Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Mag Ride... is it working? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578985)

legbuh 07-21-2020 07:56 AM

Mag Ride... is it working?

How do you tell if your Mag Ride is working?

I can't tell any difference between normal and sport. It's a 13 with about 30k miles on it.

On bigger bumps it seems a little clunky.

gtstorey 07-21-2020 08:31 AM

I've never ridden in one with the Mag ride, but everything I have heard says the difference is obvious. Check the shocks for signs of leaking.

ZMEnow 07-21-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legbuh (Post 10833089)
How do you tell if your Mag Ride is working?

I can't tell any difference between normal and sport. It's a 13 with about 30k miles on it.

On bigger bumps it seems a little clunky.

Jump on the freeway at 70 mph at normal switch to race you will feel the struts rapidly adjusting and the sensitivity of the steering wheel increase. That only confirms the struts are working but doesn’t confirm what shape they are in.

legbuh 07-22-2020 03:07 PM

I try them all different times.. the roads here in MN are everything from smooth to bumpy. I can't tell one iota of difference between the modes.. I don't hear or feel anything either.

ZMEnow 07-22-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legbuh (Post 10834063)
I try them all different times.. the roads here in MN are everything from smooth to bumpy. I can't tell one iota of difference between the modes.. I don't hear or feel anything either.

If you are quickly moving the wheel back and forth above 45mph in Ptm 5 race and cannot tell a difference over norm, then it’s not working.

legbuh 07-22-2020 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMEnow (Post 10834078)
If you are quickly moving the wheel back and forth above 45mph in Ptm 5 race and cannot tell a difference over norm, then it’s not working.

It's a vert, so no ptm5. Just normal, sport and then.. what is that when you hold it down for 5 seconds... that one. :)

What type of difference should you feel? Mushy to stiff?

mjsmith75 07-22-2020 05:30 PM

Hey..Im in MN too. Don't think about the steering feel at all, that's just an adjustment to the electric steering feel, not related to mag ride.

If you want to feel a difference.....as you are driving, start in tour, then go to sport. You should feel the car start to go a little more firm...mine bounces a little as it gets stiffer, it's quite noticeable.

When you go to PTM 5 (race mode) you should feel that same bounce, but it will get much firmer over bumps than sport.

ZMEnow 07-22-2020 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legbuh (Post 10834086)
It's a vert, so no ptm5. Just normal, sport and then.. what is that when you hold it down for 5 seconds... that one. :)

What type of difference should you feel? Mushy to stiff?

I did not see that you had a vert, totally different cars. But you should still notice a difference in the two modes, but the car was not designed to emulate PTM5.

legbuh 07-22-2020 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMEnow (Post 10834210)
I did not see that you had a vert, totally different cars. But you should still notice a difference in the two modes, but the car was not designed to emulate PTM5.

Sorry. I should have mentioned. either way, I feel no difference in any setting.. but I haven't really tested if the steering gets tighter. Just the ride doesn't change.

Brutale arancia 07-23-2020 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legbuh (Post 10834063)

As a novice to mag ride I didn't see the difference at first. For me a rough road (patched potholes) in tour, then the same pass in sport made it more obvious. Now? The harder you drive it, the more obvious it is.

FasNuf 08-09-2020 10:40 AM

Definately a difference thats easy to notice especially on a somewhat bumpy road. touring is smooth. flip right to track or sport and the car will oscillate much faster to the bumps.
Check to see if your shocks are leaking and the electrical connections. There should be a code if its not working right.

DrkPhx 08-09-2020 09:45 PM

Where in MN are you? As mentioned above; if you switch between the sport and tour mode in a steady state driving you can feel the car oscillate very quickly up and down before settling into the mode.

legbuh 08-10-2020 08:27 AM

I'm in the Mankato area. My ZL1 is a convertible.. not sure if that makes any difference.

I honestly don't feel (or hear) anything when pushing the buttons while driving. I scanned for codes and didn't get anything. I had the car up on my Quick Jack this spring and wheels off and didn't notice any leaking.

legbuh 08-10-2020 08:33 AM

Here's a thought I had. I have noticed a few subtle changes the PO did to the car. K&N CAI, the exhaust switch, aftermarket radio..

Is there any way or reason that the mag ride could or would have been disabled, or permanently put into a certain mode? The buttons do light up when pressed, I just really don't feel any difference with any mode. I haven't tried the launch control yet either. :)