Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   What short shifter are you using? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524862)

Z/oro 04-01-2018 06:48 AM

What short shifter are you using?

I'm looking into potentially getting a short throw shifter and particularly looking for feedback on the bowler but I am open to any suggestions. I'm not necessarily looking for a super short throw but overall experience. Meaning tactically, vibration, weight and notch. I want as visceral of an experience every time I go for a drive. Nothing wrong with the stock but is there more out there I'm missing out on as far as that goes?

ronchev 04-01-2018 08:08 AM

I just put a MGW in mine but have not drove it yet, engine upgrades not done.
This shifter is very well made for the money and is a complete shifter body not just the drop in stick like a lot of others out there. What sold me on this one was the fact that its has return to center spring built in that I don't think any of the other have but should all but eliminate missed 2-3rd gear shifts.

There are reviews out there that I have read on most all shifters for our cars but Don't remember where, Google and Im sure you will find it or someone here may chime in.

This MGW does feel nice shifting gears just setting in the car, a little more precise than the factory shifter, a more direct shift feel (stock feels rubbery) even though the stock shifter is pretty good but this all is without driving it yet so I can't comment on noise or vibration yet. Hope this helps some

O.F. 04-01-2018 08:25 AM

I have a Hurst that I bought used. It's fine, a little sloppy but works as advertised. My biggest concern is the OEM linkage that is still left behind. It may be plenty strong but I feel like I could break it with a hard shift. I haven't seen one yet to see the difference but I would look at MGW for that reason alone as it replaces everything.

Some of you folks who have MGW's care to comment?

1911 1LE 04-01-2018 09:18 AM

I've had my MGW for 8 months and love it. The overall feel is much better than the stock 1le shifter, IMO. I can still miss a shift every now and then though. Driver mod needed.

ZapperZ 04-01-2018 04:07 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/schwar...7690890271232/

jchinn6 04-01-2018 06:48 PM

I have Bowler's and love it!

pat_t 04-02-2018 02:55 PM

Barton Industries also make one for the Camaro 5 that seems to get good reviews. It's a crowded marketplace out there!!

theragtopguy 04-02-2018 03:38 PM

I dunno who made it, I guess GM, but I ordered it from the factory.

Love it!!

STALKER 04-08-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat_t (Post 10131060)
Barton Industries also make one for the Camaro 5 that seems to get good reviews. It's a crowded marketplace out there!!

Barton is nice but I couldn't take the rattle, so I ditched it. It does get good reviews though.

STALKER 04-08-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theragtopguy (Post 10131128)
I dunno who made it, I guess GM, but I ordered it from the factory.

Love it!!

Its probably the 1LE shifter. My Spring Edition didn't come with it, but thats what I switched to after the trying the Barton. I like the 1LE too, but that's what the Z28 comes with stock though I think.

Z/oro 04-12-2018 07:06 PM

Thank for everyone's input I ended up going with the mgw and could not be happier with it. However I ran into some trouble. I installed it using ramps only and it was tough to get the rubber boot installed right so when I took it out for the test drive it came of and caught the driveshaft and ripped off. Any suggestions on how to replace the boot or alternative to covering the linkage from the elements?

LINYSS 05-14-2018 01:56 PM

MGW feels amazing

FLOW TIE 05-17-2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z/oro (Post 10146399)
Thank for everyone's input I ended up going with the mgw and could not be happier with it. However I ran into some trouble. I installed it using ramps only and it was tough to get the rubber boot installed right so when I took it out for the test drive it came of and caught the driveshaft and ripped off. Any suggestions on how to replace the boot or alternative to covering the linkage from the elements?

I’ll probaly go w the MGW as well.
Did you keep stock boot/knob or change to lever/ball?

Sorry, I don’t have an answer for you on the rubber boot ripping off.
They do have a detailed under car video on install on the MGW website.

LINYSS 05-17-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLOW TIE (Post 10188045)
I’ll probaly go w the MGW as well.
Did you keep stock boot/knob or change to lever/ball?

Sorry, I don’t have an answer for you on the rubber boot ripping off.
They do have a detailed under car video on install on the MGW website.

I kept the stock boot and changed the knob