Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Ported and polished intake manifold (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572569)

SonicChris 03-28-2020 02:12 AM

Ported and polished intake manifold

8 Attachment(s)
Am halfway done porting and polishing my intake manifold, from the entrance of the 80mm throttle body, the the full length of the runners on the inside, to the metal lower intake. The metal piece has been polished to a mirror finish, and has come from 3.9mm to just under 4.5mm. The plastic runners I also managed to polish up pretty well, they're nice and smooth again but noticably wider. I also posted pics of the metal piece just rotated, so you can see just how much meat I was able to get from both the runners inside and the metal itself. I also have the LLT engine, so my ports are O shaped rather than D shaped, which was much easier to work with. Still need to finish up the entrance, and then do the other half of the manifold but it's coming along pretty nice

SonicChris 03-28-2020 02:15 AM

The pictures look like the plastic and metal meet pretty unevenly, but they're actually matched up almost exactly. Just looks funky because the black plastic is reflecting off the mirror finish of the metal

15RS2NV 03-30-2020 02:44 PM

I had my intake and 80mm TB ported at Air Flow Solutions. Bret did a full porting; cut it open and ported all throughout. It made a hell of a difference. Throttle response is through the roof now. I love it.

If you don't have one, i'd recommend a spacer from MACE Engineering. They call them 'insulators.' I have the 25mm (1 inch) and with the porting done it gets a lot more air into the combustion chambers faster. I'm at, what i believe is the top of the ECM's learning curve with all the air going in without a tune. I also have the ACCEL Super Coils to give me more spark with all that air.

Great to see others upgrading their LFX too. Sometimes i think i'm the only one doing it.

SIM GhostrdrZ 03-30-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 15RS2NV (Post 10756428)
I had my intake and 80mm TB ported at Air Flow Solutions. Bret did a full porting; cut it open and ported all throughout. It made a hell of a difference. Throttle response is through the roof now. I love it.

If you don't have one, i'd recommend a spacer from MACE Engineering. They call them 'insulators.' I have the 25mm (1 inch) and with the porting done it gets a lot more air into the combustion chambers faster. I'm at, what i believe is the top of the ECM's learning curve with all the air going in without a tune. I also have the ACCEL Super Coils to give me more spark with all that air.

Great to see others upgrading their LFX too. Sometimes i think i'm the only one doing it.

I have the tune from overkill for my 80mm tb and port matched intake. It made a positive difference vs another tune w/o that taken into consideration. I’ve got the insulator as well.

Did the super coils make much difference?

SonicChris 03-30-2020 03:55 PM

I've done a ton of work, what do you mean by super coils though?

DSX_Camaro 03-30-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 15RS2NV (Post 10756428)

Fortunately that isn't the case.

15RS2NV 03-31-2020 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicChris (Post 10756458)
I've done a ton of work, what do you mean by super coils though?

Ignition coils - stock were replaced with Accel Super [ignition] Coils. They provide a much better spark over stock. And, the only aftermarket company i found who makes one for the LFX.

SonicChris 04-01-2020 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 15RS2NV (Post 10757394)
Ignition coils - stock were replaced with Accel Super [ignition] Coils. They provide a much better spark over stock. And, the only aftermarket company i found who makes one for the LFX.

I didn't know there even was an aftermarket option. Did you do any voltage testing or anything to see if theres any improvement over stock?

gunchamp 04-03-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicChris (Post 10754872)
Am halfway done porting and polishing my intake manifold, from the entrance of the 80mm throttle body, the the full length of the runners on the inside, to the metal lower intake. The metal piece has been polished to a mirror finish, and has come from 3.9mm to just under 4.5mm. The plastic runners I also managed to polish up pretty well, they're nice and smooth again but noticably wider. I also posted pics of the metal piece just rotated, so you can see just how much meat I was able to get from both the runners inside and the metal itself. I also have the LLT engine, so my ports are O shaped rather than D shaped, which was much easier to work with. Still need to finish up the entrance, and then do the other half of the manifold but it's coming along pretty nice

Nice job in there!

SonicChris 04-03-2020 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, should go nice with my next project

DSX_Camaro 04-03-2020 10:15 PM

This thread motivated me to pull my intake system apart and finally port my intake manifold to match my 80mm TB, since I had one from before the 80mm was an option. So thanks.

(Also, most people have a ton of issues with the Accel coils... you might get lucky if you try them, but the Delco ones are by no means bad)

p.s. 04-09-2020 12:08 PM

what exactly do people fill the oil gully in with? Maybe I'm paranoid but I worry that the oil will breakdown the epoxy eventually. I dont know if I want to justify $100 for the laminator piece. Maybe ill just port the first inch of the manifold to match the throttle body and clip the top turbulence part and leave the dip.

DSX_Camaro 04-09-2020 03:35 PM

I forget what Jason uses for his ported LFX manifolds but it is fine and holds up to sanding as I have found out now. I've had one since they came out (6 years), no issues.

SonicChris 04-09-2020 04:41 PM

I used the highest strength steel epoxy I could find, was only 10 bucks or so. 900psi tensile strength, heat resistant to I think 250, cleaned and degreased the manifold real good first. It isn't coming out anytime soon, trust me. Now if you used something weaker and not high temp resistant, you'd have issues