Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Is 1st trans. fluid change OK at 100K? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523591)

geminisbro 03-18-2018 08:54 AM

Is 1st trans. fluid change OK at 100K?

1 Attachment(s)
So I made a mistake, and while I followed all the other service recommendations, I didn't get the transmission fluid flushed at 50K.
Now (its at 100046 miles) I take it to the local auto shop and they say they won't do it because its 'dangerous', but didn't get a very good explanation on why....here's a footnote included on the quote from the shop:
_________
CAUTION: High Mileage Vehicles: If you have not had your transmission fluid flushed in accordance of your vehicle manufacturer recommendations, this service may cause damage. :yikes:
_________

So I called the Chevy Dealer and they said they could do it because they have a 'special machine' that will be safe to use...my father seemed to think this may be suspect, but the folks there do specialize in Chevy.

What should I do? Chevy Dealer or leave it alone?

Thanks in advance!

polizzio 03-19-2018 08:49 AM

I'm not so sure I'd do the flush thing, but I'd surely have a shop drop the pan and replace the filter. Then makeup with new fluid to correct level. Just leaving it alone at this point and driving on is foolish. Normal auto tranny service recommendation is @ 97k in owners manual.

I have a 2012 V6 auto with ~ 58k mileage. I want to have the above done any time now. I did quite a bit of reading on line about flushing, and a lot of comments out there are not good.

We had another thread on the similar discussion, but never got a lot of input. Seems many just driving on with the automatics. I was hoping for more discussion, more input/experiences from owners here. Many of the 2010/2011s are way over 100k miles now.

polizzio 03-19-2018 08:56 AM

AC Delco V6 auto tranny filter $28 at rock auto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=586&jsn=586

DonM 03-19-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polizzio (Post 10113857)
I'm not so sure I'd do the flush thing, but I'd surely have a shop drop the pan and replace the filter. Then makeup with new fluid to correct level. Just leaving it alone at this point and driving on is foolish. Normal auto tranny service recommendation is @ 97k in owners manual.

I have a 2012 V6 auto with ~ 58k mileage. I want to have the above done any time now. I did quite a bit of reading on line about flushing, and a lot of comments out there are not good.

We had another thread on the similar discussion, but never got a lot of input. Seems many just driving on with the automatics. I was hoping for more discussion, more input/experiences from owners here. Many of the 2010/2011s are way over 100k miles now.

If I remember this right, leaving the fluid in an auto trans too long can cause varnish build up on the parts & seals. Then when a flush is done, the cleaners in the new fluid 'clean off' all the built up varnish leaving you with increased clearances on moving parts and possibly leaky gaskets.

I had an old 1975 Ford Pinto with over 70,000 miles when I did a drain, filter change and refill, not even a flush and after that once the trans got hot, I lost 3rd and reverse gears. Granted your car is about 40 years newer than my old Pinto, but you never know.

ChibiBlackSheep 03-19-2018 03:49 PM

If your trans has hard part failure AFTER a flush is done... then you already had transmission issues and it was just a bandaid at that point.

I would still get it done, if you feel like your trans should still be strong (as if it's been mostly highway miles, why not?) then get it flushed. If you are afraid of any issues arising, then I do agree just doing a pan drop, filter swap, and replacing half the fluid is better than doing nothing.

geminisbro 03-19-2018 06:57 PM

Thanks to Polizzio and y'all for the great responses. Much better than the mechanic(s) was, lol.

polizzio 03-20-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geminisbro (Post 10114665)
Thanks to Polizzio and y'all for the great responses. Much better than the mechanic(s) was, lol.

You're welcome. Let us know what you do, and how it all works out in the end.

Deputy347k9 03-20-2018 06:05 PM

I was just reviewing my note regarding servicing the Camaro. I have written differential 75W-90 (1 quart( at 45K, 90K, 135K. Transmission (Dexron-VI 6.7 quarts) at 97,500 miles. For the engine I only use Royal Purple HSP 5-30.

KenKat 03-20-2018 06:18 PM

For my 2014, auto trans fluid change is indicated at 45k but next to that it indicates “(Applies to: Severe)”. So, you may be fine to change at 100k.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...t%20Camaro.pdf

StreetRage320 03-20-2018 07:13 PM

Transmissions with heavy wear will have abrassives mixed/suspended in the fluid, ironically the abrasives can assist and help prevent slipping where tolerances are not longer to spec. The theory is that if you flush them out with clean transmission fluid, the result can be you loose the abrasives in the fluid and now you may have slipping issues.

IMO I would proceed with your fluid/filter/gasket change.

good luck op

jcampos 08-30-2018 11:03 PM

That sucks. Changed mine plus rear differential at the same time when I hit 25k. Then changed both trans and diff again at 50k. I will probably be leaving mine alone for a good while now. Of course, I have an LS3

mr_honez 08-31-2018 05:46 AM

Got mine done @ 100K. Has 10K more on it now, and shifts great.

DSX_Camaro 08-31-2018 09:43 AM

Yeah, with a V6 auto I'd also have the differential fluid changed now. You don't have an LSD so you don't need to change it as frequently as manual V6 / SS guys. But auto fluid change is a good idea. Would recommend doing it at 50k after this though.

mr_honez 08-31-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro (Post 10298793)
Yeah, with a V6 auto I'd also have the differential fluid changed now. You don't have an LSD so you don't need to change it as frequently as manual V6 / SS guys. But auto fluid change is a good idea. Would recommend doing it at 50k after this though.

That is the plan now. :thumb: