Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chevy Shows Off Next Gen MyLink Infotainment System (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262905)

Tran 11-27-2012 10:24 AM

Chevy Shows Off Next Gen MyLink Infotainment System

9 Attachment(s)
Coinciding with the launch of the 2014 Chevrolet Impala next spring, Chevy will introduce its next-generation MyLink infotainment system [demo video below], which the automaker says has been made easier to use, more customizable and now able to link up to 10 different mobile devices.

MyLink is Chevy’s vehicle interface that allows you to control mobile devices and online services, such as Pandora Internet Radio or Stitcher Radio, through voice commands or touch-screen display. MyLink also integrates OnStar services, including the full suite of safety features as well as premium Directions and Connections services.

The latest version of MyLink incorporates new natural language voice recognition that allows you to control everything with normal speech instead of using memorized phrases. Furthermore, should you want to input instructions with your hands, the touch-screen display has been made easier to read and new buttons have been installed on the center stack and steering wheel.

Also new is the ability to store up to 60 radio stations, contacts, destinations, music and other media. On top of this, the driver’s instrument cluster as well as the touch-screen display can be customized to one of four distinct personalities, depending on who’s behind the wheel: Contemporary, Edge, Velocity and Main Street.

The latest version of MyLink debuts on the 2014 Chevrolet Impala. It will eventually spread to other 2014 Chevy products. No confirmation when/if it will show up in the Camaro.

Note, from early next year, entry-level Chevy models will integrate Apple’s Siri voice activation technology. Through the cars’ standard MyLink system, users with a compatible iPhone running iOS 6 can direct Siri to perform a number of tasks including making and receiving calls and text messages. The first models to feature this will be the Spark and Sonic.

Russell James 11-27-2012 10:40 AM

I'm sure young people that grew up on video games and iphones will love it. But ..... the average Impala or Caddy buyer is how old? I can just see my 75 yr old mother absoluting hating all that and wanting her old car back.

"everyone has a Droid or an iphone"...... really? Survey your parents and grandparents on that one. I doubt - everyone - will be your findings. And many of them are new car buyers. And voice recognition? I will not talk to my car, ever.

FenwickHockey65 11-27-2012 10:43 AM

Your 75 year old mother isn't who GM is trying to target anymore. Just sayin'.

BowlingSS 11-27-2012 10:44 AM

I like it and I am a grandparent.

Bill

colingordon 11-27-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell James (Post 5851125)
I'm sure young people that grew up on video games and iphones will love it. But ..... the average Impala or Caddy buyer is how old? I can just see my 75 yr old mother absoluting hating all that and wanting her old car back.

"everyone has a Droid or an iphone"...... really? Survey your parents and grandparents on that one. I doubt - everyone - will be your findings. And many of them are new car buyers. And voice recognition? I will not talk to my car, ever.

The mainstream majority has a droid or iPhone.... That majority overides the minority enough to make it a standard

eggydoo 11-27-2012 10:55 AM

same complaints occurred when BMW changed to the "knob" compared to the 20 million buttons, but old people will eventually adapt

in other words, that interior looks sick on the impala
Nice job GM!

Russell James 11-27-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 5851135)
Your 75 year old mother isn't who GM is trying to target anymore. Just sayin'.

She just bought a new '12 GM vehicle last month. One of the reasons she picked the '12 over a '13 was the overly complicated radio in the '13.

They obviously aren't targeting her... but she is a new car buyer.

It took me forever to convince and remind her that the snowflake button was the air conditioner. Could you imagine me trying to explain all the different screens and voice recognition? Never going to happen.

I like most of it, just saying there is probably a portion of the market that isn't interested in their car operating like an iphone.

FenwickHockey65 11-27-2012 10:57 AM

And they'll have to adapt. The entire industry is moving in this direction. Either GM moves with it or gets left behind, simple as that.

EvoWake 11-27-2012 11:01 AM

I'm only 25... have an iPhone, and love technology, but watching this video has ME thinking this is too much. But I'm sure just like with anything else, it's something you can quickly become accustomed to. I'm happy with the radio in my 2010 SS!

Russell James 11-27-2012 11:16 AM

This is probably my mother's expectation of an Impala dash. She had a few of these cars in her day.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...Impaladash.jpg

daveagogo1 11-27-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colingordon (Post 5851145)
The mainstream majority has a droid or iPhone.... That majority overides the minority enough to make it a standard

Should support both

daveagogo1 11-27-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell James (Post 5851175)
She just bought a new '12 GM vehicle last month. One of the reasons she picked the '12 over a '13 was the overly complicated radio in the '13.

They obviously aren't targeting her... but she is a new car buyer.

It took me forever to convince and remind her that the snowflake button was the air conditioner. Could you imagine me trying to explain all the different screens and voice recognition? Never going to happen.

I like most of it, just saying there is probably a portion of the market that isn't interested in their car operating like an iphone.

Just make sure it is in fact the AC lol. The snowflake in my old 04' CTS was for traction control :D

vroomapunk 11-27-2012 11:25 AM

the steering wheel is huge and ugly!!

SixCyl 11-27-2012 11:26 AM

I'm 21 and love tech, I built my own desktop and flashed my droid. But I'd rather not have a touch screen panel on my car. Most of us have smart phones, I'm happy with a usb interface to let me control my phone from there, or bluetooth or whatever, I don't really need two smart devices.

BowlingSS 11-27-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell James (Post 5851225)
This is probably my mother's expectation of an Impala dash. She had a few of these cars in her day.

Nice.

Bill

POS Dakota 11-27-2012 11:38 AM

It looks cool. Love the mini display in the gauge cluster.
problem is...it's in an impala, and impalas haven't been col since maybe 71.

It would be nice if they made a retro impala like the camaro instead of the tard bucket it is now.

POS Dakota 11-27-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Well, that being the case, mom is spot-on.

CyberPredator 11-27-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

I'd have to look it up again but the stat was something like 90% of phones are android or IOS

Brandon_Lutz 11-27-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vroomapunk (Post 5851256)
the steering wheel is huge and ugly!!

I hate literally everything about the new Impala. It has an identity crisis on the exterior and the interior looks to be straight out of the 90's styling wise.

Sure the fit and materials are fantastic, but IMO it looks cheesy and outdated. Regarding the steering wheel, I was told on another GM forum that it was inspired by a particular Mercedes Benz steering wheel, which is proof that not everything MB comes up with should be emulated.

The new version of MyLink in this particular model makes the interior look even worse IMO.

:barf:

Jonster 11-27-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SixCyl (Post 5851261)
I'm 21 and love tech, I built my own desktop and flashed my droid. But I'd rather not have a touch screen panel on my car. Most of us have smart phones, I'm happy with a usb interface to let me control my phone from there, or bluetooth or whatever, I don't really need two smart devices.

I am 23 and I completely agree. One device is enough.

thepirate 11-27-2012 01:19 PM

anyone have an idea if this is new software, or a whole new system. in other words, for those who have the current mylink system, will we be able to upload the new mylink software, or will it not be compatible?

velocity149 11-27-2012 01:34 PM

i'm only 18, and personally I think that they should take a closer look at what cars they put this into. Cruze, Sonic, spark, ok. Impala, Malibu, Camaro, No. Camaro drivers (i'm assuming) are buying a Camaro, because it is a modern look on an old, prestiged design basis, and for the plain power in the camaro name. I stayed away from the 2013 because of MyLink. I would rather a foot-pedal-carbeurator v8, but you can't buy one of those anymore. Definately think that they should offer the MyLink as an option, and still keep the "oldschool" concepts as standard. (sounds funny coming from a kid)

Looks pretty nice tho...

Russell James 11-27-2012 01:49 PM

Bring back the Wonderbar!

solo40oz 11-27-2012 01:54 PM

that steering wheel looks old school

_Nick_ 11-27-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Ahhh, the days when real cars were made.

My Caroline 11-27-2012 01:59 PM

I like it, but certain things bother me about it. I personally think Chevy needs to do what Ford did... Leave the software design to software designers! Sync is one of the best systems that I have had the chance to use. It seems nit-picky and such, but the lag that happens between commands and them actually occuring is rediculous. That is not something needed while driving. Time is warped when you're traveling 70 MPH. People need to be able to click and icon and it instantly open (think apple product).

ps2ren 11-27-2012 02:06 PM

Google nav...... car companies please stop trying to reinvent the wheel, even apple can't beat google at its own game

RichieSSZ28 11-27-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by velocity149 (Post 5851848)
i'm only 18, and personally I think that they should take a closer look at what cars they put this into. Cruze, Sonic, spark, ok. Impala, Malibu, Camaro, No. Camaro drivers (i'm assuming) are buying a Camaro, because it is a modern look on an old, prestiged design basis, and for the plain power in the camaro name. I stayed away from the 2013 because of MyLink. I would rather a foot-pedal-carbeurator v8, but you can't buy one of those anymore. Definately think that they should offer the MyLink as an option, and still keep the "oldschool" concepts as standard. (sounds funny coming from a kid)

Looks pretty nice tho...

I agree man. Most of these cars are not a daily driver. I love Iphone, Ipad and everything Apple can come up with but in a muscle car I want power and not all the technology. If anything add more to the sound system with a BOSE system. Keep the My link and added option which a daily driver I can see would love most of this. But in this type of car it's difficult to manage all that. Especially in a standard. Keep it simple and enjoy the wknds. That's what I use mine for. I'm 32 and have had my car almost 3 yrs with 17K miles. I play Red Hot Chilli Peppers when I ride out!! LOL!

Austin45 11-27-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 5851180)
And they'll have to adapt. The entire industry is moving in this direction. Either GM moves with it or gets left behind, simple as that.

:word:

Keep moving forward or get left behind. Progression is good.

My Caroline 11-27-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieSSZ28 (Post 5851985)
Most of these cars are not a daily driver. Keep the My link and added option which a daily driver I can see would love most of this.

Most of these cars are definitely daily drivers. The availability huristic tells you that most aren't.

9,168 camaros were produced in October.
The site has 70,211 members, not all of which own a camaro or remain active.

Fact is, this car isn't just serving those in a midlife crisis, the hot roders from 45 years ago, or enthusists. This is a high production car, that many bought because it had two doors, sounded good, and looked cool. I LOVE technology, and I would love a camaro with GOOD technology, but mylink is just ok. Sync is good technology.

2ss-booya 11-27-2012 02:42 PM

I feel like GM is developing their own "Wheelgate" scenario...first people are unhappy with the steering wheel with the camaro (maybe with other cars too)...and now the impala lol.

On a side note...why on earth would the mylink need to store at least 10 phones in memory?....seems overkill to me..along with 60 radio stations lol

My Caroline 11-27-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ss-booya (Post 5852098)
I feel like GM is developing their own "Wheelgate" scenario...first people are unhappy with the steering wheel with the camaro (maybe with other cars too)...and now the impala lol.

On a side note...why on earth would the mylink need to store at least 10 phones in memory?....seems overkill to me..along with 60 radio stations lol

Well personally I think 10 is fine. We have 4 drivers in the house, and 5 cell phones between us. Before we get rid of any of our cars we will have a 5th driver and 6th cell. It may be over kill, but at least they are trying to get people to go hands free. The 60 radio stations is crazy though lol 36 in the camaro is overkill.

Black N' Yellow 11-27-2012 03:50 PM

That steering wheel is hideous. I think the mylink screen look great though, and I'm really glad that there is integration with SIRI. In order to sell more cars I think they need to become more technologically advanced, which can be difficult because of how long it takes to develop a car compared to how fast technology advances.

AdamZ 11-27-2012 03:52 PM

Just in time to not put in a 5th gen lol

Black N' Yellow 11-27-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ps2ren (Post 5851959)
Google nav...... car companies please stop trying to reinvent the wheel, even apple can't beat google at its own game

I completely agree. I think Chevy needs to let Google or Microsoft, or Apple take over the nav and software portion. Think of how many people would buy a chevy from that type of branding.

IBM 11-27-2012 04:01 PM

Aren't we trying to decrease the amount of accidents that happen on a daily basis? I used to be all for this, but looking back, while driving it has to be so annoying to use. Having to look down for which touchscreen button to use does not seem logical, use real buttons. This is, in my opinion, worse than texting in driving, because while you're texting you at least have your phone up (hopefully) so you can see the road in you peripheral vision. This just seems dumb and unnecessary. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: I'd like to meet the idiot that first came up with the idea of systems like this in cars.
"Oh yeah, I need to check the weather right away while I'm on my way to Target!" -- said no one, ever.

ps2ren 11-27-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black N' Yellow (Post 5852413)
I completely agree. I think Chevy needs to let Google or Microsoft, or Apple take over the nav and software portion. Think of how many people would buy a chevy from that type of branding.

only Google maps, please no apple...... the iphone5 fall flat on its face because of the sad excuse for a navigation......
All German big 3s are adding google nav as an option for their new cars now, and they had a heavy bias toward apple before

aquablueL99 11-27-2012 04:10 PM

Finally catching up to Ford on this one...

tramtwo 11-27-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepirate (Post 5851774)
anyone have an idea if this is new software, or a whole new system. in other words, for those who have the current mylink system, will we be able to upload the new mylink software, or will it not be compatible?

Great question.

:popcorn:

FINALLYSATISFIED 11-27-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Mine do actually. iPhones believe it or not. Grands and parents.