Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Wanted: How To disable auto dim side mirror (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52129)

2SSRS-CGM 11-14-2009 12:09 PM

Wanted: How To disable auto dim side mirror

I got my tent done, and at night the auto dimming drivers side mirror kicks my @$$.

CamaroSkooter 11-14-2009 03:14 PM

I suppose you meant tint...

I know the auto-dimming feature is based off a photo-electric cell that's inside the rearview mirror. Other than the placing a piece of electrical tape over that sensor, I'm not sure what electronic options there are to "disabling" the auto-dimming feature...

zebra 11-14-2009 03:16 PM

i reckon you could unplug the lead to that sensor behind the glass, but that might be incorporated into the movement control, so nevermind...

2SSRS-CGM 11-15-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter (Post 1173088)
I suppose you meant tint...

I know the auto-dimming feature is based off a photo-electric cell that's inside the rearview mirror. Other than the placing a piece of electrical tape over that sensor, I'm not sure what electronic options there are to "disabling" the auto-dimming feature...

Wow... Yes TINT*... Haven't had a problem with tent since yesterday morning!

Not the rearview mirror, the driver's side mirror...

aldaran 11-15-2009 09:22 AM

I thought the rear view and driver's side auto dimming mirrors work together. At least that's the way they work in my Silverado. From 2010 Camaro Owner's Manual:

Automatic Dimming
Rearview Mirror
Vehicles with an automatic dimming
inside rearview mirror reduces
the glare from the headlamps of the
vehicle behind you. The dimming
feature comes on and the indicator
light illuminates each time the
vehicle is started.
Vehicles with OnStar have three
additional control buttons located
at the bottom of the mirror. See your
dealer/retailer for more information
on the system and how to
subscribe to OnStar. See OnStar®
System on page 4-42 for more
information about the services
OnStar provides.
O (On/Off): Press to turn the
dimming feature and/or compass
display on or off.

There isn't a way to permanently disable it. So what exactly is it doing at night? Is it dimming or not?

2SSRS-CGM 11-15-2009 11:57 AM

It dimms and is too dark at night...

HTWLSS 11-15-2009 12:43 PM

Check your manual for a way to change the auto dimming features via the radio config.

JDBeck23 11-15-2009 03:22 PM

Here's what I did, I cut a piece of electrical tape the size of the sensor at the bottom of the rear view mirror. You can cover the sensor any way you see fit. A couple layers of clear scotch tape would probably do the trick too.

You can test it out by just covering the sensor with your finger.. and wallllah! The mirrors lighten back up.

I too have tinted windows, but when they mirrors tint, it makes it really really hard to see. Hope that helped!

racer50200 11-15-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTWLSS (Post 1175608)
Check your manual for a way to change the auto dimming features via the radio config.

I am in the same boat since getting tint. I'll have to check my manual to see how that works. Has anyone else tried the radio configure method??

aldaran 11-16-2009 08:07 PM

Wow. I didn't know that you can change the configuration through the radio. As stated before, the owner's manual says it can be turned off/on, but does not mention any adjustments.

Mark-HD 01-31-2010 06:26 PM

Ok guys, I too have a tough time with the driver's side mirror at night because of the window tint. There has to be a way to disconnect the wire to just that mirror. Anyone?
And no I don't want to use tape.

racer50200 02-06-2010 05:53 AM

Has anyone figured this out yet?? :iono:

68 Z/28 02-06-2010 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS-CGM (Post 1172627)
I got my tent done, and at night the auto dimming drivers side mirror kicks my @$$.

:iono: Got a hammer :sm0:

Mark-HD 02-06-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 Z/28 (Post 1454543)
:iono: Got a hammer :sm0:

I've got a big one...but I was thinking more a chainsaw...