CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Switching Gas on V8 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530669)

TheWiseWolf 06-04-2018 09:15 AM

Switching Gas on V8

While switching different octane (reg,plus,premium) fuel do any type of damage to the V8? I know the V6 can take reg fuel but can the V8 as well? Maybe not all the time but on days you know you wont be needing that higher level of fuel.

98_Camaro 06-04-2018 09:18 AM

The car will retard the timing and drop the horsepower into the low 300s. Not worth it to save at most $5 a fill-up.

SSport16 06-04-2018 09:33 AM

Premium only for the LT1 V8. You can use lower octane, but it will damage the engine after using long term. Like mentioned above not worth the extra few $.

2SSVERT 06-04-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSport16 (Post 10207424)
Premium only for the LT1 V8. You can uelse lower octane, but it will damage the engine after using long term. Like mentioned above not worth the extra few $.

It will not cause damage using lower octane fuel, you will get significantly lower fuel mileage and performance. The computer will pull timing to protect itself. That being, I wouldn't be doing a lot of spirited driving on regular gas.

a143gsxr 06-04-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSVERT (Post 10207546)
It will not cause damage using lower octane fuel, you will get significantly lower fuel mileage and performance. The computer will pull timing to protect itself. That being, I wouldn't be doing a lot of spirited driving on regular gas.

Yes exactly as stated here. 87 and 89 will not hurt but if you plan on visiting the track or beating on the car a little use 93 during those times.

brAnd7onX 06-04-2018 12:03 PM

Sigh... why do people buy V8's if they can't afford the gas...

JT58 06-04-2018 12:11 PM

Sometimes things change in life- jobs, our commutes, etc. Rather than put regular gas in my Gen 5 SS and invest a lot of money for body work for dents and repairs, I traded it for a new Gen 6. I got the V6- main reason living on a tight budget and gas. I was able to buy a new car, perhaps some others cannot afford to do so.

It would be nice of the SS would take E85- if you have it available where you live. It's 50 cents cheaper than regular per gallon where I live.

Kise 06-04-2018 12:15 PM

its always a chance of this and chance of that.
imo for something I spent 50k on, I wouldn't chance a thing especially for a few dollars extra.
i put reg in my Silverado ss once and i def noticed the difference and just off that experience im done playing with fire probably for the rest of my life haha.

ctrlz 06-04-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brAnd7onX (Post 10207595)
Sigh... why do people buy V8's if they can't afford the gas...

Beats me. Here in NJ (last state without self-serve gas), the attendant where I fill up tells me that most sports car owners ask for regular. He always compliments me for using premium! And this is a busy station on the way into a shore town known for its college-aged crowd (sea isle city). I see a lot of V8 Mustangs and Corvettes there.
The practice seems to be more common than I thought!

DeliveryMan 06-04-2018 01:07 PM

C'mon man. put the high octane in the V8. says right on the Fuel door

DSX_Camaro 06-04-2018 01:15 PM

It'll compound too. Lower octane means less power and less timing, meaning in low rpm high load scenarios (like cruising on the highway) it'll get worse gas mileage, which in turn means you'll be filling up more.

It's your car and you can do what you want with it. Just cringe worthy to me, like seeing a 6th gen SS without NPP. (I didn't even know it was possible until I saw one a few weeks ago with dual tips instead of quad... I've only seen NPP SS's for the last 2 or so years)

arpad_m 06-04-2018 04:17 PM

I agree with all those above, why take the risk. If it's a daily driver and things around the $$$ have changed for the worse in the meantime, I'd lean less on the pedal and shoot for better mileage to save money.

Call me nuts, but I'm even unhappy about the small amount of 87 that makes it in from the pipe before the 93 starts flowing... I haven't yet found a good station near me that has a separate head for premium.

mdhopt36 06-05-2018 06:42 AM

'Bout time someone mentioned that first gallon of 87 !!! Paying premium price for crap-gas!