Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Z/28 Radio -- None or single speaker? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285857)

DroptopZ 03-29-2013 12:07 PM

Z/28 Radio -- None or single speaker?

As the title states, I am curious what we know. Initially I read the press release as 'no radio' since they were trying to save weight, but I know they kept the single speaker for the door chime (is this the one by the key, or does it come out of the central dash speaker?).

The pictures seem to depict a 2010-2012 style radio w/ CD. This would suggest to me that the car might have a single speaker. While a small issue and certainly the least important in my mind as it relates to the performance of the car, I'm curious. If no radio, what will they put in its place?

GearheadSS 03-29-2013 12:59 PM

It does have a single speaker for the door chime. I'm guessing it has a radio for the bluetooth, phone and onstar capability.

woodside783 03-29-2013 01:00 PM

G meter

Ron66Vette&10SS 03-29-2013 01:11 PM

I read somewhere that the speaker is in the driver's door.

From the pictures I've seen it looks like it still has a radio and the grills are still in the passenger door, rear, and center dash. I'm thinking it shouldn't be too difficult for people to install more speakers if they want to.

GearheadSS 03-29-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron66Vette&10SS (Post 6354421)
I read somewhere that the speaker is in the driver's door.

From the pictures I've seen it looks like it still has a radio and the grills are still in the passenger door, rear, and center dash. I'm thinking it shouldn't be too difficult for people to install more speakers if they want to.

Unless the wiring is gone for weight savings.

Ron66Vette&10SS 03-29-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearheadSS (Post 6354512)
Unless the wiring is gone for weight savings.

According to GM, they did delete all the unnecessary wiring for weight, but I still don't think it would be too tough.....maybe not plug & play, but still doable. I'd rather splice & run wires from a donor stereo connector than have to figure out where to cut & mount speakers any day.

Bad@ssCamaro 03-29-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodside783 (Post 6354381)
G meter

That would be cool :headbang:

RoadieWingZ 03-31-2013 01:18 AM

My guess is pics with radio are showing the "optional" radio,which can be ordered; similar to the idea that AC is optional, but can be ordered......

Cap'n Pete 03-31-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadieWingZ (Post 6361782)
My guess is pics with radio are showing the "optional" radio,which can be ordered; similar to the idea that AC is optional, but can be ordered......

I'd want a radio ..... even if it is just for the track, listening to some tunes is a good way to clear your head before (and after!) going out on the track ;). And obviously, driving to/from the track, you gotta have driving music going!!! :headbang:

Angrybird 12 03-31-2013 07:27 PM

Many of the controls and alarms are set through the radio. So I think you get the base radio CD player but it only comes with one speaker for the chimes turn signal clicks ect....

ALLTRBO 04-01-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6364765)
Many of the controls and alarms are set through the radio. So I think you get the base radio CD player but it only comes with one speaker for the chimes turn signal clicks ect....

This ^^^ makes the most sense. I do wish they would have clarified, though.
A radio with one speaker (it's not a bad one, at that) would be 100x better than no radio at all.

Sleepy 04-01-2013 02:27 PM

jump to 2:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrAWwt0Nkr4

ALLTRBO 04-01-2013 02:47 PM

Thanks! I missed that one.
I guess that's that, then. Radio with one speaker. :thumbsup:

fastball 04-03-2013 08:07 AM

If I bought this car, I would remove the speaker and radio, and just fabricate a lightweight plastic or fiberglass filler panel, remove the radio, and install the panel as filler over it (painted either black or dark grey).

This car is for track purposes. So you don't need to hear the seatbelt chime, headlight reminder chime, door ajar chime, or turn signal click. You don't need music since the sound of the engine is all you want to hear anyway. Sure the feds mandate that it be there at production, but once you take possession there's nothing that says you can't take that stuff out. And it's not like you're taking this car on any long vacation trips, so you really don't need any of the modern conveniences. If you do aspire to take this car on a long drive, you're missing the point of it's existence, and I can name at least 4 cars in what will probably be the Z/28 price range that are fantastic, upscale cars that you can enjoy long distance drives in.