Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   All you stalled A6 guys! Please post your input!!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87446)

Wacker 07-07-2010 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro1 (Post 2066874)
does circle D recommend WOT lock up??

i talked with the guys at yank when i got my converter and they said to never run there converter with wot tcc apply. they would not recommend that to anyone.

Yes...It is guaranteed to 1000HP. That is one of the reasons I went with them. Once the tuning issue is figured out us A6 guys will be golden.

thesubfloor 07-07-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wacker (Post 2067249)
Yes...It is guaranteed to 1000HP. That is one of the reasons I went with them. Once the tuning issue is figured out us A6 guys will be golden.

What tuning issue are you referring to?

As for locking up the converter under WOT, it really isn't a good idea because what you've got in there is a clutch disk with only a fraction of the surface material of a manual trans clutch AND it's immersed in very slippery transmission fluid.

If the converter is efficient enough there really is no need to lock it up under WOT as I've been running killer times in my Corvette for the last three years with a Yank SS3600.

thesubfloor 07-07-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk (Post 2067323)
Do you tune your own car? Im running the ss3600 in my camaro and I am always curious to see how other people are running similar parts.

Yeah, I've been doing both the installs and tuning on my car for a little under 3 years now and have built several others for various friends. If you do a search on Youtube for "thesubfloor" the video for my 9.950 pass (all motor) is posted there.

Sadly though I had to sell my soul to the devil when I bought the Camaro as I had to promise the wife I wouldn't mod it. :-(

thesubfloor 07-07-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk (Post 2067355)
LOL, any chance you would share your a6 tune from your vette?

Sure, just send an e-mail to syclone98@hotmail.com and I'll reply with the tune attached.

Also, as an A6 guy here's something you might want to check out:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-tech-performance/2624720-looking-to-upgrade-your-a6-transmission-well-the-wait-might-finally-be-over-new-post.html

I'm gonna start a similar post on this forum but in a nutshell I'm running a built 6L80 from Century Transmission (near Houston) using the newly developed Alto clutches and we're purposely gonna beat on it at the track as much as possible over the next three months to see how it holds up as I've gone through 6 transmissions in the 3 years I've owned the car.

Wacker 07-07-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesubfloor (Post 2067287)
What tuning issue are you referring to?

As for locking up the converter under WOT, it really isn't a good idea because what you've got in there is a clutch disk with only a fraction of the surface material of a manual trans clutch AND it's immersed in very slippery transmission fluid.

If the converter is efficient enough there really is no need to lock it up under WOT as I've been running killer times in my Corvette for the last three years with a Yank SS3600.

The Camaro 6L80E is not set up to run an aftermarket converter. The clutch packs used are not designed to slip like stock therefore they burn up. The code in the tranny demands slip at various areas and applies a regulated (not full) line pressure to achieve a desired slip rate. There is allot of tuning involved in getting the thing streetable. As for WOT lockup, some converters are designed just for this. The stock is designed for it as well as Circle D, Pro Torque, and a few others. The clutch capacity in a performance converter far exceeds that of a stocker. It is merely a product of how much psi do I need to lock up. The converter is just like the clutches in the tranny, they will always have some slip during engagement but hold all day if they are built/tuned correctly.

thesubfloor 07-07-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wacker (Post 2067540)
The Camaro 6L80E is not set up to run an aftermarket converter. The clutch packs used are not designed to slip like stock therefore they burn up. The code in the tranny demands slip at various areas and applies a regulated (not full) line pressure to achieve a desired slip rate. There is allot of tuning involved in getting the thing streetable. As for WOT lockup, some converters are designed just for this. The stock is designed for it as well as Circle D, Pro Torque, and a few others. The clutch capacity in a performance converter far exceeds that of a stocker. It is merely a product of how much psi do I need to lock up. The converter is just like the clutches in the tranny, they will always have some slip during engagement but hold all day if they are built/tuned correctly.

Well I'm running pretty much the same 6L80 in my Corvette and the aftermarket converter in there works just fine. The thing that doesn't work very well however is the stock clutch packs which is why I'm currently testing out the new Alto clutches.

radz28 07-07-2010 10:48 AM

Thanks everyone for your input!!! Keep it coming :D:bow::respekt:

thesubfloor 07-07-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz28 (Post 2067648)
Thanks everyone for your input!!! Keep it coming :D:bow::respekt:

I work in Sacramento in case you ever wanted to see what a 3600 stall feels like.

Wacker 07-07-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesubfloor (Post 2067563)
Well I'm running pretty much the same 6L80 in my Corvette and the aftermarket converter in there works just fine. The thing that doesn't work very well however is the stock clutch packs which is why I'm currently testing out the new Alto clutches.

What year vette do you have so I can look at the stock tune file?

thesubfloor 07-07-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wacker (Post 2067668)
What year vette do you have so I can look at the stock tune file?

It's a 2007 but I'm not running anything close to a stock tune anymore.

Wacker 07-07-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesubfloor (Post 2067677)
It's a 2007 but I'm not running anything close to a stock tune anymore.

Did you do any tuning in the lockup tables?

radz28 07-07-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesubfloor (Post 2067667)
I work in Sacramento in case you ever wanted to see what a 3600 stall feels like.

NO SH*T?! Do you work for the State or something, lol? (Sorry - I do, lol). Anyways, I ran a 3800 stall in my '02, but I know I'd definately be interested in seeing your ride :D Actually - that's stupid; YES - I'd be interested. I'm sure your 3600 and 6L80 is WAY different than my 3800 and 4L60, lol. YES - I'm down :headbang::headbang::headbang: