftermarket HU to the stock amp/speakers.

Sounds like you simply spliced some wires and are missing some of the channels.

Snoman 09-01-2018 06:25 AM

What JimE stated.

You cannot swap a HU in without replacing the amp and speakers, though primarily due to the OEM "dsp". If you attempted to power the OEM speakers from your new HU, we get into connection issues (rears are bi-amped).

Leo72793 09-01-2018 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTLOL (Post 10202994)
So I installed a song xav100 double din head unit with the PAC kit. I have the Boston acoustic system and after the install it seems like the bass is gone and the audio quality has gone a little down hill. I used butt connectors to make the connections and I'm thinking about reading it. And ideas on where to start? It sounds more gritty and kinda lack luster compared to when I had the stock radio installed.

MAke sure you have the plug set to AMPLIFIED system not non amplified. IT will plug into either one. otherwise. replacement time

Cheap Guy 09-01-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoman (Post 10299597)
What JimE stated.

You cannot swap a HU in without replacing the amp and speakers, though primarily due to the OEM "dsp". If you attempted to power the OEM speakers from your new HU, we get into connection issues (rears are bi-amped).

I’m not sure if this is accurate. The PAC kit was pretty much plug and play with the stock amp and speakers. The only issue I had as far as sound quality was to make sure you have it plugged into the PAC module correctly. I actually plugged mine into the NON amplified slot and all is well.

oslouie 09-01-2018 10:46 PM

This issue has been covered. You need to plug a connector into the correct location.

Snoman 09-04-2018 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy (Post 10299808)
I’m not sure if this is accurate. The PAC kit was pretty much plug and play with the stock amp and speakers. The only issue I had as far as sound quality was to make sure you have it plugged into the PAC module correctly. I actually plugged mine into the NON amplified slot and all is well.

for some reason I was thinking non-BA set up

Angie11 09-18-2018 11:57 AM

to the OP. I agree. I did the aftermarket HU with PAC and sound quality and volume were shit...all was installed correctly. I replaced the stock amp with an aftermarket amp and it sounded good again

Low Saturn 09-18-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie11 (Post 10314702)
to the OP. I agree. I did the aftermarket HU with PAC and sound quality and volume were shit...all was installed correctly. I replaced the stock amp with an aftermarket amp and it sounded good again

Where did you have the connector plugged into the PAC module? A lot of people think they have it installed correctly, but don't.

I have the Scosche 2.0 kit, Pioneer head unit, BA system and stock amp. Sounds great.

45thCamaro 11-06-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie11 (Post 10314702)

Hey sorry to bother but what kind of amp did you replace with? I had the idea to do this years ago but never got around to it. I remember there was a small amp that a lot of people used to replace the stock amp due to its size. But damn if I remember what it was.

Black_SS10 11-06-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45thCamaro (Post 10356255)
Hey sorry to bother but what kind of amp did you replace with? I had the idea to do this years ago but never got around to it. I remember there was a small amp that a lot of people used to replace the stock amp due to its size. But damn if I remember what it was.

A popular amp replacment is the JL audio xd400/4v2. Its small and packs a punch. Fits in the stock amp location with the amp board from sub thump(er).