Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   My First Hot Rod (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42255)

Stay Marine 05-31-2011 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darin Morgan (Post 3202954)
My cam chioce depends on what you want and or need. There are hundreds of lobe designs to choose from. RPM range, converter stall, how much power you want and even your driving style need to be considered. All these variables and others will dictate your cam. I never just pull one off the top of my head and say," this one works best" because you cant do that. What works best in one situation will not be the best choice for everyone. I have written a great many articles on this topic a it pertains to cylinder heads and intake manifolds. This is why I spend a great deal of time with my racing customers on the phone talking to them about there engine combination, there car, and more importantly, the engines intended use. Only after I have talked to someone at length do I ever give a hard recommendation as to what it will take to reach there goals.:D

Darin,
What a great response. Wish I could have that conversation on the phone, but over here in Afghanistan, I won't be the lucky. Totally understand and appreciate your approach.
My LS3 is, and will continue to be, a daily driver. I have no interest in building a track-only car. While I am interested in some auto-x, I doubt I would do it more than a couple times a year. More likely, I will run quarter miles. I am pretty reserved around town to spare the MPG and the tires. With the immediate torque down low from the Maggies, I was wondering if cam choice can extend some of that power into the upper RPM range. I don't believe there will be an 'ideal' cam set up for me, as I plan to hit various ranges/venues. I just want to ensure I have a balanced cam that is set up for a blower, and hopefully can take advantage of the increased head flow, while giving me some lope at idle, but not bouncing me around town. And I don't want to go crazy on the HP at this point, and have to go to forged internals (not yet, anyway).
Whats the best way to find some of your writings? Most automotive sites are blocked by the military filters out here (ironically, not camaro5).
Thanks again for the feedback.

Semper Fi,
Stu

2011WhiteSS 06-17-2011 01:59 PM

Darin Morgan

Darin, glad to hear you are back where you wanted to be in TX. Left the great Ohio weather. Lol
I meet you at Profiler a few years back and brought in a 6cyl 5.9L Cummins diesel head and a bolt-on intake and a SS tubular header that Greg Young in TX made for me. Never got around to finishing it up and just sat after my father dying and it was our project and then my newborn being born with only a 1/2 of a heart and under going a few heart reconstructions and ultimately a new heart in April of this year. But through the grace and mercy of God and prayer from all over the United States Brycen is doing unbelievably well.

I picked up my 2SS Camaro after he came home from transplant and hope to enjoy it with him as I did growing up at the track racing with my father.

I would love to send you my LS3 heads and have the Morgan Special applied to them and if you was still up to it with some extra time maybe I could send that Cummins diesel head to finially get finished from you.

Thanks
Ben

Darin Morgan 07-29-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011WhiteSS (Post 3351831)
Darin, glad to hear you are back where you wanted to be in TX. Left the great Ohio weather. Lol
I meet you at Profiler a few years back and brought in a 6cyl 5.9L Cummins diesel head and a bolt-on intake and a SS tubular header that Greg Young in TX made for me. Never got around to finishing it up and just sat after my father dying and it was our project and then my newborn being born with only a 1/2 of a heart and under going a few heart reconstructions and ultimately a new heart in April of this year. But through the grace and mercy of God and prayer from all over the United States Brycen is doing unbelievably well.

I picked up my 2SS Camaro after he came home from transplant and hope to enjoy it with him as I did growing up at the track racing with my father.

I would love to send you my LS3 heads and have the Morgan Special applied to them and if you was still up to it with some extra time maybe I could send that Cummins diesel head to finially get finished from you.

Thanks
Ben

I can still do the Diesel heads for you. I have the same seat guide machine here as I did at Profiler. Its big enough to fit an inline eight cylinder in it so it will do your as well. I would love to do a set of LS3 heads for you. Now that I have this CNC machine I can do them for less. It only costs $675.00 to completely CNC port, valve job and blend a set of heads. Thats a cheap 30hp no matter how you look at it! Here is the sight

http://www.rehermorrison.com/rmSale3.htm

Darin Morgan 08-02-2011 07:37 PM

Update

Mike Furmusa at New Era performance has found something really awesome on the automatic L99 Camaro's and I have to tell everyone! Like mine, he converted his L99 into an LS3/99 engine by replacing the L99 lifters with LS3 lifters thereby eliminating the weak link in the valve train. What he has now done is keep the camshaft phaser active but in a way no one else has been able to. The cam can be 9+ degrees advanced in the lower rpm range and then retard all the way to 2 degrees retarded by 7000rpm. Everyone else just puts a limiter in the phaser and runs it that way. He has figured out how to move the cam relative to rpm so the pumping efficiency is boosted over the entire RPM range! Even with a big cam our cars loose NO TQ down low at 2000rpm compared to stock. What he has done was worth 40hp! Its unbelievable how awesome my car performs now. Before this was done to my car, the cam phaser was locked out "kinda:cool:" and the engine would pull all the way to 6000rpm and then kind of hold power and start nosing pretty good after 6500rpm. Now it pulls all the way to 7000rpm and higher. 490hp at the rear wheels with a stock short block automatic.:thumbup: Anyone with an L99 should call him.

1322 Buffalo Road
Rochester, NY 14624-1825
(585) 865-1832

If he is to far from you, I can do it here at Reher Morrison Racing

Sawyer 09-29-2011 08:10 AM

Impressed with your work. how do you like the New Era CAI?

Darin Morgan 09-29-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 3817800)
Impressed with your work. how do you like the New Era CAI?

I like it a lot. I have had no problems with it what so ever.

tsears 09-29-2011 10:41 AM

Darrin, I really like what you are doing here with your L99. I've got some things added to mine and wanted to talk to you about what I currently have and how I can make it better. I like what you are doing with the heads and cam phaser. In my haste for more power I think I may have not looked at some things to make sure they went well with each other.

Darin Morgan 09-29-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsears (Post 3818505)
Darrin, I really like what you are doing here with your L99. I've got some things added to mine and wanted to talk to you about what I currently have and how I can make it better. I like what you are doing with the heads and cam phaser. In my haste for more power I think I may have not looked at some things to make sure they went well with each other.

Call me on my cell, we will talk.

hoffmk2003 10-27-2011 02:36 PM

Darin, send you an email......would like some help from you over the winter if you are still interested....trying to get into the high 11s next year without internal mods.....

Ken

Darin Morgan 10-27-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmk2003 (Post 3936383)
Darin, send you an email......would like some help from you over the winter if you are still interested....trying to get into the high 11s next year without internal mods.....

Ken

No problem. Cam, my new CNC ported heads and a tune, your there plus some!

Darin Morgan 12-07-2011 04:57 PM

Finally done

Well, after a year all the R&D is done! I now have the cam packages and CNC programs finished.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/rmSale3.htm

CNC LS3/LS7 Cylinder Heads
Reher Morrison has taken our 39 years of induction system design experience and developed LS3-LS7 heads that out perform the rest. We don’t believe in a “one size fits all” CNC cylinder head. Reher Morrison has developed different port designs tailored to specific engine combinations to give you more power through out the usable RPM range. We have LS3 intake ports ranging in size from 263cc to 280cc not to mention a wide variety of LS7 ports as well. Just because it says “CNC” does not mean it will perform at the highest level and the GM LS7 heads are a prime example. GMs LS7 heads are already CNC'd from the factory, yet after they have been CNC'd with the Reher Morrison ports the heads pick up 40-50hp! Don’t get stuck with an under performing cylinder head. Reher Morrison has also developed packages to complement your CNC'd cylinder heads. These packages produce 50hp to 100hp gains in the LS3 engines and 80 to 150hp in the LS7 engines. All our cylinder heads are “purpose built” to assure you reliability, proper valve train stability and maximum performance. Call Reher Morrison and get the right cylinder head for your LS engine!
Features:
• Purpose built to your needs (Not an off the shelf cylinder head)
• Raised port roof for better intake manifold alignment with milled heads
• Different port sizing to fit your specific engine combination
• Port designs that make top end power without sacrificing bottom end torque
• Each head is professionally hand blended to assure proper valve seat dimensions
• LS3 heads 25-35 Hp increases
• LS7 heads 45-50 Hp increases
• Raised port roof for better intake manifold alignment with milled heads

EFI calibration on GM vehicles using HP Tuners software

© Copyright 2010 Reher-Morrison

speedster 12-07-2011 07:49 PM

Great timing Darin.

I was just going to ask you what you thought were the highest flowing ports for a LS3 configuration 6-bolt head. Can you PM me the flow figures or is there a link that has them ?

Thanks. :)