Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   OK, Guess it's time for my "I ran a GTO" thread... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313296)

Jonzmaro 08-16-2013 05:48 AM

OK, Guess it's time for my "I ran a GTO" thread...

I recently read a poster's account on running a late model GTO, and putting up a respectable fight. I can attest.
On my early morning commute, I occasionally see a light blue/silver GTO cross an intersection I am usually sitting across from, waiting to turn. You can't miss this car, he drives it hard off the light every time, and it is loud as all get out. At this hour of the morning, saying it stands out....is an understatement. lol (Yes, I often see the same folks on my 5:15am NOVA commute to DC.....we are a very sad, tired, timely bunch).

Today, instead of seeing him cross over the intersection while I sat in the left turn lane...he ended up right beside me at a light. I do not know what year/motor, but it is for sure a stick, and the exhaust he has is loud as hell. I mean,....very loud.

We pulled off from the light, and as I expected, he gunned it. I did not gun it, rather just squeezed fed more throttle, and I had already shifted to second. (darn!) Note: I do not condone street racing, I am not a kid, and this is not a fairy tale twisted to suit the poster. It happened, exactly as I am relating it.

I took it it through 2nd to @6,200, through 3rd.....then laid off, rolled it into 4th, not sure what my speed was, likely around 85-90. Sounds like he did the same, and he was NOT holding back. His car was so loud there was no mistaking where he was in regards to rpm's. It was screaming. He ended up just at my nose, not even one full car length in front of me. Yep, 100% true, no driver error, no fairy dust!! It was still dark, so I wonder if he thought I had an SS. The guy turned into the FBI headquarters where he undoubtedly works,...I wonder if he finally noticed as I hummed quietly by.......that he had just been racing a 6 banger......lol !!! :)

For those who feel they just have to jump in and school me that I must be on crack,.....no 6 could ever do this, the guy must have had a broken leg, the car was running on 7 plugs,...yada, yada, please. It happened, on a 62 degree morning, on a straight road, my car is BONE STOCK, has 87 in the tank, and only has 1,100 miles the motor. Could his car be a pig? Yes. Could he be a crappy driver? I guess, though he certainly did not miss a shift. I feel very strongly if we had gone from a dig, I would have done even better. It sucks that he had the jump on me. The LFX....is indeed, under-appreciated. I was proud of my car. :respekt:

12WhiteLS 08-16-2013 09:04 AM

Wow, great story! I had a similar experience with a Challenger R/T. Once again, not "street racing" just shifting agressively. His was most likely an Auto but as we accelerated he was definately flooring it and I held right next to him the whole time.

I have to agree with you that the LFX is under appreciated. I think that the M6 cars in particular are stronger than most people think. I only dream of a 3.73 or 3.91 swap!! :nod:

bballr4567 08-16-2013 09:09 AM

Interesting. My car is extremely loud past 3k whether Im using 50% throttle or 100%.

Jonzmaro 08-16-2013 09:14 AM

White,

Same. I think with steeper gears the car would be truly surprising. I re-read my post....it does come off as V6-comp-cocky, but hey....not a day goes by around this forum where I don't read, in reference to any/all V6's:

"not a real engine"

"when I drive the V6, feels like an Aveo"

"after driving the SS, the V6 feels like the e-brake is on"

...yada, yada. I say phooey. I have owned over 20 V8 pony cars. This power plant is righteous! It will never trounce an SS, but the way the V6's are treated pisses me off. It ain't 1991. In reality, the LFX is more sophisticated, and puts out more power/ sq inch than the LS. 87 octane, great mileage, decent power, great response, usable torque curve, lighter weight......what's not to dig? Ask the guy in the GTO.....he sure made a ton of racket.....I'll give him that! ;)

Jonzmaro 08-16-2013 09:17 AM

BBall,

No pun intended, the guy was running balls-out. I know what 6K sounds like. This was full throttle loud. What I suspect is the car has whatever is the tallest gear offered. Can't say. What I can say, is if I got to launch the way I know how......that car would have been a door......for real.

2010SLVRBULIT 08-16-2013 09:35 AM

nice giving that driver 'a wake up call':headbang:. The V6 is way under-appreciated, imo, and desreves more:respekt:

JohnnyBfromPeoria 08-16-2013 10:01 AM

Late model GTO's came with the 5.7l at first, then the 6.0l. The last two years were rated at 400 hp. Just an FYI.

John B.

bballr4567 08-16-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonzmaro (Post 6904649)
BBall,

No pun intended, the guy was running balls-out. I know what 6K sounds like. This was full throttle loud. What I suspect is the car has whatever is the tallest gear offered. Can't say. What I can say, is if I got to launch the way I know how......that car would have been a door......for real.

They only had one rear end gear offered: 3:46.

Like others have said, it was likely a 2004. Just not seeing it happen with an 05-06 GTO but maybe a 04. Even then, its hard to think he was going full bore if he had an exhaust on it. They generally put down about 320-340 with a full exhaust and in a lighter car as well.

Buschman 08-16-2013 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Similar thing happened to me yesterday. My Uncle (Ford Guy) came up to visit. I was excited to show him my new toy, and talk cars while drinking loads of beer. We walked around the car, talked about what I have put into it so far, and talked about what I am still planning on doing. Then i opened the hood and he started chuckling, only a V6?!?! I explained why I only wanted the V6, he finished the conversation with "well at least it looks good". So I said lets go for a ride, he jumped into his V8 Mustang and we took a ride to a nice flat, country road with perfect 1/2 mile land marks. I also am too old to condone street racing, but had to make a point. We lined them up and I took him by at least 2 car lengths. The rest of the night included lots of beer, and great conversations. But he refused to talk about cars!
Sorry for the thread jack, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents!

12WhiteLS 08-16-2013 11:26 AM

That's a V6 Mustang. Unless he swapped front bumpers...........

Jonzmaro 08-16-2013 11:58 AM

"They only had one rear end gear offered: 3:46.

Like others have said, it was likely a 2004. Just not seeing it happen with an 05-06 GTO but maybe a 04. Even then, its hard to think he was going full bore if he had an exhaust on it. They generally put down about 320-340 with a full exhaust and in a lighter car as well."

Guys, I agree 110%. Believe me, I know full well it is very likely the smaller motored 2004.I am not touting my LFX to be some freak car, no way. There are things most of my V8 cars did, that I do find somewhat lacking.....torque comes to mind.....however, when the car is trounced, and trounced hard, IOW, driven like ya stole it......it skidaddles!!! I think on a good day, there is a 14.2-14.5 in my car, easily achieved, as it sits. CAI, some drag radials, tank of 93 for good measure....who knows. I ran consistent 14.0-14.2 with my 97 Z28, LT1. It is pretty cool that a measly 219 C.I. engine is putting out 323 hp, on regular.....and is a stout, reliable build. I kinda dig being the smaller dog for a change. :) PS Bushman, your car is drop dead gorgeous!!!!

JohnnyBfromPeoria 08-16-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buschman (Post 6904882)
I was excited to show him my new toy, and talk cars while drinking loads of beer...........So I said lets go for a ride, he jumped into his V8 Mustang and we took a ride to a nice flat, country road with perfect 1/2 mile land marks. I also am too old to condone street racing, but had to make a point. We lined them up and I took him by at least 2 car lengths.

What's wrong with the above statement?

John B.

slotwheels 08-16-2013 03:29 PM

Hey. Even if it was the 2004 GTO with the smaller v8, that was still a good run with the V6. :thumbup:

Buschman 08-16-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12WhiteLS (Post 6905109)
That's a V6 Mustang. Unless he swapped front bumpers...........

Yes, he was in an accident with it and replaced it. I was wondering if anyone would comment on that.