Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The proving grounds, where dreams are made (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3589)

Fandango 04-07-2008 12:06 AM

MORE I WANT MORE!!!

Is it really small? I saw the concept in real life. I didn't find it that small. The production car was only going to be like 1 inch smaller.

Was it what you expected, was it more? Anyway, more detail.

You kissed, now Tell!!

Supermans 04-07-2008 01:19 AM

All this small talk has me a bit worried. The Bumblebee Saleen GTO which is the same size as the original concept is not small by any means. Is it smaller than a 98 Ford Mustang??? Is the front seat lower to compensate where you can't see the hood at all while driving as in the 4th gen camaro? If you are over 6 feet, how much head room from the top of your head to the roof can we expect? As for all you lucky forum members that got to be there, I envy all of you. I know all of these answers will be solved once they hit showroom's, however it would be nice to know sooner so I can make my decision between the Camaro and the new Challenger. From reading the specs of both car's, the Camaro is supposed to be wider than the Challenger... Is this true?

bouncertime 04-07-2008 01:32 AM

Remember, non of us has seen the Concept in person and I know that the pre-production car was smaller than I expected, but it is not tiny by any means. It is definetly bigger than a Mustang.

Supermans 04-07-2008 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bouncertime (Post 59982)
Remember, non of us has seen the Concept in person and I know that the pre-production car was smaller than I expected, but it is not tiny by any means. It is definetly bigger than a Mustang.

That's good to hear. I'm glad you guys had fun while you were there and did actually see the camaro. I wish they had let you take photographs of the event considering we already have photo's of the car's you saw. The most interesting comment was the one about the GT500 which means we should be seeing a 500HP Camaro or better in the works?

TAG UR IT 04-07-2008 02:14 AM

diarmadhi, thank you for that very detailed write up!!! You are to be commended, sir!

Punchy, I can't even begin to thank you enough for putting forth this effort and taking these folks out for the tour. I mean really....that was very kind of you.:clap:

I could only imagine the great memories that were made today...vette ride doing 360's and drifting?? Dang! But, getting to see 3 black prepros out there!?! Now...why do ya'll think there was one completely covered up.....;) I'm guessing V6, V8, V8 SC...one for each black prepro. And...someone mentioned supercharger??? huh??? what have I been saying?!?!?!:bonk: Something that really makes me happy is that Bluetooth... I could use that all the time.:happyanim: Ah....and that's what the thing was on the dash!!! A speaker! Cool deal....sounds like we are going to have some 5.1 surround sound in this bad boy.:happyanim: :happyanim: Did you see a label w/ type of speaker?

Guys, you all are so lucky...living out there and getting to take part in something as cool as this. And, as much as I'd like to see pix, thanks for being honest and respectful to Punchy. Congratulations, guys. :clap: And, it really is that much better in person!:thumbsup:

GTAHVIT 04-07-2008 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno (Post 59925)
Lucky bast*rds!

one word.. SUPERCHARGER!!

+1 !!!!!!!

GTAHVIT 04-07-2008 07:48 AM

I wasn't even there and I feel relieved. Total breath of fresh air.

Thanks Punchy and Diarmadhi

SSNIGHTMARE 04-07-2008 08:55 AM

OMG super charger and the gt500 as a bench mark, someone is going to have to wipe off my keyboard

radz28 04-07-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno (Post 59925)
Lucky bast*rds!

one word.. SUPERCHARGER!!

They had me at GT500 for a benchmark! :D

You guys are super lucky and Punchy is quite a generous person to allow the tour and peak.

Way to go!!!

Punchy 04-07-2008 10:16 AM

Once again I'm glad you guys enjoyed yourselves, UNFORTUNATELY I'm not going to be able to give anymore tours at this time.

I don't expect the guys that came here to not report what you've seen as I would do the same if I were in your shoes. I completely understand. There's just too much to try to keep under wraps at the grounds and I've created stress for some great employees there and it was the last thing I ever wanted to do.

So again I apologize but no more tours. :(

AZCamaroFan 04-07-2008 10:27 AM

wow, since i live out here in Phoenix, and my best friend lived down the street from the proving grounds, i sure would have liked to be there.

mprhead5 04-07-2008 11:02 AM

nice to have assurance on the supercharger. that model will sure to be marked up 10k for a year and low production. even if they make it large production I can't see it stickering for under 38k. seems like you didn't get too many answers out of em but I bet it was kick ass just getting to see em up close. If I recall the gt500 dosn't do all that well when it comes to dyno runs and track handling. so says top gear but clarkson is bias against american cars

Mythic 04-07-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

How much does it weigh? - Unspecific answer, more than a '69.
Does it weigh under 4k lbs? - Yes.
The 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Specifications
Wheelbase, inches: 108.1
Weight, lbs: 3,765

so we can expect wieght to be in the 3800-3900 range

The_Stache 04-07-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythic (Post 60034)
The 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Specifications
Wheelbase, inches: 108.1
Weight, lbs: 3,765

so we can expect wieght to be in the 3800-3900 range

But the base curb weight (non z28) was 3199 if i recall correctly. He didn't specify.